Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-2R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-2R
Yaesu VX-2R Reviews: 135 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $229.00
Description: The Yaesu VX-2R is a microminiature 2 meter/440 MHz handheld with extensive receive frequency coverage, providing local-area two-way amateur communications along with unmatched monitoring capability. It is the worlds smallest HT with 1.5/1 watt output on 2M/440.

Its incredible size allows you to take it anywhere. Receive range is: 500 kHz to 999 MHz (less cellular). This means you can hear the AM, shortwave and FM broadcast bands, TV audio, aircraft and public service channels. CTCSS/DCS with split tone capability is built in. Over 1300 total memories are available including 900 regular memories, 11 home channels, and 50 pairs of band edge memories. You can scan just the memories, the entire operating band or a portion of that band. The aluminum diecast chassis is very rugged.

Power output is with the supplied 1 amp hour Lithium Ion battery 1.5 watts VHF and 1 watt UHF. With the optional E-DC-21 DC adapter output jumps to 3 watts and 2 watts! The VX-2R comes with the FNB-82LI lithium ion battery and NC-85B charger, SMA flexible antenna, belt clip, plus a wrist strap.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/handheld.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-2R.

NP3WH Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2008 23:20 Send this review to a friend
NOT A BIG PROBLEM!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For those of you who have the proplem were the radio will NOT POWER UP... just connect the wall chgr if you don't want to remove the battery. NOTE: The VX-3R has the same problem. On top of that, the radio is deaf between 76Mhz to 108Mhz.
For those of you who have the VX-2R keep it... don't change it for the VX-3R or the IC-P7

VK7XGW Rating: 3/5 Feb 4, 2008 03:49 Send this review to a friend
not quite up to Yaesu's usual standard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well i've had this little h/h since early Dec 2007 and can only agree with comments about the standard antenna, it's generally useless out side it design TX freq's, no biggie though as there's plenty of after market options. BUT for me the biggest issue is a semi-regular problem with not been able to turn the radio back on after charging. I use the supplied "wall wart" which is the one approved for Aust 240V (radio is the local "version" from a Yaesu approved seller). I've found that the radio will indicate full charge, so I disconnect the charger and push the on button; zip, nil, nothing................ grrrrrr.......
reconnect the charger and push the power button and all is happy, disconnect the power and all works as expected. Another local Ham doesn't have this issue with his so it appears as reported here, spasmodic

I'm holding off sending it for service till the wife's Kenwood arrives so I'm not without an handie.............

KE4BFG Rating: 0/5 Sep 5, 2007 21:34 Send this review to a friend
LOUSEY RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this rig from a well known dealer.
After I recieved it there was no recieve at all in the radio.I could bring up local repeaters but had to use my scanner for a reciever.Crazy.
I called the dealer and they said "It was working when it left here and that I needed to reread the manual that came with it."After a lot of unnecessary haggleing,they finally agreed to "accept" it for warranty service.
Provided I pay all shipping.
I know anybody can get "a bad one" occasionally but I don't need salt poured in my wounds.
I'll pick someone else to deal with in the future.

K2GK Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2007 09:07 Send this review to a friend
love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it so often that the buttons have worn off!
Are the labels replaceable?
By the way I have this since it first came out. I use it on the "Bunny Hunts". Very good S-meter and sensitivity to help find the "Box".
It has an built in attenuator to deaden the signal when you get close.
Gary k2gk

KD0BEP Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2007 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent with the proper antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have owned this unit for about a month and a half and have really enjoyed it, well actually when i got the proper equipment. I started transmitting with this unit right after i got my license but was having trouble (then i didnt know how far 1.5 watts would really get you)finally i was making it in on the ocasional basis but another ham said i was so bad he was going to give me an antenna. hesitated about weather to go through with this i went to a local ham store i wanted to see how much these antennas went for. not knowing which antenna was the best and even what antenna he was giving me i tried a few. the best one i tried was the sma 24. once seeing the antenna i liked was $30 i decided to walk out and try the antenna the ham was offering me. Turns out the antenna he wanted to give me was an sma 24! long story short without the sma 24 i could only go id say 5 miles and i was iffy but with the sma 24 i can go 8 miles and be crisp! my only complaint is the lack of range at the start (with the rubber duck).

KC8ZEV Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2007 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Pocket Rocket HT!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was HIGHLY skeptical of this little HT, at 1.5 watts, I didn't think it would work for local repeaters. Man, was I wrong. It works local machines very well. It's size is amazing. I take it just about everywhere, its wideband receive is very impressive. Audio is pretty good, considering it's size. Batteries are common, plentiful and cheap.....it is basically a cell phone battery. Battery life is very good on receive, on tx, it is decent. Built in mic is excellant as far as they go. Programming software is useful, no direct keypad entry with this model. Big fingers can still work this little marvel. External power is 6V, so appropriate power supply and 12v adapter is required. Stock antenna looks laughable, put performance silences any chuckles quickly. Be sure when considering a aftermarket SMA antenna that the center pin is long enough to reach the pin hole, some aftermarkets antennas may not make it. A fun little HT, it is no toy!!! You can't call this HT a brick!!

M0PME Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2007 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Hand Held  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this when i was in Las Vegas. Great rig ,very useful, its goes with me all over the globe. I rate this rig as the most usefull hand held i have owned so far. NP60 batters are realy cheep on Ebay as well.

N3YZ Rating: 2/5 Jul 14, 2007 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Power Up Problem  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As per the previous comments, the rig may not power up. Battery removal and reinsertion solves it - for a while. Good rig for the price, however. Hope the new VX-3 doesn't have this problem.

KI4VTN Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2007 14:12 Send this review to a friend
VX-2R Bliss  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a Yaesu VX-2R as my first HT after receiving my ham license a few weeks earlier. I bought this radio because it was the most inexpensive dual-bander I could find, which also happened to have the wide-band receive and not too mention the small size! This radio is indeed very small. I carry this radio around with me on a University campus, and on one odd occasion it was mistaken for a cell phone :)

Transmit power is low, but I realized this when I bought the radio. I will buy a more powerful HT later; for now the VX-2R is more than powerful enough for hitting the K4UCF repeater, especially when I'm usually less than 500' from the antenna at any given time when I'm on campus. As well I can reach several repeaters in the area, if not only listen. Living in a neighborhood with houses on all sides blocks quite a bit of signal. The Comet SMA24 helps immensely on 70cm and 2m, and with a 1/2 wave such as the Smiley 2M flex, I can actually hit the KT4AZ repeater from my bedroom (I'm in Oviedo).

I love this little radio. I've described it to people which such phrases as "a scanner with a built-in transmitter" and "an antenna with a radio on it." I have it programmed with several non-ham frequencies, such as the FRS frequencies, local broadcast FM and TV frequencies, the Seminole County Emergency Frequencies and so on. Even if I can't talk, there is always plenty to listen to. I only wish I could do SSB/CW.

I am giving this radio a 5 for great, because it really is. It would be the most awesome radio ever if it could do 5 watts, but the small size and fun factor more than makes up for it.

KG4WRM Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2007 16:17 Send this review to a friend
power-up problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overall it is a good radio. I've had mine for about a month. Sometimes it will not power up at all. Removing the battery and reinserting corrects the problem.

The guy at HRO tells me to send it in for warranty service.