Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Hygain Ham IV Help

Reviews Summary for Hygain Ham IV
Hygain Ham IV Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $529.95
Description: 15 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=HAM-IV

You can write your own review of the Hygain Ham IV.

KE8EC Rating: 3/5 Mar 10, 2017 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Needs a Little Attention  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The rotator seems to be OK. The plastic case for the control unit was not what I expected. The control cable does not latch to the case of the controller at all. Rotator control cable is stiff, and as my set up requires a bit if a bend in the cable, not a really tight one, the Jones style plug has to be checked on occasion, as it tends to want to pull itself out of the plug in port. I also received the unit with the ground bolt very loose, I mean really loose, and moving around in the case, had to open the controller case and tighten the bolt. The control cable should have a way to be anchored firmly, and the loose grounding bolt issue, that's poor assembly procedure. All said though, the rotator has worked well for the time I have had it.

WD8OOJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2016 09:03 Send this review to a friend
5 Stars  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had mine in a tower at 45ft with a TH6DXX since 1978 and still turning with no service required.
And id buy another one .

PY2KNK Rating: 3/5 Jul 28, 2016 04:15 Send this review to a friend
Medium  Time owned: more than 12 months
I expected more from a HAM IV, HAM's many around the world say it is the most famous, robust and simple rotor there.

Good bought a HAM which used for less than 6 months (almost new), and sold me, was purchased in 2012, according to the manufacturer label.

Not had much luck, problems with brake solenoid, fought the rotor in a certain position, stop turning suddenly, made a noise in control, something seemed wrong.

I decided to investigate, opened the rotor found that between one of the wheels was missing a washer, then worked rubbing a gear in the other without lubrication, and the rotor was engaged in various positions without having any antenna weight.

Well, put the washer between the gears were also replaced with brake solenoid, did the tests, made a new lubrication when turned held hands and I could not stop it, looks very strong and functioning normally.

Now he is saved, you will get a spare rotor or perhaps for portable operations.

MFJ quickly sent all the required parts, and provided a good service.

I hope to in the future to a better grade for HAM IV.

PY2KNK

AC6BW Rating: 1/5 Dec 19, 2015 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Failed after 3 months  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My HAM-IV rotator failed after only 3 months of service. Over time, I noticed the rotation speed slowing down. Then, it would not rotate after a few minutes of use. The problem seemed to be temperature related, since it would rotate for a bit in the morning, but then would be stuck after a short time.

I troubleshot the rotator and the control unit, per the manual, and all connections and resistances tested good. Installation was per the book,and the unit was turning a very light 2 el yagi.

I returned the unit to MFJ, and even though the unit was outside of the 30 day return period, they refunded my money (minus a HEFTY restocking fee).

I suspect that the gear train had no grease, since the unit made an awful scraping noise when it rotated. I've since replaced it with a Yaesu G-450A, which is lighter and easier to install, and works much better.

MFJ quality has really gone downhill.

EA5OM Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2015 08:20 Send this review to a friend
About 30 years and like first day.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mounted 30 years ago inside tower with a heavy 25,5kg 3 Elements AH-15 10-15-20mts , 9 Elements VHF, 15 Elements UHF and Yaesu Satellite rotor without any problem. Congratulations Hy-Gain.

K9PLK Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2015 19:40 Send this review to a friend
BEST ROTATOR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine up 25 years no problem! Have a Mosley TA 33 m full size up on for 25 years no problems ! This when HY GAIN owned them not sure about the new ones! Had to rebuild the Mosley but not the rotator! Mosley still play well!

W3AMF Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2014 07:07 Send this review to a friend
It Works and Works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has a CDE label and is mounted on a rotor plate inside a Universal 9-40 tower. I have a 2" 10-foot steel mast installed on the rotor. The antenna load includes a Mosley TA-33JR, a Hy-Gain 4- element 6 meter yagi, and a 3- element vertical 2 meter yagi. The brake keeps it pointed true north at all times. It works as a rotor should.

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2012 08:57 Send this review to a friend
In use 30 years   Time owned: more than 12 months
Update 2012, it's now been up 30 years. No issues.
---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

Well I bought my Ham IV in 1982 when it was CDE before Hy gain bought them out and it's turned several beams over the past 27 years with the heaviest weighing 105 pounds. It's been trouble free other than changing a metering bulb in the control box.

I have thought about having it rebuilt since it's 27 years old but why mess with a perfectly working rotor.

W2MV Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2012 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent but have concerns  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used a Ham IV for 20+ years without a problem, until hurricane-force gusts damaged the brake. I really can't complain about that.
Replaced the rotor/controller in 2010 after that incident, and so far, so good, but I'm not crazy about the plastic-cased control box. The built-in 5 sec delay is good, however, I'm turning a 60-lb X7 beam and it takes generally at least 10 seconds for it to settle down and stop oscillating back and forth. I usually keep my finger on the brake for at least 10 seconds because of that.
My main concern is the fact that the Ham IV is now under MFJ's umbrella, and the associated quality issues. My Cushcraft is also now under MFJ, although I purchased it before then...not too happy about that either.

N4JA Rating: 3/5 Jan 8, 2012 13:03 Send this review to a friend
1 BAD 1 GOOD  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was using an Alliance HD-73 For years to turn several different antennas: TH-6DXX, Lightning Bolt Quad, and a 3-element SteppIR. It worked perfectly until it got hit by lightning. I wanted it to be repaired, but Rotor Norm said he would not repair it if I was going to use it on a SteppIR. Since I have a Green Heron universal control box, I ordered a HY-GAIN Ham IV rotor only from Rotor Norm. Installed it and it worked for 15 minutes. The brake solinoid shorted and would not work. After arguing with Rotor Norm, I sent the rotor back to him and he refunded my money. I ordered another HY-GAIN HAM IV from HRO in Atlanta and it worked perfectly from the get-go. Another case, in my opinion, of shoddy workmanship and materials from a company owned by MFJ.