Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR-7625 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR-7625
Kenwood TR-7625 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2 meter mobile rig

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR-7625.

KC4MYV Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2010 18:58 Send this review to a friend
love it but no tones  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
bought this jewel at a hamfest last october and have used it just a little bit in the radio room , cant give her a five because no tones means no local repeaters but i love just the same

KI4TAB Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2007 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Good Solid Unit Great For Begining Ham  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This unit is a great unit for the begining ham. Had to find a Owner manual but it is a great unit. Have had no problems and this is a used unit.

WA7KKP Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2007 13:36 Send this review to a friend
one of the best KISS two meter FM rigs around  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new in the 80's and found it to be easily operated by touch, although the red LED display was almost useless in bright sunlight.

It is a CMOS logic version of the TR-7400, and the plug on the back for the RM-76 can also be used for remote frequency access without hacking the radio. It has a gas-discharge display that is much better in sunlight than the LED's.

The TONE button activates an accessory CTCSS encoder (user supplied). I used mine for accessing a 2 to 10 meter remote base.

One of my pet peeves was the TouchTone microphone -- it would key up the transmitter whenever any button was pushed -- once I had it laying down and it was keyed up for a lengthy time on the local repeater without my knowlege.

Sadly, three days after I bought my RM-76, the pair were stolen in suburban Tacoma WA. I hope the CBer found it useless. I learned real quick how (un)usefull Pierce Co. Sheriff's officers were.

Gary Hildebrand WA7KKP

KB9KHF Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2004 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio for the Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine when I was first liscensed 9 years ago, I got it for 50 bucks from an Elmer, who wanted new guys on. It had real nice audio, and all of the local repeaters were open then.

Now, I am returning to the hobby, only a handful of repeaters are open, but this little girl found a home in the Jeep. It still has some of the nicest audio available, and its durable enough to survive the Jeepin' life.

Lack of PL installed kept it from a five rating.

KC0QEV Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2004 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine at a hamfest for $50, came with a manual. I tried it out on the local repeater and sounded good so i have used it to talk to distant repeaters and do packet. I have found that not finding a plug for the mic jack made packet op harder but not impossible, for the guy that couldn't find a connecter, alligator clips with rubber insulation on the ends works well. I am currently using in my car and talk to repeaters more then 50-60 mi away. I plan to add a PLL tone board. My only problem is with antennas. Well I'll have to talk to the Elmers.

K5III Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2003 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Tough Little Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
You don't need a book to operate this one. It is straigtforward and simple. I bought mine on eBay about 4 years ago. It was sick with a bad RF module. New SA-7 module had it running better than before. Mine does 5w and 34w. No PL installed is only drawback. I've had good signal reports 50 miles away on 5w. Speakers on top but amazingly good and loud audio for it's size. Didn't get a manual for it. It is built like a tank with a metal case. It has been my base rig and has served well. Kenwood did it right on this one. I gave it a 4 due to no tone board but there is a plugin for one and a sw on the front panel

KB1GNI Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2003 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice older rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this at a swapmeet for use with packet. Been using it on voice ever since! I have been unable to find a mating plug for the microphone to build a packet cable so far, it's a 5-pin round, most of the commercially available packet cables ar 8-pin. No DTMF installed so I have to stick to open repeaters, though there is a "subtone" button. I didn't get a manual so I don't know how that works. I have had very good reports on the air with it. It has one memory location, and puts out 5 watts and 25 watts, though mine shows closer to 30 on high.
A nice, solid older rig which seems to work well on voice, at least. You have to love the tuning arrangement, with a separate knob for each digit!