Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1538 Pulsar QuadrupleThreat 2M/6M/220/440 Base/Repeater Ante Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1538 Pulsar QuadrupleThreat 2M/6M/220/440 Base/Repeater Ante
MFJ-1538 Pulsar QuadrupleThreat 2M/6M/220/440 Base/Repeater Ante Reviews: 16 Average rating: 1.6/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: Pulsar QuadrupleThreat 2M/6M/220/440 Base/Repeater Antenna
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1538

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1538 Pulsar QuadrupleThreat 2M/6M/220/440 Base/Repeater Ante.

N4NUM Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2013 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna   Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna on the side of my tower at 50' and has worked great. Sold my tower and now this antenna is 20' up and still working great. I have checked the SWR's on it and all are at 1.5-1 or less (didn't check 6m) on it. I have NO complaints at all on it. I am also going to get a 2nd 1 for here, works that well..

WB5ITT Rating: 3/5 Aug 17, 2008 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Update: Eeehhhhh  Time owned: more than 12 months
I last tested my MFJ quad band a month or more ago...NOW, I find out the Heliax run had a bad connector. SOOO I replaced the Heliax and reran the test...with the new longer radials (60in 1/4 dia aluminum; threaded for 7mm to fit in the base) on the antenna, replacing all 3; 2-20in and one 6mtr "tuned" that came with it), I got the following:
6mtr: SWR below 2:1 across entire band...min SWR at ~51.2 MHz....better than with original radial"s"..yes it does work as a quarter wave GP now INSTEAD of a bent dipole!!

2mtrs: SWR below 1.7:1 across entire band; does hit zero reflected around 146.00MHz..no gain checks YET...but at 10ft out performs Larsen NMO 150 on van 20ft away...so better than 3db

220: Need to fix my 220 test rig...not doing power out for some reason...HEY wait, I have my THF6 HT...ok time to go get it...Ok...the THF6 does about 3.5watts on the weak battery...SWR was pretty good across the band (lower toward 225.0...reflected starts to rise above 0.5 watts at 221)...still no gain reports..but this is better than last test.

440: THIS is where the antenna SUCKS!!! SWR is 1:1 at 432.100 (but this AINT a SSB antenna!!) Once you get 1-2 MHz away, SWR starts to climb..ok in 420 range but above 440?? FORGET IT!! More than 3:1 or worse across entire 10MHz..so much for use on 440! Havent checked gain yet. IF they fix the 440 SWR problem (and I have yet to confirm the gain figures; time to pull out the R2670 spectrum analyzer and some 1/4 ground planes for comparison)

K6XR Rating: 0/5 Jul 20, 2008 12:40 Send this review to a friend
antenna is very bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two of them. One is a replacement of the other and both of them have terrible swr on all bands. The swr is good at one or two points and terrible elsewhere. I attempted to send them back to mfj but the ups cost was more than I paid so I ate the lost and have them stored in my garage where I will take my hack saw to them one day. The MFJ rep told me they did not make the antenna, but imported it from another manufacturer.

WB5ITT Rating: 1/5 Jul 20, 2008 11:04 Send this review to a friend
SUCKS to the MAX  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ok, I took a chance on this antenna...4 bands looked nice for remote base operation (or maybe even rptr service!)....well it arrived, I stared at it and wasnt impressed....and decided to improve things....took the radials that came with it off and ordered 1/4 alum rod from the Internet...N5STK helped me thread them to the 7MM size to screw into the base...each radial was 60 inches long (a bit overkill but I wanted FULL length radials on 6 and lets see how well it performs)....put it 30ft in the air fed by 1/2 Heliax....6 looked good on the TS680 until I got my FT857 and Bird Wattmeter....CRAP, there is NO low SWR anywhere in 6!!! it does transmit and hear ok (from what little operating I did with it). 2mtrs is ok...low SWR and seems to be decent gain....havent tested 220 BUT 440 SUCKS BIG TIME!!! SWR is all over the place, a 3db gain mobile antenna at the same height outhears this junky thing....MFJ, guess what, YOU GETTTING this back Martin and I WILL NEVER buy another piece of Mighty Fine JUNK....I plan to replace it with a Comet CX333 which I KNOW works and a 6m DB212 loop on the side of the mast...a little more wind load and another diplexer at the antennas, but I KNOW that will work. MFJ, your name is CRAP!!!!!

N5CSU Rating: 3/5 Aug 12, 2007 18:22 Send this review to a friend
2 Meters is fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced my old 2 meter Ringo with this antenna this Spring. I'm 45 miles from Dallas and could not even hear the Dallas RACES repeater with the Ringo. With the MFJ 1538, the rptr is 80% quieting and I can hit and hold the repeater.

