Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Heathkit HR-1680 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HR-1680
Heathkit HR-1680 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $224.95 (Kit)
Description: Dual conversion solid state ham bands receiver
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HR-1680.

WB8ICU Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2007 17:22 Send this review to a friend
great cw rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the hr-1680 receiver and the companinon hx-1681 for many years. I assembled it, and it has always worked great. I bought the transmitter later at a swap and spent a week getting it to work, due to an inept builder's blunders. Once I got it working, the combination has been great. I have two ten tec solid state rigs, but I still prefer the heathkits, with the tube final transmitter. Its too bulky for field day, and too susceptible from overload from all the ssb rigs on site. But it works excellent at home, and I always get as good as I give on rst reports.

KI0KM Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2003 22:12 Send this review to a friend
stable, easy to use receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this receiver for 18 years, along with it's companion transmitter, the HX-1681.
It is very stable,and simple to operate, and has good sensitivity. The 250hz audio filter gives the best cw note I have heard on any receiver.
On the negative side, nearby strong signals will desensitize it somewhat.
For it's used price, it is an excellent value

VE3EFJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2000 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Decent price/performance...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a nice, basic 80 to 10 Meter receiver for SSB/CW. Since its a kit radio some obvious cautions apply. The VFO is thermally stable - amazingly so for its construction - and mechanically quite good too. This radio is light years ahead of the HR-10. It is a sensitive, stable receiver even on 10 Meters. My one complaint is that the audio derived AGC has a tendancy to pop. Heath did well on this radio, and even today it offers good value given its performance and what it can be purchased for. The radio had a companion transmitter that was a hybrid (transistor/vaccuum tube final). Its one of the better basic HF receivers around, and it is very possible to do a lot worse for more money.