Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | The Complete DXer by W9KNI, 3rd Edition Help

Reviews Summary for The Complete DXer by W9KNI, 3rd Edition
The Complete DXer by W9KNI, 3rd Edition Reviews: 42 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$19.95
Description: One of the most popular DX book ever written, "The Complete DX'er" is both the highly entertaining diary of a serious DX chaser, and at the same time full of lessons for DX'ing success. Written in a warm, personal style, this is a work you will read again and again. It very much respects and honors the traditions of DX'ing, yet brings a sense of excitement to the chase. The new 3rd edition has been revised to take into account the realities of DX'ing in the 21st century.
More info: http://www.idiompress.com/books-complete-dxer.html

You can write your own review of the The Complete DXer by W9KNI, 3rd Edition.

KG6TT Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2006 08:27 Send this review to a friend
A very fun yet informative reading experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finished reading the 3rd Edition of the 'Complete DX'er' (cover to cover) about two months ago. It was an exceptional read for me. Not only beneficial in content but Bob Locher's story telling technique made it very 'human'. I felt like the 'novice' in the shack eavesdropping on the events. The book could have been far longer and I still would have had trouble putting it down.

In comparison, I really struggled through AC6V's 'DXing 101'.... it just wasn't the same reading experience and AC6V's material is so easily dated. On the other hand, Bob's (W9KNI) avoidance of too many specifics as to equipment choices, etc., was greatly appreciated and resulted in a book of far greater value. From my perspective I really don't care about someone's personal (highly subjective) equipment choice unless there is really something unusual about it... what I do care about is technique, experience, attitude.... and just vicariously going along for the ride.

In particular I really appreciated Bob Locher's sharing how he obtained DX honor roll a second time using only an Electraft K2 (well and a very nice antenna). So many hams new and old need to understand that they don't have to have a monstrous investment in equipment and an antenna farm that few could ever have access to in order to reach the 'honors' as a DXer.

The 'Complete DX'er' is full of great tips, techniques and advice. Forty plus years as a ham and I've never even accomplished my DXCC.... I am an ex-RF engineer and technician type ham... mostly building, fixing, trying and moving on.... but I do enjoy DXing... I just don't enjoy the pileup mentality. It really puts me off. However, using the great suggestions I found in 'The Complete DX'er' I am successfully finding the DX before the pile up does. A slower hunt? Sure, but ultimately a lot more satisfying and truly a lot more fun!

Keep up the great work Bob! Hope to read The Fourth Edition in a few years, but until then wonder if Bob Locher has considered writing a second title? Errrrr how about 'Adventures in DXing'?
Jerald, KG6TT

AI8P Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2006 05:30 Send this review to a friend
An absolute must have!  Time owned: months
I'm a relatively new ham and most of what I know I learned from this book. I can pick up this book and read a chapter almost any time - it is that entertaining. I have probably read this a dozen times or so and I imagine I will read it many more times.

This is a rare and remarkable combination of genuinely entertaining writing which also conveys valuable technical information. I am going to get my XYL to read it so she can understand why I spend time in the Shack.

Every ham should have this book, DX'er or not!

AI8P

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2006 13:27 Send this review to a friend
A pleasure to read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This one is a real pleasure to read. Those of us who are after the "rare on" will ejoy this great writing about spending nights in front of the radio and tuning round the bands.

W3FLH Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2006 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Great book, Great guy!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I waited a long time to decide to buy this book, and I'm glad I finally broke down and got it. The book holds a lot of great info for the casual and serious DX'er alike. W9KNI's writing style really does make you feel as if he is talking TO you, not AT you. His way of relating his own trials and tribulations makes for easy reading, and you're getting a DX education at the same time.
I've had the pleasure of communicating with Bob, W9KNI, a few times, and I have to tell you, the book is as genuine as the man. He is a class guy, and really puts the "ham spirit" into his work.
If you like to chase DX at all, you'll like this book.
de Rich, w3flh

WM8C Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 07:31 Send this review to a friend
If you chase DX,, then you must have this!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one the best written books on DX'ing I have ever read. I purchased the original about 15 years ago and it forever changed how I chase DX. I went from struggling to work 100 countries over a few years at the time, to working over 100 countries in a month after reading the book. Before reading this book, pile-ups were a mystery to me but after reading it, I developed the savy to work through the thickest ones. A must have for the beginner and experienced alike. Easy reading too...the diary style stories keeps you interested and coming back for more. The 3rd edition adds some needed updating for the new century but still a fantastic book.

