Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Magnetic Traveler Light Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Magnetic Traveler Light
Begali Magnetic Traveler Light Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $248 plus $9.50 s/h
Description: Magnetic paddle with a compact, folding design for the traveling ham or for stationary use.
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Magnetic Traveler Light.

VR2UU Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2014 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Get one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Impeccable engineering and groundbreaking design -- better handling than any Ferrari or Italian mistress.

IZ1CLB Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Lightweight  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this paddle for my outings on field day, or holidays.
It 'an object very, very well built, according to the usual high standard of Pietro Begali.
Not only pleasant to use, is also very nice to look at, quite different from all the other paddle,
To be honest, the problems of the Light Traveller rests in weight.
The way I see it is a little too heavy to transport in the field-day (especially when compared to the Palstar keys...) but too light when used on your desk at home, where it has a strong tendency to go for a walk.
Better to have a light touch.
The electrical connections on the underside are, once again, open without any protection.
It 'still a great buy, and an object already become a kind of icon, destined to maintain their value over time.
73 de IZ1CLB

LB1LF Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2012 03:44 Send this review to a friend
As far as portable paddles go, this is the one to beat.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Magnetic Traveler is a joy to use; the (optional) aluminium finger pieces are sturdy and does not bend or flex in the least; travel and force are easily adjustable over a wide range, enabling the paddle to fit just about anybody's keying style.

A bit lightweight to stay put when used by anyone but the most light-handed operator, but you really can't hold that against it - it is meant for portable operation, and I'd much rather use my free hand to hold the paddle down when operating than having to lug an additional two or three pounds around the countryside.

The craftmanship is of a standard you rarely see anymore; all components are finished to a very high level and are also generously dimensioned - there are no parts you are afraid to break during handling - this paddle is built like a tank, while still looking every bit like a sports car.

My only minor gripe is that the attachment points for the 3.5mm jack are in the open (though recessed into the body) under the paddle; there really should have been some sort of cover protecting the chassis plug and solder joints from the elements.

Aside from the product itself, Begali's attention to customer satisfaction is second to none - in all my communication with them, they've been prompt, to the point and with a can-do attitude you rarely encounter nowadays.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2012 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Craftsmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is little true craftsmanship, artistic creation left in this instant-gratification world, but the Begali keys belie all that. As an annual Dayton vendor, at first I eyed the Begali booth from a distance, then the next year walked closer (who would pay such a sum for a CW key, after all?) then finally this year stopped and played with the various keys, as I was retiring and could, at last, afford a "present" to myself for 35 years of hard work. The Traveler arrived a week ago (shipped from the US, with overstock from Dayton) and extra paddles (not yet installed) arrived only a few days later here in northern Ohio. While I am not an artist, I appreciate artistry, and this key (and others, from my "try 'em at Dayton experience" are truly works of mechanical art. Smooth, clean, solid... as my father used to say, "buy quality once and you'll never have to replace it". Begali keys prove this axiom. I am delighted. KK8ZZ

AK2B Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2012 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Traveler?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to admit that I bought these paddles because of the way they looked. I think they are a work of art. I had no intention of taking them anywhere. In the past, the only real criteria for selecting paddles were how they felt between your fingers. Begali has added aesthetics to the selection process. However, even if they didn’t look so good, they would still be superior paddles. No one can adequately describe how they are going to feel to you.
As an aside, I can tell you that since purchasing the Traveler and Signature, the price has gone up considerably, particularly on the Signature (bought about 8 years ago). Meaning, Begali paddles are a very decent investment ;). In the meantime, I enjoy using them and admiring them knowing that if I ever needed to sell them (God forbid), I could easily recover my original cost.
Invest in Art!
Tom, ak2b

UR5LAM Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 13:16 Send this review to a friend
It's really precision instrument!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At first,
I want to say Many Thanks to Pietro and Bruna for the excellent key and service.
At second.
It is not key as we can understand, it is really very pleasant and precision instrument for speaking CW.
Thanks Pietro for your art!
73! Alex UR5LAM

WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2011 20:44 Send this review to a friend
A Great Travel Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine in black with green aluminum finger pieces. I did not like the feel of the standard plastic. It's quite interesting how just upgrading the finger pieces makes the key feel so much more substantial. At least that's my opinion. I really like this key. I don't do iambic but I needed a "take it anywhere" key and since Begali does not (yet) make a single lever portable I bought this one. It's truly a joy to use. It has all the virtues of its brothers and sisters in the Begali line. The stabilizing wings really do work as intended and even stood up to my sometimes violent whacking. The key is beautiful to look. the vinyl traveling box is a nice feature. Just fold the wings, stow the key, and move on. Overall, a super product from the master key maker.

W0SJS Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2011 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Another Perfect Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my Begali Traveler Light yesterday from Bruna and as always the Begali keys are perfect. Mechanically the very best key's and I have used a lot of different kinds. Esthetically it can't be beat. I believe that the Traveler Light is one key that could be an everything key not just for portable or mobile use. It is as smooth and precise as my Signature and the blue base and black aluminum paddles are simply beautiful.

N7HF Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2010 20:15 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC KEY  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Unlike the previous poster...my mobile requirement is for a beach chair in Hawaii, and I am thrilled.

I am a poor cw operator with a heavy fist. I own a GHD optical, G4ZPY, N3ZN vertical, Bencher Oct, Palm mini and a vibroplex dual. I have a winter shack in AZ and a summer shack in HI. My main key, from now on, in AZ will be the N3ZN ( a 5 pound monster that sends far better than I but is delicate to travel) with the Traveler as back up. In HI I will now use my Traveler with the Bencher as back up...The rest will be posted for sale!

SM6EQO Rating: 2/5 Aug 15, 2010 03:25 Send this review to a friend
Not for portable use  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iīm sorry, but I canīt give the Begali Magnetic Traveler Light a very high score...

I have had it for two years. Mostly I have used it in a portable setup during field-day contest and during no less than 59 SOTA activations. Many of the latter have been conducted under rough and wet conditions out in the bush, sometimes in poring rain with little protection. Particularly during these operations its shortcomings are shown. You can not put it on wet ground/grass and expect it to work without any hiccups for long.

The main shortcoming is that it is not waterproof from below. Thus moisture is sucked into the connector and the mechanism and create shorts between the terminals and ground. The result is that you have to dismantle it and clean it up before you can continue.

Okay that it is named Magnetic TRAVELER Light, implying that itīs not really intended for portable use (as I understand portable use), but buying one of these one should be aware of that this is not really a paddle intended for rough conditions.