I did check 6 meters and SWR is around 3:1. As others have done, I'll cut the radial down. I don't have 220 or 440 so can't comment on performance there. But I am certainly satisfied with 2 meters.

Rich n5csu
Gun Barrel City TX

AI4IJ Rating: 0/5 May 20, 2007 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Dummy load in the air!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This has got to be a contender for the worst antenna in the world award!

First of all, let me say that the idea is GREAT! It would be wonderful to have a quad band antenna that covers 6M, 2M, 1.25M, and 70cm as a back-up antenna. That's why I bought it.

Secondly, the price is attractive. $119.95 is a reasonable price for an antenna that does what MFJ claims that this one does. But, this one doesn't even come close to performing as advertised.

I first attached this antenna to a 10 foot mast for tuning and testing. The SWR was acceptable on 2M, 1.25M, and 70cm; but, it was too high on 6M. I solved that problem by trimming down the 6M radial to resonance in the FM simplex portion of 6M. Not a big deal.

I next attached 100 feet of CXP1318FX coax (comparable to LMR-400) that has been performing well for me. I then pulled it up about 60 feet into a pine tree. I tested the SWR at the installed height and got 1.1 to 1.4 on all bands. I thought, "Great!."

Then, I connected it to my radio and made some calls. The first response I got was from a guy who lives about four miles away from me whose comment was, "Where are you? Your signal is weak. You're usually 60dB over on me; but, you're only putting about S9+10dB on me, now."

Then, one of my other buddies about the same distance away asked the first buddy, "Who are you talking to? Because, I can't hear him. He's not even breaking the squelch." Now, this guy is using the big Diamond 24 foot 2M collinear at 90 feet with LDF5-50A Heliax hardline feeding it; and, I've worked him in my mobile 35 to 40 miles away - and, I've worked him from my HT in my BASEMENT. But, he couldn't hear me AT ALL on this piece of garbage hanging 60 feet in the air.

My guess is that, if I cut it open, I'd find a big fat 50 ohm resistor - and, nothing else! GARBAGE! Pure GARBAGE! MFJ should be ashamed of themselves!

Richard
AI4IJ

KG4UAD Rating: 1/5 Dec 27, 2006 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Dont waste your money  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is one of the worst verticals ive ever owned. Do Not Waste Your Money! Upon installation the antenna was 30ft above ground, away from buildings and trees. It was supplied with a 30ft section of new lmr-400 and tested out at 1.6vswr on 2m, 2.1vswr on 70cm, 2.7-8vswr on 6m. I do not have a meter for 220 so i was unable to test that however im sure it would have depressed me. After playing with the 6m ground radial about an hour I concluded that either the radial needed to be about one inch longer to bring down the vswr or that MFJ considers around 3.0 vswr normal for operation. Day 2 i ditched the 6m ground plane radial and replaced it with a threaded 20" radial and that brought down the vswr for 2m to 1.1 and 1.7 on 70cm so the radial stayed and now the antenna is used for the shack vhf/uhf scanner only. My home brew copper j-pole whipped this antenna hands down in terms of "real world gain" so i made one more for 70cm and a 1/4 wave for 6m. I really bought this antenna for the 6m portion so it was a big disappointment for me.

73's

Matt-kg4uad

KC2NWV Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2006 17:46 Send this review to a friend
So far so good.....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I understand the frustrations in the previous reviews, and I will admit it had me worried since I bought the antenna then read the reviews. However, this antenna has performed well for me so far. Packed well, SWR at 1.3 on 2m, and 1.5 on 6m, no weather detune, easy assembly, low noise, and I have worked 60mi each direction ssb polarized vertically to their horizontal. I have no problems on 2m FM with all of the local and distant repeaters. I will follow up with a 6 month review given the past performances of this antenna.

NS6Y_ Rating: 1/5 Apr 4, 2006 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Quadruple THREAT?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Come on, the thing's called the Quadruple THREAT? Threat to what, your rig's finals? Shouldn't this give you a clue?

Owned 0 months, better than being 0wned by one.

K4JC Rating: 1/5 Apr 4, 2006 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna at Dayton '03. Like other posters, this antenna worked OK on 2 meters, but a plain ol' 5/8-wave would have probably done the same job. Very poor performance on 6, 220 and 440, and on 6 it had a high SWR until I cut the (single) 6-meter radial (not easy to do.) I thought this antenna would be a good way to do away with the "porcupine" on my roof...guess I was wrong. Spend the few extra bucks and buy some quality antennas like Comets or Diamonds instead of this dog.