Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Force 12 Flagpole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Force 12 Flagpole Antenna
Force 12 Flagpole Antenna Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$119.95
Description: A flagpole that's also a vertical antenna.
More info: http://force12inc.com

You can write your own review of the Force 12 Flagpole Antenna.

KD5YDY Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2003 01:28 Send this review to a friend
Great STEALTH antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Force 12 antenna with an extra 4-foot section to make it 20 feet just like another reviewer. The antenna is made of aircraft grade metal, weighs just 8 lbs, and is very sturdy. I have an SGC-237 coupler at the base and I can tune in 160m down to 15m with ease. Doesn't work well on 12, 10 or 6m. I put it up in my tiny 50x50 foot backyard so animals and kids won't be able to touch it while I'm operating. The flagpole itself resonants so could pose a danger if put in front yard. It's a great stealth antenna. Since I can't tx HF yet (haven't passed code), I've been faithfully putting American flag up each morning and taking it down at dusk. So neighbors are clueless about it's "other purpose". When I do get around to TX, if I interfere, maybe I won't be the first door they knock on. :) The Force 12 with SGC-237 is a great combo. Highly recommend. KD5YDY

KA9VHG Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2003 00:10 Send this review to a friend
A Fine Stealth Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased an extra section for my antenna, making it 20' tall. I believe the extra length helps the 40m performance. It is an excellent performer on 40-10m, and I have also made solid contacts on 80m and MARS frequencies. As another post mentioned, it isn't resonant on any amateur frequency so a tuner is required. I feed mine through an SGC-239 Smartuner mounted at the feedpoint. A good ground radial bed really helps the performance. I installed 60 20' radials around mine and am very pleased with the performance. An added plus - it's a great looking flagpole.

W9DJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2003 10:38 Send this review to a friend
A neat novelty antenna for restricted space locations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Force 12 flagpole antenna is 15 feet high, and does a credible job both as a flagpole and as an antenna. It resonates nowhere in the ham bands, or course, so I use an SGC 237 tuner at the base. It is quirky about which bands I can operate on, and may require extra coax between the tuner and the feed to add enough loss to make the tuner happy on some bands. The antenna comes with radials, and everything you need to install it, including radials, base, and connectors, except coax and concrete. It needs to be mounted in a concrete filled hole about 2 feet deep. It took me about 1 hour to install, not counting waiting on the concrete to dry. Most of that time was spent digging the hole. I used one 50 pound bag of "Quick-crete," and just dumped the concrete mix in the hole and added water. So far it's still standing. The flag supplied is too small, so I put on a bigger one (3x5 feet). As you can see from the picture in front of my house it looks great and my first contact was with the Canary Islands on 15 meters followed by W1AW on 40. Both were SSB. I have had a number of good ragchews since, both US and DX. It's not a pileup buster, but works surprisingly well. I'm not short of space, but I wanted a flagpole anyway and now I can operate from my front porch. Lazy field day location? Caution: be sure to get it vertical. I used a plumb bob. We have a restricted place in AZ, and I plan to buy another one to use down there.