Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-259 Help

MFJ-259 Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $259
Description: MFJ-259 HF/VHF SWR ANALYYZER
1.8-170 mhZ Invalid item - see MFJ-259B
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-259B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-259.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2014 06:36 Send this review to a friend
old ones are made different  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquire my MFJ-259 (original unit) about 21-years ago, and it has never given me any problems [lucky me] Even now, it still works fine.

USE it to turn (with external tuner) windoms and dipoles, at low power ratings. I always get SWR-readings LOWER than 1.2 : 1

Don't think the units made now, work the same. Will buy another brand, when that time comes.

Ken KC8Y

If this unit goes bad, I'd ooonkers

W7MY Rating: 0/5 Aug 29, 2014 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Analyzer great - MFJ BAD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 259 is the standard for antenna analysis and components; that's the good news.

the bad news is their service which is almost non-existent. I have had MFJ products for decades and their service was acceptable but that was then and now their repair service is awful!

I sent them my 259 with blown diodes in late January and its almost September,going on the eighth month!!

They were quick to charge me credit card (three months) but still no repair. I called them a month ago and the tech looked it up and said, "yea we have had it a while; I'll take a look at it today and get it out to you". Well guess what, nothing happened.

My latest attempt was to open a case on-line asking for a response and so far the same result, nothing.

If you have an alternative to MFJ products, I'd use it unless you can do your own repairs.

W0BBI Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2014 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Very good unit.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased my unit new from HRO over 6 years ago. It has preformed flawlessly since day one. I have had none of the issues others have mentioned. Up the tower, in the rain, on the bench, regardless where it goes, it works well. If you need a super duper, do all unit that make graphs and talks to your computer, look elsewhere and have a fat check book. If you want a basic unit that has some nice additional features and accessories, look no further.

K2DCG Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2014 09:36 Send this review to a friend
It Just Works...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquired three MFJ-259's from my Elmer (KA3ZAR) before he passed. They work, as advertised, and none of them have bad solder joints. One is on my bench and the other is for outside use…the third is a future organ donor, when needed. I have built several antennas and baluns and they worked like a charm. Are they NASA-quality devices, no, but for what I do the accuracy/tolerance is fine.

Perhaps three units are not a true statistical sampling of quality control but there’s no junk here.

N1EE Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2013 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Wish it still worked  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this many years ago, and had problems with the battery holders. I beefed them up with tie-wraps to hold the batteries in place. This worked for a while until the plastic holder cracked apart. Then I started using the external 12V input. After this it died completely and I have just dug it out to try and fix it. When it worked it was an invaluable piece of equipment. I have some older feedline that has failed and I want to retest all my feedline. I am on a fence. I don't want to spend a small fortune on a Comet, but I don't want another MFJ. I may send it back to MFJ and see what happens. Would I buy one again? Perhaps if I could find one with the meter and freqency counter like this one. I don't like the new model 269.

W0NTS Rating: 4/5 Nov 15, 2011 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Could be better, W0NTS  Time owned: more than 12 months
It does what it is designed to do. My unit is an early one, The battery holders are junk! They break when the batteries are inserted. I have obtained replacements from MFJ. They broke the first time I inserted batteries. I have been unable to obtain similar style battery holders. Yesterday I purchased battery holders for AAA cells from Radio Shack. I will now use them in my 259. In addition to the battery holder problem, MFJ could have provided a better way to access the batteries than taking the 259 apart. The frequency set control is very "twitchy". A vernier or something similar could have solved that. My 259 has been back to MFJ once for repair. It seemed to take forever to get it back, but the repair was effective.

AI0S Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2011 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Nice tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quality is not great but OK. Some sloppy solder connections but otherwise it's fine. Nice, inexpensive, useful and easy to want to have around at all times test equipment. I've now got a switch position which connects this analyzer to my antennas so I can get things tweaked before going on the air. Don't leave it connected to one antenna and transmit on another close by because you might blow the input bridge diodes. Also, someone commented on not great battery life and that is because this thing has to have an oscillator powerful enough to give meaningful results which drains batteries. But - that's the physics of this design....

KB5KWO Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2011 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Saves Time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked mine up at a garage sale .. and wont tell you what I paid for it :} - This tool saves lots of trimmin' time on wires and shows one where to spin the knobs on an antenna tuner quickly.. - My HF Vertical antenna now sings perfect resonance as does my mobile VHF. - Also, some antennas resonate on other unknown bands which the analyzer will shed light on as well . I think I will soon read the manual and see what else this thing does..

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2010 15:34 Send this review to a friend
neat device  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the mfj-259 for about 17-years...Back then, when you purchased the item, you got the AC-Adapter with the unit...

I use mine to help me tune my antennas with my antenna tuner to give me the lowest/best SWR at the frequency I'm operating at...Surely this unit deserves a much higher rating than 5...

Have never had any problems using it, BUT don't know about what the NEW units are like...

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2009 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Handy tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall if you can pick one up used at a good price as I have it, or it's newer version MFJ-259B, is a handy device to have in your shack. I have had mine for about 2 years. All of these are expensive for the quality of components used in them, but they work. I would probably rated mine a 5 if it had better quality meters. These meters are indicators that will get you in the ballpark, but not accurate enough to give an accurate resistance and the unit will not give direct reactance readings as a GR bridge, but at quite a bit less cost than the GR. I'd rather use the GR, but the 259 is much handier.

I've found that these are quite dependable, but limited to measuring SWR with any kind of relable result. I have used the 259B and 269 and find the accuracy not much different between any of them when the same measurement is compared with my GR RF bridge.

The results I have found from attempting to check traps and resonant circuits ... I'll stay with my GR and HP products even if I must drag cables and or portable power to where I need to usthem.

Cost-wise the 259B or 269 are not worth the price when purchased new. If MFJ or their competition would at least use good Simpson or other USA made meters with good graduations and accuracy they would be worth what they sell for new.