Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | PSKMETER by KF6VSG Help

Reviews Summary for PSKMETER by KF6VSG
PSKMETER by KF6VSG Reviews: 29 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $39.35
Description: Microprocessor-based RF signal sampler that periodically checks your RF output, computes its IMD locally, and automatically sets the sound card's audio level to provide the highest RF output with minimum distortion.
More info: http://www.ssiserver.com/info/pskmeter/

You can write your own review of the PSKMETER by KF6VSG.

W0ACT Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2013 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A high quality kit that was easy to put together, which helps me do my part in putting out a clean signal on the air.

Makes me feel good when I hear remarks about how clean your signal looks during a QSO.

Payment was easy and delivery was fast.

If you PSK, I highly recommend one.

VA3SQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2011 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Product.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this product about 3 months ago after searching the web for other monitoring products. I am sure there are some better products out there, but for the money the PSKmeter has performed like a charm for me and it has become a another addition to my station setup. This kit took me about one hour to build and test. I found the assembly manual easy to follow and setup was very easy to do. I chose to go with a metal case and made sure all the cables inside, had RF chokes installed. I also installed a couple of RF cokes on the Coax cables attaching to the BNC Tee. The only real problem I had, was high pitch tone coming from the rig when the PSKmeter was on. It turned out to be a bad connection between the BNC Tee and input BNC Jack. I reseated the BNC Tee and dabbed a bit of silicon to hold it in place. I have read all the other reviews and have been very fortunate not to have experienced the problems others have . I still think for the money, the PSKmeter is very useful monitoring product.

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2011 11:48 Send this review to a friend
It works very well!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't understand the problems with this item that other people have. This is the second one I built after the original came out about 7-8 years ago. I like the low profile enclosure they have now. It works as it is supposed to IF you follow the instructions and do the testing required.

For those that are having problems, I strongly recommend that you check that the serial-to-USB converter is well seated in the DB-9 plug. I found out that the plastic cover of the enclosure might not let the pins "sit" as they should in the plug. Also, as explained in another review, the power plug is too close to the DB-9 jack. However, there are some enterprising guys who may have another way to provide power to the PSKMeter.

Also, be careful with the static as it might ruin the IC. Other than that, it should work as expected.

N5BCN Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2011 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Fun kit, useful tool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My experience with PSKMeter has been excellent.

Ordered the product and it arrived in the mail in a couple of days.

With the exception of a BNC T-connector, all parts were accounted for. An email to the vendor for the missing T-connector was answered within a couple hours and the missing part shipped the same day.

The silk screen PCB board is well labelled and roomy enough that assembly is a breeze. The instructions were clear and easy to understand. I've built an Elecraft K2 and several Elecraft accessories, so I have some experience building kits. This is an easy kit that took about an hour to complete.

My only complaint is that the DC power plug is too close to the serial plug, which makes it difficult to plug in the power source and serial cable at the same time (the housings of each cable push against each other). A dremel tool to the serial cable housing took care of that problem.

Unit worked the first time with a Windows 7 PC, Elecraft K2, and SignaLink USB setup. The PSKMeter software is simple but effective.

Overall, very useful product!

K7REX Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 21:42 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It worked the first time and does exactly what it was designed to do.

Easy to build, but you have to take your time and follow the instructions carefully.
Those that try to cut corners will have problems.

The instructions suggested the use of ferrite cores for RFI suppression. Good advice and easy to do. If you didn't do that, you should.

Thanks for a product well done.

AB5EU Rating: 0/5 Aug 22, 2010 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Bad Product - Bad Support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Assembled and checked out in diagnostic mode ok with Hyperterminal. Would not control the levels - checked signal path with scope, used a battery and other power sources as per FAQ with no difference. Tried four different laptops - Dell, HP & 2 IBM's with the same result.

Emailed support multiple times - no reply. Look elsewhere if you want a robust product - this one sucks.

WA1TFV Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2010 12:12 Send this review to a friend
WA1TFV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A useful product for the PSK operator

N7QAX Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 20:04 Send this review to a friend
works it suppose too.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I build the kit over a year ago. I have used the unit at my home QTH (ICOM IC-756PROIII) and portable (Yaesu FT-100D and ICOM IC-706). I have never a problem with it. During the portable operations, my club was at a expo to show off ham radio, the PSKMETER helped us produce a clean signal. Club members were very impressed with the kit. We are thinking using the kit to interduce kit building to other members.

VK4YEH Rating: 1/5 Dec 6, 2008 20:04 Send this review to a friend
poor service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The PSKMETER may or may not work, I still don't know. I ordered the kit and it arrived promptly, but I didn't start construction for a couple of weeks. Once I had started I found that three components were missing. I emailed the supplier a month ago and still have not even received a reply. Yes I know I can go out and buy the missing parts (in fact I intend to tomorrow) but that is not the point. I received a faulty item and have not had even the courtesy of a reply to my email.

I cant recommend the product because I haven't been able to use it yet, and certainly cannot recommend the supplier.

Tim R
VK4YEH

N3INM Rating: 2/5 Jul 19, 2008 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Wished it worked better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Easy to build and lots of great support from supplier. I was, even with help, not able to get the unit to work with my dell laptop and ICOM 746. Others have told me the unit worked for them.