Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-2R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-2R
Yaesu VX-2R Reviews: 131 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $229.00
Description: The Yaesu VX-2R is a microminiature 2 meter/440 MHz handheld with extensive receive frequency coverage, providing local-area two-way amateur communications along with unmatched monitoring capability. It is the worlds smallest HT with 1.5/1 watt output on 2M/440.

Its incredible size allows you to take it anywhere. Receive range is: 500 kHz to 999 MHz (less cellular). This means you can hear the AM, shortwave and FM broadcast bands, TV audio, aircraft and public service channels. CTCSS/DCS with split tone capability is built in. Over 1300 total memories are available including 900 regular memories, 11 home channels, and 50 pairs of band edge memories. You can scan just the memories, the entire operating band or a portion of that band. The aluminum diecast chassis is very rugged.

Power output is with the supplied 1 amp hour Lithium Ion battery 1.5 watts VHF and 1 watt UHF. With the optional E-DC-21 DC adapter output jumps to 3 watts and 2 watts! The VX-2R comes with the FNB-82LI lithium ion battery and NC-85B charger, SMA flexible antenna, belt clip, plus a wrist strap.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/handheld.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-2R.

VE3XQT Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Only one like it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think my VX-2R is almost 10 years old and works and looks like new. For the size and output it is an outstanding HT. I have a VX-8DR with all the accessories and just brought a FT1DR home yesterday but will never sell me VX-2R. It's a great little hand that is so easy to carry or hide in your shirt pocket.

N3OQD Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2012 23:34 Send this review to a friend
Overview  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Considering its size and power output, it is a fine little radio. Got mine used at a local hamfest this past winter for about $80. The included rubber duck did poorly. Tried an 8 inch wire-whip antenna and got a moderate improvement. Then and finally I used a 20 inch wire-whip and BINGO! It was the answer to my radio. The spare batteries and charger are dirt cheap on e-bay. This because the battery is a common cellphone type. Most of the time I use it to listen to broadcast radio. With a long wire AM and SW do quite fine. Nice, small and inconspicuous.

KF5IKN Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2011 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Low Power Device  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this for some time now, and find it extremely easy to use, and fun radio.

KF6UME Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2009 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Great HT, SUPER EASY  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a second-hand VX-2R at a ham club auction. I was able to get the HT on the air and programmed with several repeaters without the manual. It's one of the easiest radios I've ever used, aside from the FT-60R.

Another ham commented that the VX-2R is "deaf" from 76-108 MHz. Mine is not. One of the band segments specifically receives 59-108Mhz. This is a MARS modified radio, so maybe that's why.

Speaking of the MARS mod, this is a great unit IF you need FRS, GMRS or MARINE transmit capability. For camping, boating, and amateur use, this is a perfect radio.

The size is tiny and so is the power output. If you don't live within receiving range of a repeater with good ears, you may have trouble kerchunking with only 1.5 watts.

M0FRH Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 03:40 Send this review to a friend
Keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my VX-2 for 3 years and still enjoy using it for ham and scanning use. Replace the the stock antenna with SRH 519 or SMA 24 and it receives much better. Also own a VX-3 but it's always the 2 that is used most. 73 Ian

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2009 04:20 Send this review to a friend
Probably my second review, but justified...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Last week my VX-2R fell 340 feet from a broadcast tower and hit the grassy earth.

It had the stock duck connected and was protected only by the vinyl Yaesu case.

It still works perfectly and looks just like it did before the fall. I know--I would find that hard to believe also, but it is true.

I bought this HT mostly to listen, as there were no repeaters I could hit even with more power. Now we have a nice linked repeater system and I'd like to have a 5-watt HT. Judging from my experience, what brand do you think I will probably buy?

NP3WH Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2008 23:20 Send this review to a friend
NOT A BIG PROBLEM!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For those of you who have the proplem were the radio will NOT POWER UP... just connect the wall chgr if you don't want to remove the battery. NOTE: The VX-3R has the same problem. On top of that, the radio is deaf between 76Mhz to 108Mhz.
For those of you who have the VX-2R keep it... don't change it for the VX-3R or the IC-P7

VK7XGW Rating: 3/5 Feb 4, 2008 03:49 Send this review to a friend
not quite up to Yaesu's usual standard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well i've had this little h/h since early Dec 2007 and can only agree with comments about the standard antenna, it's generally useless out side it design TX freq's, no biggie though as there's plenty of after market options. BUT for me the biggest issue is a semi-regular problem with not been able to turn the radio back on after charging. I use the supplied "wall wart" which is the one approved for Aust 240V (radio is the local "version" from a Yaesu approved seller). I've found that the radio will indicate full charge, so I disconnect the charger and push the on button; zip, nil, nothing................ grrrrrr.......
reconnect the charger and push the power button and all is happy, disconnect the power and all works as expected. Another local Ham doesn't have this issue with his so it appears as reported here, spasmodic

I'm holding off sending it for service till the wife's Kenwood arrives so I'm not without an handie.............

KE4BFG Rating: 0/5 Sep 5, 2007 21:34 Send this review to a friend
LOUSEY RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this rig from a well known dealer.
After I recieved it there was no recieve at all in the radio.I could bring up local repeaters but had to use my scanner for a reciever.Crazy.
I called the dealer and they said "It was working when it left here and that I needed to reread the manual that came with it."After a lot of unnecessary haggleing,they finally agreed to "accept" it for warranty service.
Provided I pay all shipping.
I know anybody can get "a bad one" occasionally but I don't need salt poured in my wounds.
I'll pick someone else to deal with in the future.

K2GK Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2007 09:07 Send this review to a friend
love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it so often that the buttons have worn off!
Are the labels replaceable?
By the way I have this since it first came out. I use it on the "Bunny Hunts". Very good S-meter and sensitivity to help find the "Box".
It has an built in attenuator to deaden the signal when you get close.
Gary k2gk