Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ-1700B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1700B
MFJ-1700B Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 6-position HF Antenna Transceiver Switch
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1700B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1700B.

AK4NJ Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2015 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice Switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked great to begin with. Then it began to work intermittently when switching antennas. I suspected the switch itself. I finally took the unit apart and found several rivets on the SO-239's were loose.

I drilled out the rivets (32 of them) and replaced them with stainless steel screws and Nylok nuts and that has solved the problem. Come on MFJ, Cheap aluminum pop rivets for mounting SO-239's ?

Also when I first got the 1700B, the knobs would rotate on the switch shaft. Tightening the hex screws didn't fix the problem. I filled a flat land on the shaft(s) for the set screws and Viola! End of problem.

I gave her a 4. I would buy another one if needed

KA0ADZ Rating: 3/5 Apr 4, 2012 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Needed work  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Switch was advertised as unused inputs grounded--NOT SO--burned out an input on a radio--took switch apart and ground lugs on switches not connected. I connected them to ground and now the switch works fine. Nice switch but poor workmanship at least in this case.

KC8Y Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2011 16:12 Send this review to a friend
great switch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also have this switch, BUT I use it for 2-xmtrs and 4-antennas (for HF only)...Have never used this device on UHF or VHF frequencies/antennas...The reason for me giving it a "4" rating is that one of the antenna terminals (SO-239) came loose/none connecting...All-in-all it's been great...Just wished they still made THIS configuration-layout

K9SL Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2011 15:51 Send this review to a friend
No Complaints  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this and then we moved and I never got a chance to use it until now. I have it hooked up but I am trying to figure out if it will also work on 2 meter and 440. Anybody know? The manual does not say.

VE3TMT Rating: 3/5 Aug 14, 2005 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Worked great to begin with. Then it began to work itermittently when switching antennas. I suspected the switches were flaky. I finally took the unit apart tonight and found one of the wire connections wasn't even soldered to the inner pin on the COM SO239. I quick solder job fixed that and has solved the problem, but MFJ's QC needs an overhaul, so what else is new.

K2MMM Rating: 0/5 Jan 29, 2005 21:38 Send this review to a friend
More F**ing Junk!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well after spending hours reorganizing the shack and routing cables to the switch, I found that there is a bad contact or something loose in the switch rendering it useless!!! One of the knobs stripped after about 50 clicks. As the song says "Won't Get Fooled Again"!!!
K2MMM
BTW the switch was bought unused...

W0DKM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2005 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run 4 antennas, 4 rigs, Amp, though this switch. Never a problem after 2 years.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2003 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Good Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you need an antenna switch, you might as well get one that has lots of capabilities. You will save yourself a lot money spent buying others later. This one will fill your needs for life.

Switch 6 different antennas among 6 different rigs. Ability to put a tuner or SWR meter in the circuit all the time. Only about twice the size and close to the same cost of a switch that does a whole lot less. What more could you want?

Best piece of MFJ gear I have owned. ;-)

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2003 16:10 Send this review to a friend
neat switching  Time owned: more than 12 months
on the TRANSMITTER SIDE, I have of choice of using my icom-736 xcvr or the MFJ-259 analyzer; on the ANTENNA SIDE, I use my choice of different types of antennas...use this setup, in combination, with my tuner. This setup allows me to have low SWR-reading(s), for any antenna...bought this switch a few years ago...it has NOT disappointed me

KD7UNL Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2003 13:35 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MFJ has a terrible reputation for sloppineess and cutting corners. But, so far I have no complaints about this 6 position switch.

The two knobs became a little loose after a few weeks but that is SOP for MJF. The SO-239's are screwed in place...an improvement over previous products.

It is very convenient to be able to switch multiple antennas to multiple rigs. My biggest problem is to remember to do so!