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2006 11:31 Send this review to a friend
A Great Read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a ham since the late 1950s and DX still is enjoyable for me. After reading the reviews here, I ordered the book in early December. It arrived after the holidays and I took it and my arthritic knees directly to an eliptical machine at the gym. It was like concurrently sitting down with an old friend and discovering a new DX entity. I simply lost track of the time. Unlike the turgid academic wrtiting styles I am used to, Bob's style is warm and inviting. I learned some of the things he writes about the hard way; others, however, were new and refreshing approaches. I plan to loan a copy to an old friend of mine who can still do 20 wpm after a tour of duty in the Naval Reserve, but is apprehensive about working CW because he is unfamiliar with the terminolgy. Like Bob, I gradually moved to QRP to refresh my interest in the hobby. I also fondly remember the many hours everyone spent listening rather than doggedly monitoring spotting nets with consequent insane pile-ups. Unlike him, I still refuse to use the nets and have limited myself to simple antennas in a small Chicago lot that is twenty feet wide. Gone are the days of my 4 element beam in the early 1960s, but every DX contact is an enjoyable conquest. This is a must read for any ham considering DX activity. Kudos to Bob!

de Dick, K8RBW

AE6CP Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2005 18:31 Send this review to a friend
great even for non DXer's  Time owned: more than 12 months
This book was given to me by an older ham several years ago, I had a blast reading it and I wish I hadn't given it away to another ham after I was done.
I'm not a DXer by any stretch of the word but Bob's book brought me right into his basement shack at 0330 in the morning, I could smell the tubes in the amp, the coffee in the cup and I could hear the faint unregulated sound of DX calling CQ.
He is a talented writer, I hope he writes another book about his QRP conquest.

W6SQL Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2005 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Informative and a great read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob's book has totally changed the way I operate. Since reading it a little more than a month ago, I've added easily 18 states and 4 DXCC entities.

He offers advice that in hindsight seems obvious, but I have to admit, I didn't know it. Where I used to sit on a frequency and call CQ and work the same old 6's and 7's (I'm in California) I now listen 99% of the time, and actively seek the weak or the 'interesting' signals. My appreciation for the hobby expanded tenfold just with this change in approach.

Bob's writing style is very enjoyable and you will definitely 'get' the excitement of the chase.

N4KZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2004 10:45 Send this review to a friend
One of my favorites  Time owned: more than 12 months
What to say about this book? Once I started reading, I could not put it down. Bob's writing style captures the reader and won't let go. I learned so much about DXing from this book. I got to tell Bob in person at Dayton how much I enjoyed it. If you work DX or think you might like it, you must read this book -- that's all there is to it.

QRZ? up 5

73, Dave, N4KZ

M3IGA Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2004 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Great book - couldn't put it down  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is a really great book, I can hardly wait the sequel.

I found this book on the net, not knowing anything about dx-ing in detail, then I was instantly hooked.

This book is a very entertaining and yet thoughtful teaching aid, good reading and everything in all. Having got a British Foundation licence so far, the 10 watts allowed made me realize, if I want to do any dx-ing, I have to do some serious work on my non-existing cw skills. All of the effect of this book. And my first ever cw qso - it was a thrilling experience.

Thanks again Bob!

I can thoroughly recommend only this book to everyone, regardless of experience. This really means the difference between 'listening' to the bands or just turning the knobs.

I have to admit, I read this book 3 times (there are really very few books I read even twice!). I have not read anything remotely similar concise work on DX-ing. If you already got the DX-bug, you won't regret buing it, if not yet, you will catch it, just like I did.

I'd give it a rate 6 (if there was rate 6), but in the absence of other grades I will call it 60(dB) over 5.
Read it, you will be instantly mesmerised by the magic world of DX-ing!