Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | CATS RD-1800 Help

Reviews Summary for CATS RD-1800
CATS RD-1800 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $699 w/o controller
Description: T2X-compatible rotor
More info: http://www.rotor-doc.com/sales.html

You can write your own review of the CATS RD-1800.

K3PA Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2011 04:47 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Powerful and reliable. Made a joke of my T2X. Highly recommended.

AL7HG Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2011 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Out of production  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rotor is no longer in production. I talked to Craig last week and he said high steel prices and other considerations made this impossible to make. He does still work on them.

This rotor has been up for four or five years and turns a Force 340/520 antenna on a 48 foot boom. Never had ANY mechanical problem with the rotor.

Like one of the other people who commented here, I run this rotor with a Yaesu 800 control box, and have burnt up several control boxes. Prior to buying this rotor, about four years ago, I had a Yaesu 800 rotor, so just ordered the rotor to go with the control box.

W8ZR Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2007 08:40 Send this review to a friend
excellent rotor  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this rotor on my tower for six months, turing a 4 el SteppIR yagi in a high-wind environment, and it has worked flawlessly. I used a T2X rotor for years, with a smaller antenna, and had several problems with cracked ring gears, frozen lubricants, and rusted terminal strips. This CATS rotor is a drop-in replacement, but a much more contemporary and improved design.

The control unit works well, but has a few features that I can never remember how to use. You'll need to keep the instruction booklet close at hand if you want to use some of the programmable features. My only quibble with the controller is that it doesn't ramp the speed up or down at startup or shutoff. This tends to jolt the antenna a bit. Seems like a minor firmware upgrade would solve that problem.

Craig is very helpful and knowledgable, and is always willing to give advice and answer questions. He keeps his word on delivery times, so you can plan your antenna party with confidence.

C.A.T.S. rotors are custom built and are not well-known, but the engineering is first-rate, with good customer support, and they are a solid value. I've never known anybody to be displeased with one.

N3KS Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2006 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have installed the RD-1800 on a 48' tower with a SteppIR 3 element yagi using a 24' mast. At the top of the mast I have a bearing system with another 5' additional pole mounted colocated 160 and 80 meter dipoles. The RD-1800 handles it flawlessly. I've had several different rotors in the past, and the CATS has so far been the most reliable and solid. I highly recommend this rotor and control box.

W8JWN Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2005 11:17 Send this review to a friend
After almost two years, it is working great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has survived the U.P. winters and summer storms. It turns the beams as easily as the same day I installed it. I am one satisfied customer.

WV9G Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2004 00:30 Send this review to a friend
Super rotator, well worth the price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my CATS RD-1800 20 months ago in June, 2002. I had a steel erector hoist my 70' industrial tower with a crane, and a group of ham friends and my Chevy 4x4 hoisted my Hygain TH-7DX 7 element tribander to 71', as well as my Hygain 66DX 6 element 6 meter beam to 76'. That's 11.2 square ft. wind surface area, plus a VHF/UHF omni at the top of the mast. The rotator has been rotating flawlessly, with consistent, smooth movement and no brake problems during several strong wind storms. I highly recommend this particular rotator over ANY bell-shaped rotator, and I have had rotators from three diverent companies. This thing is built like you would want something to be built! I'd give it a 10 if I could.

K8RA Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2003 22:40 Send this review to a friend
New RD-1800 arrived  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the rotor in 1 day after ordering it. It is beautifully made with a lot of attention to details. I purchased the upscale control box with computer control. It works great. I ran a bench test and the calibration of the digital readout is right on. This will no doubt be the last rotor I will have to buy.

I spoke with the owner of CATS on the phone (Craig) and he is a really nice guy and will to answer any and all questions.

The only thing I saw that I did not like was the calibration of the set pot on the front of the controller is not calibrated. Very minor point. Note the is not a small rotor in size. It is 9 inches in diameter. Make sure it will fit before you mail your $1000...hi hi.