Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Koss PRO 4/AA Help

Reviews Summary for Koss PRO 4/AA
Koss PRO 4/AA Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $99.00
Description: Studio headphones.
More info: http://www.koss.com/

You can write your own review of the Koss PRO 4/AA.

KQ6EA Rating: 2/5 Nov 27, 2012 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Sound, But Fragile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had these about 8 years now, and they just now broke again.
The first failure was the wire lead that connected to two ear piece elements together. I replaced it with a piece of RG-316 coax, as it was the only "two conductor" wire I had that was small enough.
Then the 1/8" stereo plug became intermittent, and I had to replace that.
Now the plastic pieces that hold the left ear piece into the headband have broken, and I'm not sure how to fix that one.
Maybe a couple of big cable ties and some JB Weld?
I don't throw these around; they're only used for listening to movies or music on my laptop.
Granted, I bought these in 2004, but I've got another set of Koss headphones that I bought in 1970, and they've held together just fine.
Maybe I got a lemon, or a set that was molded/wired/built on a Monday or Friday!

W9KDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2012 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Ignore everything else  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pay no attention to the disgusting color (you won't see it on your head anyway). Ignore that they reset when you take them off and you have to adjust the headband every time you take them off you put them back on. Try not to think about the weight, like having a small animal wrapped around your skull.

Just listen. I could not believe the difference between these and cheaper phones. Come on, this is just speech right? How much difference could these make, after all, this isn't the Grateful Dead, right? Well, in a nutshell, whatever they do, it makes a huge different, right away.

Besides, how much longer will you be able to buy something from the company that invented phones that still has such a commitment to customer service (Lifetime Warranty) and, by the way, MADE IN USA.

N0CZV Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2011 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Great headphones!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought a set at Stereohio 1973 - 38 years old now. They had ended up with some issues. I sent them back to Koss about a year ago - I think the charge was around $6.00 to have them completely rebuilt and retored. New cord, elements, ear covers. Koss covered it under their lifetime warranty. Who does that anymore? I use them for stereo work and on several HF transceivers with good results. They are on the heavy side. I added a pair of David Clark aviation headset cloth covers over the vinyl - they are much more tolerable now. The ear covers used to be liquid filled, but the new ones are foam filled. I don't really notice a difference.

N4AUD Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Headphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are great sounding headphones, the best I've ever used. They are heavy, but if you adjust the headband to sit on top of your head they are not uncomfortable. I recently send mine back to Koss along with $6, and when I got them back they had replaced the cord, the headband, the elements and the cushions! Virtually a new set!

VA6LJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2007 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Surpriseingly good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had always viewed these as hi-fi headphones. I started using them on my IC756 so as to hear over the ambient noise and not feed back when monitoring my signal. Many have mentioned the low monitor output of the IC756, but with the isolation and reasonable sensitivity I can hear my signal quite well. When I got these they were not in great shape, and other problems cropped up. I phoned Koss for parts. They wanted me to send the phones back. When they returned them they had fixed the driver, replaced the ear cusions, repaired the head band and put on a fancy new cord. That was far more than I asked for. I only had to pay shipping. They are heavy and when people come up behind you, the results are startling. If you want a headphone for life these are a good choice

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2007 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Oldie But Goodie  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This style of Koss headphones has been around for years, but you know what, they are still great. I was using some "open air" lightweights and these are far superior in their ability to help me pull out the weak ones. A little heavy, but built like a tank. These headphones should last for years and years. I have other headphones for hi-fi duty, these will remain attached to my Pro III.

N6NKN

N6ATF Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2007 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Koss needs a mic supplier.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm just about at the 1 year mark of owning these. They're about average as far as comfort, can't go more than a couple hours with them on at a time. They required lots of torqueing of the metal bands to make them crush my head less.

The sound quality is the best of anything I've used. Mine were like new when I bought them off eBay, but back when I was a kid, I found some at a thrift store and tested them and was in instant audiophile heaven; but I couldn't afford them and spent years being plagued by the breakage-prone consumer 'phones.

And last but not least, I have done extensive searching for a boom mic to put on this set. Koss said to contact Shure. Shure said to contact Koss - they had no idea what I was talking about. Apparently only God knows who makes boom mics for it, which is why I rate it a 4 instead of a 5.

W0MT Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2005 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Some Good-Some Bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use these headphones regularly on my HF transceiver.

Good-Sound quality; they sound great and dampen the ambient background noise.

Bad-Comfort; they are heavy and the piece that goes over my head will not extend far enough. When they are fully extended, there is too much pressure on the top of my head. To be comfortable, I must wear a hat to provide a cushion.

KI4ADK Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2003 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Good Phones!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the PRO4AA phones a lot in the 70's for stereo listening....the best that there was until Sennheiser came along (my opinion of course, and the Senn's were aimed at the "open air" crowd, not the "isolate the listener" crowd). The Koss phones allowed me to enjoy the full effect of the great electronic music groups without the expense of really expensive speakers. The only bad thing was the mass of the magnet structure....the thing that made the AA's so wonderful would be it's downfall....if you drop the 'phones on the floor, you'll likely tear the entire magnet structure loose, rip up the voice coil connections,etc. I bought FOUR SETS of replacement drivers before I gave up and bought the Sennheiser product. As a teenager with other siblings, I couldn't keep the Koss phones intact.

Still, a great set of phones. Haven't tried them on my Kenwood yet, what a great idea!!

KB0VVK Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2003 00:58 Send this review to a friend
sounds great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Igot a pair for my hifi
lay on the floor play the Rolling Stones real loud.
take downstares plug into my Kenwood570s works there too.
time owned more then twenty years.
kb0v vk