Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Hygain Ham IV Help

Reviews Summary for Hygain Ham IV
Hygain Ham IV Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $529.95
Description: 15 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=HAM-IV

You can write your own review of the Hygain Ham IV.

KC9GUZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2007 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Great!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in 1995 i bought a H4 to replace a CD 45II that i had. I got the H4 simply because it had a break. The rotor was up a solid 12 years with no problems. I just recently removed my old tower and rotator that sat at my folkses unused and after rewiring the rotator to the control box it still works F/B. This after the rotator sat up in the tower unused and never turned for almost 5 years! Thats called longevity! I dont know if that can be said for the newer MFJ made rotators. Ive heard and read about some real horror storys about the new Ham 4s.

W3XAF Rating: 2/5 Aug 10, 2007 12:19 Send this review to a friend
RFI Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a brand-new Hy-Gain Ham IV Rotor and used it to rotate my MFJ-1775 rotatable dipole antenna.

I had no problems with the rotor. It worked fine but every time I transmitted, the directional needle in the Ham IV controller box would move about five degrees up & down. Even though I placed the ON/OFF Switch to the OFF position, the needle would still move when I transmitted. Finally my controller stopped working and I sent it back to Hy-Gain for warranty repairs. According to Hy-Gain, I burned up three transistors and three solid state control circuits.

After I got the repaired controller box back from Hy-Gain, I placed ferrite rings on the control cable leading to the controller and I also placed ferrite rings on the controller power cable. This solution dampened the needle swings to about three degrees up & down. When I removed the control cable from the back of the controller, the needle would not move at all when I transmitted. Therefore, I isolated the problem to RFI on the control cable.

Then I noticed that the Ham IV Rotor Directional Controller Plus case was made out of PLASTIC instead of metal. A plastic case affords zero RFI protection. To solve the problem, I placed aluminum foil around the entire plastic case and aluminum foil around the control cable and then grounded the aluminum foil.

I no longer have an RFI problem when I transmit.

When I telephoned Hy-Gain Tech Support and told them about my problem & solution, they replied that they never heard of this problem before.

I would appreciate any comments from Hy-Gain Ham IV Rotor users concerning similar problems.

N2CLB Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2007 18:30 Send this review to a friend
the best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i got a rebuilt one off of qth and have used for about 3 months now it is not a mfj and it has been rebuilt but i do not know how old it is and it is by far the best rotor i have ever used

NE5C Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2006 04:10 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used Hygains Rotors for years BUT...this time I purchased a Ham IV that needed cleaned up as it had been stored for years. As I was using my Drimmel tool to clean away the oxidation on the bottom the Date code was 1983. Long story short, and happy to say I cleaned and hooked this puppy up and AWAY SHE WENT...works like the work horse I always knew with the Ham IV! So if a Ham IV at 23 years old is still a ticking and working this way (and I know it wasn't rebuilt as it belonged to my brother) then this product STILL certainly has my RESPECT. GOD BLESS YOU and 73 DE N5JFJ

W8NWN Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2006 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine since 1978 turning a Mosley TA33 Junior. No problems at all with anything.

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2005 18:53 Send this review to a friend
A REAL HYGAIN !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not a MFJ hygain will last a long time with no repairs. Mine has been working great for 17 years. Joe ke9k

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2005 13:54 Send this review to a friend
NO PROBLEMS  Time owned: more than 12 months
This one is not MFJ.

So far so good.

Mike

W6FCS Rating: 1/5 Nov 18, 2005 15:00 Send this review to a friend
No more MFJ for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After a little use, the direction indicator went out - ie - Brake, left, and right lites stayed on. Call tech support - he knew what the problem was right away. Because so many had that problem? It was the internal relay for the direction indicator. Sent it in and it came back fixed at no charge.
Used it for a few weeks. Then the indicator started to wander around, just drifting and flaky indication. This time problem is with pot in the top of rotator unit. Used w/TH3-MK4 Hy-Gain beam.

N7EKX Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2005 02:08 Send this review to a friend
Completely Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a Ham-IV rotator in 1996, for installation within the top section of a Rohn 40-foot tower, using a thrust bearing. The instructions said to place 1/16" shims on the sides of 2" masts before attaching to the rotator, but I ignored that point. The rotator has performed reliably for 9 years now, with the only minor problem being a slightly jumpy bearing indicator on the control panel. The installed antenna is a 2-element quad on an 8' boom, perhaps a little smaller than the Ham-IV's maximum rating. With Hygain being taken over by MFJ, why push your luck, right?

N5KGN Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2004 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Reliable old rotators  Time owned: more than 12 months
My dad and I have both had Hygain Ham IV rotators for 15-18 yrs. Mine has never had a problem except for corroded screws on rotator terminal strip. (Who hasn't had THAT problem?)

My dad's rotator quit working a few weeks ago. We didn't know initially if it was the rotator or the Pro-Search controller he used with it. It turns out that the whole shebang took a power surge and the only things that died were the power fuse in the controller and the rotator motor.

I got a new motor, installed it, cleaned and relubed the bearings. Aside from a little balky operation from the new motor, after a break-in period all it now well with the Ham IV.

Extremely reliable and easy to repair.