Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | PAR Electronics SM-50 6M Stressed Moxon Help

Reviews Summary for PAR Electronics SM-50 6M Stressed Moxon
PAR Electronics SM-50 6M Stressed Moxon Reviews: 59 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $109. USD
Description: SM-50 Stressed Moxon 6M Antenna Occupies approximately 1/2 the footprint of traditional two element
yagis, yet has nearly identical electrical specifications. The radiator material selection results in a further reduction in size and weight over classical Moxons. Once the coupling unit is installed onto the main radiator using two #10-32 screws, assembling the rest of the antenna, including mast mounting and tuning, requires no tools. Ideal for mountain topping, roving and stealth operation. � Horizontal polarity � Forward Gain:
5.8 dBi � F/B Ratio: 17 dB � Design Z: 50. unbalanced V.S.W.R. BW: 1.5MHz between 1.5:1 points � 1kW power handling � 6061-T6 aluminum, fiberglass, genuine Flex Weave wire, stainless steel � Rectangular 84 x31", 3lbs
More info: http://parelectronics.com/stress_moxon.htm

You can write your own review of the PAR Electronics SM-50 6M Stressed Moxon.

W2JAZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2017 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You can't beat Dale's stressed moxon for the price! I was operating at my vacation QTH with a PAR Omniangle and barefoot with 100 watts. At only 24' I was having good results working the 6 meter digital modes but I wanted to do better. I decided to replace it with the stressed moxon and my state tally instantly went up. Very good front to back and directivity has really helped even with my limited power and height. This is a keeper and excellent buy. It's a snap to assemble with clear directions. He ships very promptly too and is quick to reply to inquiries and questions. You can't go wrong here. 73 de W2JAZ

KC4LE Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2017 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Great performance, Low price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had never used a Moxon before, but I am impressed with the reports that I get using this one. I have it mounted above the chimney and feed it 100 watts with 100' of LMR-400. The antenna comes with good instructions and is easily and quickly assembled. It is very light weight so a Channel Master rotator is very ample. It is also stealth enough that it hasn't attracted any unnecessary attention from the HOA.

This is an extremely effective antenna for its simplicity and price. For me, this antenna system is WAY more desirable that erecting a bulky tower, pouring a concrete base and stringing guy wires. I wish I could attach the EZNEC plots of this antenna it has a surprisingly good cardioid pattern. You can probably get Dale, W4OP, to provide you a link to see the plots. Dale and his team provide excellent and prompt support. The specs have the free space gain of the antenna at 5.8dBi with lots of front-to-back and front-to-side attenuation. It was a little over a hundred bucks and well worth it.

Red
KC4LE
EM63

K0UA Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2017 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It was so easy to assemble in my shop and take out to the tower and bolt it up. It works very well, and has increased my state count on 6M Meteor scatter by a factor of 5 over the previous dipole. It was $125 shipped to my door and worth every penny.

N0AN Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2016 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Meteor Scatter - Amazing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna for a few years, but have only used it for sporadic E, and it has been very, very good for that.

I am now using it for Meteor Scatter (which is a more demanding mode), and I had a lot of doubt as to how well it would work for either MS or Aurora.

Very solidly built. Has been up in two locations. I am currently using it at 60'for 6m Meteor Scatter with 100w, 90' LMR-400 coax, and no preamp. MSK144 mode is superb for 6m. Kenwood TS-590SG rig

VSWR is flat where I use it with the default settings (50.025 > 50.300 MHz)

I'm astounded at how well it works. In two days, I have worked about 10 stations on random meteor scatter in the early mornings. Does a NICE job of nulling out power line noise both off the back and sides, which has come in real handy many times.

Price/Performance is exceptional.

If you want something small, light and effective and won't break the bank, this is it.

