Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Magnetic Traveler Light Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Magnetic Traveler Light
Begali Magnetic Traveler Light Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $248 plus $9.50 s/h
Description: Magnetic paddle with a compact, folding design for the traveling ham or for stationary use.
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Magnetic Traveler Light.

N7HF Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2010 20:15 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC KEY  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Unlike the previous poster...my mobile requirement is for a beach chair in Hawaii, and I am thrilled.

I am a poor cw operator with a heavy fist. I own a GHD optical, G4ZPY, N3ZN vertical, Bencher Oct, Palm mini and a vibroplex dual. I have a winter shack in AZ and a summer shack in HI. My main key, from now on, in AZ will be the N3ZN ( a 5 pound monster that sends far better than I but is delicate to travel) with the Traveler as back up. In HI I will now use my Traveler with the Bencher as back up...The rest will be posted for sale!

SM6EQO Rating: 2/5 Aug 15, 2010 03:25 Send this review to a friend
Not for portable use  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iīm sorry, but I canīt give the Begali Magnetic Traveler Light a very high score...

I have had it for two years. Mostly I have used it in a portable setup during field-day contest and during no less than 59 SOTA activations. Many of the latter have been conducted under rough and wet conditions out in the bush, sometimes in poring rain with little protection. Particularly during these operations its shortcomings are shown. You can not put it on wet ground/grass and expect it to work without any hiccups for long.

The main shortcoming is that it is not waterproof from below. Thus moisture is sucked into the connector and the mechanism and create shorts between the terminals and ground. The result is that you have to dismantle it and clean it up before you can continue.

Okay that it is named Magnetic TRAVELER Light, implying that itīs not really intended for portable use (as I understand portable use), but buying one of these one should be aware of that this is not really a paddle intended for rough conditions.

PA3FZS Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2010 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my first dealing with the Begali company, and so far it has been impressive. For portable use I decided to get something different from the old Schurr key that I used to bring along.

The packaging is truly outstanding. Out came the black base and I looked for the red aluminium fingers I ordered extra. Fingers were there, but black ones instead of red. An email to Bruna got a prompt response and red ones are on the way, no further questions asked. How is that for customer service?

About the key itself, it feels 'different' from my Schurr profi-2 bought in 1995 or so. The action seems a bit more snappy and it actually took me less time to get used to it as compared to the Schurr. Not wanting to diminish anything from the German key. A very fine piece of machinery as well that will not leave my desk! We are moving towards summer again and I am looking forward to bring the Traveller into the outdoors. Just wondering how it will handle the inevitable abuse of portable work.

My preference is straight keying, but now I am feeling the absence of a more elaborate electronic keyer. What to order next when budget allows? The CW Machine, or a straight key?

Great product. Great company. More keying hours are needed in the environment for which it was meant though, in order to give it a more mature review. For now it sits on my desk as primary CW tool.

Best 73

VE7HJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2009 21:01 Send this review to a friend
One Fine Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Begali Traveler in the past month. When it arrived I could not wait to try them out.
When I tried them they did not feel very good, and was worried I had made a mistake. What I did notice was the plastic finger pieces seemed to have to much spring in them. I have owned a Begali Magnetic Classic for quite sometime that has the aluminum finger pieces. I liked the feel of that key very much. So after thinking about it for a week I decided to order a set of long blue aluminum finger pieces. When they arrived I installed them (very easy)and away I went. What a big difference and feel. I took them over to a ham Buddie and let him try them. He said he liked the feel of them better than his Begali Magnetic Classic! He is a CW man all the way contests,DX,DCC and many other CW awards.

In my opinion if you order this key spend the extra EU 18 and get a matching set anodized aluminum finger pieces.

Bruna Begali provides fast and very helpful customer service. Her father Piero is a master craftsman and in my opinion produces the finest keys money can buy.

JL1CNY Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2009 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Smooth and elegant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Honestly, I had not seen a real Traveler Light key until I recieved it from Begali. Firstly I was very much fascinated with the appearance of the key. So cute and elegant. My choice is blue base and alminum red finger pieces.
After several QSOs I promptly found it is much smoother than my favorite key which I have been using for last 20 years. Very silkey. Although I purchased it for portable use, I am now using it at home as well. I am sure that it will be one of my treasures in my shack.

K1LI Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2009 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Wow!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this paddle because I have been having trouble sending the letter "L" with my other paddles, due to nerve damage in my hand from a mountain bike accident. This is a real problem since I have an "L" in my call! I've tried many different paddles, many different combinations of adjustments, Iambic A vs. B, etc., but nothing helped.

Right of out of the box, the Begali's combination of delicate touch and positive feel solved the problem. I can easily exceed 30 WPM without errors. Despite the fact that this is the lightest of the Begali line, it is very robust and the "wings" make it very stable on the desk.

The only challenge now is how to resist the allure of buying another beautiful Begali key!!

W5SV Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2009 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Traveler Light for over three years in portable and mobile applications, and at home as well; it is an excellent key! Very well made and very reliable, easy to adjust, and a pleasure to do business with this family owned and operated business.

GW4OKT Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2008 11:48 Send this review to a friend
High quality mechanical engineering in a practical package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a well engineered key and works well with my K1. The Begali staff are user friendly and professional in their approach. It may be considered expensive, but it in my opinion, it is well worth the money. I had my callsign etched on the body of the key. There is a leg strap for portable use and the 'wings' deploy to make the key stable. It is quite light and ideal for portable use. It has it's own storage box c/w feeler gauge and microfibre cleaning cloth - nice touch! If you are keen on portable work and need a good quality key, I would recommend you consider this, take a look at the Begali website.

W7LRY Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2008 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Exellent Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a Begali Professional Key for a long time and I wanted one for travel and portable use so of course because of Begali Quality I purchased the Traveler Light Key. This is a great key for protable operation as well as code practice. Mine will be used a lot plugged into a portable keyer and I can practice sending code almost anywhere with the head phones on. You could not ask for better quality and coustmer service. I wish more American Companys handled business like Begali. I ordered mine direct on line. I know some day I will want more of there great selection of Morse Code Products. To me the cost is well worth it because their Keys will last forever!

LA6VJA Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2008 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looking for a travel companion to my IC-7000, I ordered the Magnetic Traveler. What a delight; plug-and-play, no-nonsense precision details making this masterpiece work flawlessly. Master craftsmanship throughout the entire unit.

Although Begali experienced some delivery problems from sub-vendors, I was kept well informed about the delays. When the unit arrived from Italy, it was packed into highly protective materials needed to survive postal handling. Attention to such details ensures happy customers.

The paddle performs flawlessly and I enjoy every moment I can spend with the IC-7000 hooked up to the Idiom Press LogiKit CMOS-4 keyer. When packing up, the keyer rests well protected by the stowing arms and the plastic box which was also included.

Highly recommended!