Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry Radio Tempo 2001 Help

Reviews Summary for Henry Radio Tempo 2001
Henry Radio Tempo 2001 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $n/a
Description: 1.2KW Output Linear Amplifier, has two 8874 valves.
Works 10 thru 80.
More info: http://ftp://bama.sbc.edu/downloads/henry/2001/2001.djvu

You can write your own review of the Henry Radio Tempo 2001.

K5LG Rating: 3/5 Jun 3, 2008 07:00 Send this review to a friend
nice amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the amp for a couple of years. I never got used to the tuning and had to be careful not to burn out the 1 amp fuse that protects the grids(I think) . The amp worked ok, also had some relay problems with the amp. It wud miss the first dit when keying at times.

N8NM Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2006 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice, compact amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although the construction seems rather "cheap", this little amplifier has held up well for me over the past 15 years. The tubes are the originals from 1974, and show no signs of weakening.

The only complaints I have are that the inductor is rather hard to tune; the small knob on the vernier dial just doesn't provide enough leverage. Also, the blower is quite noisy. Otherwise, I have had no problems with the unit.

As with other compact amplifiers, this one runs "hot", and needs to be placed in "open air" to ensure adequate cooling.

All in all, not a bad amplifier. Given the price of replacement 8874 tubes, I'd be very careful when buying one of these. Something like an SB-220 would probably be a better value in the long run.

WD0CT Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2005 02:31 Send this review to a friend
really nice amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned a very good example of this amp. It used a pair of 8874s like an Alpha 76 I had. The tempo had a real tuned input though and needed much less drive.

The tuning was very exact and repeatable. The tank resonance tuning was by fixed caps and a roller inductor with a cool turns counter on it.

It did have one problem that seems to be fairly common to amps made for or by Henry. The filament voltage was over .7 volts too high. This is good power but death for tube life.

I made a wire wound resistor for mine to get filament v in spec.

The amp was a pleasure to operate, looked great, and had great power with low drive.

I REALLY regret selling it.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2004 14:29 Send this review to a friend
wonderful style and operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a neat, compact, value for the money linear. It matches the Collins S line almost perfectly in color and same general size as the 30L1 linear but with more power and plate dissipation for a true 800-900 watts OUTPUT on CW. The ceramic tubes will last a lifetime if you watch the grid current as on ANY modern 8877 or 8874 linear... The tuning output network is of a special design with band switching putting different fixed caps into the circuit, antenna tuning via roller inductor. Nice touch and very efficient, near 70% in my case. There is a rare, unique horizontal tuning eye above the general purpose meter. This allows a tuning match via a "scope" maximization circuit. Sorta neat to watch and accurate too! This seldom seen unit is a bargain at the $700-1000 range I have seen them in used condition. Often I have thought of selling this for a $3000 newer 2 tube 3CX800 amp, but it fits in as a secondary linear for me and perfect with my S line. Other used,inferior linears go for the same or more money, so don't overlook one of these jewels if you find one.

MW0KIK Rating: 4/5 Jun 2, 2003 11:56 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this amp for a few weeks now and I am very pleased.

Its very easy to tune has a built in warm up relay along with lots of other protection.

I dont use a linear on top band so for me the only down side is the cost of replacment valves.

With 1.2kw out - I only need to run this baby at a third of its output so the valves should last some time.