Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Koss PRO 4/AA Help

Reviews Summary for Koss PRO 4/AA
Koss PRO 4/AA Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $99.00
Description: Studio headphones.
More info: http://www.koss.com/

You can write your own review of the Koss PRO 4/AA.

N6ATF Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2007 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Koss needs a mic supplier.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm just about at the 1 year mark of owning these. They're about average as far as comfort, can't go more than a couple hours with them on at a time. They required lots of torqueing of the metal bands to make them crush my head less.

The sound quality is the best of anything I've used. Mine were like new when I bought them off eBay, but back when I was a kid, I found some at a thrift store and tested them and was in instant audiophile heaven; but I couldn't afford them and spent years being plagued by the breakage-prone consumer 'phones.

And last but not least, I have done extensive searching for a boom mic to put on this set. Koss said to contact Shure. Shure said to contact Koss - they had no idea what I was talking about. Apparently only God knows who makes boom mics for it, which is why I rate it a 4 instead of a 5.

W0MT Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2005 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Some Good-Some Bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use these headphones regularly on my HF transceiver.

Good-Sound quality; they sound great and dampen the ambient background noise.

Bad-Comfort; they are heavy and the piece that goes over my head will not extend far enough. When they are fully extended, there is too much pressure on the top of my head. To be comfortable, I must wear a hat to provide a cushion.

KI4ADK Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2003 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Good Phones!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the PRO4AA phones a lot in the 70's for stereo listening....the best that there was until Sennheiser came along (my opinion of course, and the Senn's were aimed at the "open air" crowd, not the "isolate the listener" crowd). The Koss phones allowed me to enjoy the full effect of the great electronic music groups without the expense of really expensive speakers. The only bad thing was the mass of the magnet structure....the thing that made the AA's so wonderful would be it's downfall....if you drop the 'phones on the floor, you'll likely tear the entire magnet structure loose, rip up the voice coil connections,etc. I bought FOUR SETS of replacement drivers before I gave up and bought the Sennheiser product. As a teenager with other siblings, I couldn't keep the Koss phones intact.

Still, a great set of phones. Haven't tried them on my Kenwood yet, what a great idea!!

KB0VVK Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2003 00:58 Send this review to a friend
sounds great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Igot a pair for my hifi
lay on the floor play the Rolling Stones real loud.
take downstares plug into my Kenwood570s works there too.
time owned more then twenty years.
kb0v vk

W8BYH Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2001 13:37 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Based on reviews in this forum, and others on-line, I purchased a pair of Koss Pro 4/AA headphones to use with my HF rig. I thought I had a good pair of 'cans' in my Kenwoods, but there is just no comparison with the Koss. Hands down, these are the best headphones I've strapped to my head. Crisp, clear, rich audio. No distortion. You'll be able to pick things out of the background that were just not there with lesser headphones

Earpads seal out ALL surrounding low-level noise (my wife has to flash the lights to get my attention).

Yes, they are heavy, but when properly adjusted they can be worn comfortably for hours (I know, I've done it). The secret to adjustment is to make sure the earpiece ('can') support bands are not too long - shorten them up and let the headband do it's job and support the earpieces. Otherwise the earpieces will rest on your jaw hinge, making wearing them VERY uncomfortable.

It's amazing how much a good pair of headphones can improve the listening enjoyment of our hobby. A great investment, highly recommended.

Brian

K4WMA Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2000 09:55 Send this review to a friend
And you can still get 'em  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, they're "ugly" (depends on your perception)
Yes, they're heavy
Yes, THEY WORK!!
Yes, THEY WORK GREAT!!
Yes, You can still get a pair, so leave mine alone ;-)
Became aquainted with the Pro 4/AA as a DJ in broadcast radio. Found a new pair at Radio Shack a couple of years ago for about $40 on a closeout. The good news for you is that Koss is still making this classic set of "cans." The bad news is that they'll likely cost you about $100. Once you're used to the extra bit of weight, you'll wonder how you ever worked DX without them. The ear pads are most comfortable, and they block outside noise like nobody's budiness. Still the best, and I'm sure that's why Koss continues to bring them back again and again.

Now if I can just find a boom mic to fit the stud and take the Heil DX element.....

KA6SGT Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 1999 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Oldie, but goodie.  Time owned: unknown months
Produced and sold in the late '70s, these headphones were the very best sold to the consumer electronics market. Extremely stable and heavy voice coils result in terrific sound reproduction. The real treat for DXing are the Pneumalite earcushions that seal off outside sound. Heavier than most headphones, they are very comfortable for extended operation during contests. Although I'm a CW Op, these headphones also have a boom mike stud. These headphones may be old, but they're great!