AA2UK Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2016 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Follow up review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the SM-50 in the early Summer of 2016. This is a follow up review based on additional observations and performance of this unique antenna. I'll admit when I decided to purchase a Moxon I wasn't sure how it would perform or if it would even perform. Well the SM-50 has performed above my wildest expectations. When the Summer E season ended I thought I wouldn't have much fun again until the Winter E's hit. I decided in late August to try WSJT-X specifically MSK144 high speed meteor scatter work. I'm amazed at the performance since the original review. I raised the antenna from 8' to 35'. I added a Larcan IPA-2 amplifier (500-600 watts) a variable attenuator and an AR2 GAsFET preamp, RigBlaster Pro on my Yaesu FT736R. There hasn't been a single day that I haven't worked numerous stations from 250 to 1200 miles using the above via msk144 digi-mode. All in all this antenna is a great performer and it's holding up and performing like the day I bought it. I'd suggest if you're running a dipole, old Saturn Halo or a vertical do yourself a favor and purchase this antenna from Dale at Par. You'll wonder why you didn't make the purchase sooner. I hope to work you on 6 meters soon via anymode w/ your new SM-50 Moxon from PAR!
73 Bill AA2UK

K7NUI Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 6M Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Comparing my two previous antennas, the Model SM-50 six meter antenna is very good at pulling-in stations that otherwise would not be readable from my QTH. The SM-50 antenna parts are all of high-quality and well fabricated, making for quick and easy antenna assembly. The after sales service and support by Par Electronics is quick and responsive, as was shown after a broken and falling Oregon tree limb won-out over my antennas aluminum round tube assembly. The SM-50 6M Directional Antenna is impressive in all respects and especially so in the antennas ability to hear otherwise difficult-to-receive six meter stations!

W8UV Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2016 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved from Ohio to Delaware in the fall of 2014.
I wanted to get back on 6m but a tower is out of the question at this location. A friend, W8ZT, suggested I take a look at the SM-50. I read the reviews and then ordered one, I put it up on a aluminum pole lashed to the railing on my deck.
The SM-50 did not hear well so I called Dale at PAR and was found that the coax choke I was using was causing a large drop in my received signal. I changed that and what an improvement. I have now worked 8 countries on 6m with the antenna. I have worked EU, AF, NA,and SA. Also 75 GRIDS.
So now I plan to stack a second SM-50 spaced 12 feet apart. My rig is a FT 5000 with a pair of 3-500s.
The bottom line is this antenna works very well

WB0FTY Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2016 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the OA-50 first and liked it so well decided to add the SM-50. Again Dale was extremely helpful and gave top notch service. I put this antenna up in a temp position at about 18'. It works and gets out well even at that height. I will be putting it up at about 32' later. Again you won't be sorry if you buy one.

K5ND Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2016 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Perfect fit for a small place, works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally installed the SM-50 in September 2014. Later that year I worked ZL1RS. So it works. See my full review at http://www.k5nd.net/2016/07/cq-vhf-contest-2016-return-of-the-moxon/

In April 2015 I replaced it with an Innovantennas 3-Element LFA Yagi. That antennas worked great but took up too much space in my side yard on a push up mast. Just brought back the SM-50 for the CQ WW VHF Contest. 54 grids including 7 new ones. Still works fabulous.

Perfect fit for a small place. Very well constructed. And, it works great.

KA9EAK Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2016 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Bet you can't buy just one!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
An SM-50 has been on my shopping list for a while and I was quite pleased when I found one at a local Hamfest in great condition in the original box. Sold by an operator that was getting out of roving. Perfect transition as I'm just getting into it.

This is the perfect portable antenna. Great design and excellent construction make it very easy to setup\takedown. In operation it has delivered great results. I am very pleased with this antenna.

I was so happy with this antenna I bought a new OA-50 for fixed use. This seems to be a pattern based upon the reviews. It's like the old potato chip commercial, "bet you can't buy just one." It appears that one Par is never enough. Another OA-50 and stacking kit is likely in my future.

As has been said and bears repeating, the customer service from Dale is par excellence (pun intended.)