Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ-259 Help

MFJ-259 Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $259
Description: MFJ-259 HF/VHF SWR ANALYYZER
1.8-170 mhZ Invalid item - see MFJ-259B
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-259B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-259.

N0FPE Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2008 21:10 Send this review to a friend
259/269  Time owned: more than 12 months
works great.. handy ONE thing..be very careful abt using the thing around active transmitters. even if you dont have it hooked up a nearby transmitter can blow out the 0 ohm resister and it is $69 for MFJ to replace it. I found out the hard way when testing my mobile antennas and my APRS radio beaconed. Damn!!!

N8ERM Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2008 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful test gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for 6 years. It works great. Tune your tuner with it, tune your antenna. Then read the manual to see what it really can do.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2008 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Its a MUST  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned mine for seven years now and it has never failed,I have tuned all my antennas with it,never has used with batteries,only with a wall transformer,every ham should have one of these at the shack to save time and not to bother neighboors tunning antennas with high power.When mine brake some day IF it does,with my eyes closed I will buy one more again.

G7TPL Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2008 06:33 Send this review to a friend
excellent!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
would not be without mine.
modified it to take 10 NIMH batteries (same 12v as 8xAA),never looked back.
absolutely invaluable to anyone playing with antenna's.

KE4GRP Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2007 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: months
I have owned mine for about 10 years. I always have hams asking me to use it to tune new antennas. There are some antennas where if it were not for the MFJ 259, it would be almost impossible to tune. The only problem I have had is going through batteries so quick.

Well worth the price and a real necessity around the shack.

N7BEG Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2007 16:37 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 269 for a few years now and have used it quit a lot. I never have had any problems with it as decribed in previous.
Worked right out of the box, no problems.
The famous UHF problem never ocurred.
I have pressed the UHF button at the wrong times
and nothing went wrong. The distance to fault works very well (when done properly) SWR and VSWR are right on. I have tuned and set up many antennas and antenna tuners. I have used it in rain, snow , and sleet. Tomarrow I will DTF the 7/8 coax that runs from 4 330 ft AM broadcast towers to the Transmitter building at a new AM station. I have, and use, equipment that is many times more exotic and expencive than my 269 and it holds it's own against them. It may not be as acurate and exacting but for the bucks it dose well. If I have any real complaint it is the cheap N connector. I have had to replace it due to the center pin failing.
The inside is clean and soldered well. Not the bad quality control problems I have been reading about.
Would I buy MFJ again ?? If I needed a low cost
means for measurment, You bet. If I were building a rocket, no.

WR5D Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2007 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice little meter for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my MFJ-259 for about 4 years, and even with its few quirks, it's been a valuable tool. It seems to have a higher-than-needed current drain, and so the battery pack doesn't last as long as I'd like. The analog meters are great to have, tho, and the X and R readings are consistently accurate for my uses ,as I design antennas, and optimize existing systems.

N3JBH Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2007 11:45 Send this review to a friend
you should get one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ok ok i know i dont like MFJ stuff. but i did get one these gizmo's and i must say i wish i had one 20 years ago. it may not be lab quality. but it is really useful to have. sure will take a lot of time out messing with antenna's.

N6DXX Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2007 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Great instrument in the shack  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine used for $130 & am very pleased with it. It is very useful in tuning antennas & antenna tuners too while not putting a signal on the air. A great tool to have on "Field Day".

Tony, N6DXX

PE1NPG Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2006 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Awsome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a great tool! Bought it initinaly for tuning my buddipole quickly, it does, but its a great tool with much more possibilities. Should have bought it a few years ago. Yes, there are more accurate tools on the market, but this one fits me well!

73 de PE1NPG, Jean-Pierre