Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | The Complete DXer by W9KNI, 3rd Edition Help

Reviews Summary for The Complete DXer by W9KNI, 3rd Edition
The Complete DXer by W9KNI, 3rd Edition Reviews: 42 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$19.95
Description: One of the most popular DX book ever written, "The Complete DX'er" is both the highly entertaining diary of a serious DX chaser, and at the same time full of lessons for DX'ing success. Written in a warm, personal style, this is a work you will read again and again. It very much respects and honors the traditions of DX'ing, yet brings a sense of excitement to the chase. The new 3rd edition has been revised to take into account the realities of DX'ing in the 21st century.
More info: http://www.idiompress.com/books-complete-dxer.html

You can write your own review of the The Complete DXer by W9KNI, 3rd Edition.

N8WRL Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2014 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic book!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am not even sure how many times I've read this book. I bought the 2nd edition, read it at least twice and left it on a plane. By then the 3rd edition came out so I bought that and read it a few times. Recently I was interested in what the first edition would be like. It was written in 1983 before the internet and maybe even widespread cluster use. I found a copy on Amazon and just finished reading it.

This is just a terrific book. Bob does a great job of helping us experience his excitement of the chase. He details the mechanics and techniques of DX-ing and really makes it fun. This is a how-to book to be sure.

Get it, and read it over and over. You won't be disappointed!

K7NSW Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2013 23:03 Send this review to a friend
GREAT BOOK - HERE IS WHY  Time owned: more than 12 months
W9KNI is Bob Locher. Bob is one of those unique people who knows how to tell you a fascinating story and teach you something at the same time. I have read this book several times and look forward to the next time. Knowing the results of each of his stories does not matter. With Bob's stories it is not the destination that counts. It is the trip getting there. His writing puts you in the chair with him. You feel his hopes, fatigue, and satisfaction when "another one is in the log". Looking for excitement? Plenty of it too. You can get the technical stuff just about anywhere. Bob pumps you up and helps you to know what to do when you are "in the chair" and makes you want to stay there. Bob teaches you the love of the chase and gives you a taste of the thrill of victory. A book about chasing DX does not get much better than this one. Gotta go now. I want to get into his second edition and once again read how he nailed a QSO with 9M6SP in East Malaysia. Really an interesting story. Best 73s and DX to you!

AD9DX Rating: 3/5 Aug 28, 2013 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Meh  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The book isn't written badly but it really doesn't teach you very much either. I really wish there was more technical information and a bit less personal drivel.

KC9UNL Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Must Have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read one of the earlier editions years ago and had a long period of inactivity on the bands. Since getting my license again, got this book. Great reading and a must for anyone wanting to work DX. It is easy to forget that listening is one of the key skills one must learn. If you have never read a book about working DX, you must read this one!
Thanks Bob for sharing your experience in working DX.

N3ZC Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2011 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Addictive & Informative  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my autographed copy (also got "A Year of DX")..I'm usually too hyper to sit & actually read a book, but I started on this & I'm hooked. I've learned some tips already & I've only had it for a couple days & only gone thru a few chapters. It's like Bob is sitting there with you tuning thru the bands. So far it's excellent..and it's been getting better the more I read. I really needed this as I've just been hacking around to get the Q's I have..I need to get with it to hunt down the others I need, & I know I will pick-up loads of tips from this read.

K7UA Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2010 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Great book!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my personalized signed by the author copy of the book from Idiom Press. This is a great book! If you have any interest in DXing, do youself a favor and get this.

VU2CDP Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2010 10:29 Send this review to a friend
The Bible of DX operating  Time owned: months
I doubt if any other publication on operating DX comes even close to this. Each chapter is a journey into the realm of HF DX, that crazy pursuit which makes us all do things that cause lot of domestic disturbances :-)
The skill with which Bob showcases his techniques makes the reader almost 'hear' those stations calling out from Bob's RX. His treatment of the subject is truly outstanding. Anyone who harbours the desire of getting on the HF bands and working DX would greatly benefit from this book. It just teaches you so much. I call it the Ultimate Guide to DXing or the Bible of DX Operating.

Bob was kind enough to autograph my copy and that was a very nice gesture. Thanks Bob!

Enough said. Go order a copy if you don't have it yet.

73, Deepak VU2CDP

VK2CA Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2008 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Good read - takes your there!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi All

Bob's writing takes you on a ride along with him as he chases the DX! It's not like reading at all as his style seems to have you sitting in the shack with him soaking up the experience. You come out at the end with a new found knowledge about DXing but feeling like you picked it up yourself watching Bob. I would definitely recommend this to all aspiring DXers - even the veterans who want to get even better! Well done Bob.

Cheers...Allan VK2CA

N0HR Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2008 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Read this book!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Complete DXer by W9KNI is comparable to having an expert guide with you on a big-game safari... Bob's stories and tips give you an advantage in the hunt of rare DX.

Through Bob's chases, you'll find yourself engrossed in many aspects of DXing: Listening, CQing, QSLing, contesting, and much more. He lets you in on some secrets that help move you up the DXCC ranks.

The amazing thing is that this is a very easy read - that is, the book is entertaining enough that you don't feel as if you're reading a "how to work DX manual". Rather, you are taken on his hunts and learn from his successes (and failures).

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in DX (veteran or newbie).

For more of my review and details of the book, check out:

K4ML Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Superb Edition  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In this third edition, Bob Locher serves up a pleasant surprise as he updates what I had thought was a timeless work. Bob's focus remains on technique, rather than toys -- and, as in the past, he succeeds in alternately entertaining, inspiring and educating us in the techniques of the best DX chasers around. We see from Bob's scenarios that so many of us go at it bass-ackwards, and Bob straightens us out in his wonderful writing style that we saw in his 1983 original, then the 1989 revision and now the 2003 third edition. No chapter escaped the excellent updating. An example is the inclusion of best use of spotting networks and other such techniques that have evolved since the 1989 second edition.

So, are you chasing DX, but don't seem to break through those pile-ups? You need this book before you shop for a bigger amplifier. Got a problem getting those treasured QSL's? You need this book, not more green stamps in the envelope. Interested in QRP DX'ing? Read this book first!

So, here is a wonderfully entertaining education in successful DX'ing. Do yourself a favor and crack this book. Chances are good you won't put it down until you reach the back cover.