Reviews Categories | Microphones | Pryme SPM-402(A) Help

Reviews Summary for Pryme SPM-402(A)
Pryme SPM-402(A) Reviews: 3 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Boom-Microphone with PTT switch, compatible with FT-50, VX1
and (supposedly) VX5
More info: http://www.pryme.com

You can write your own review of the Pryme SPM-402(A).

KC9GGH Rating: 3/5 Jan 31, 2006 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Did not work for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the same problem as the previous reviewer. All the audio reports using the mic on my ear have been weak.

The boom on the mic is not long enough to get around to my mouth. When I move the mike and remove the earpiece, the audio quality is acceptable. If I press the microphone against my cheek and hold it there, the audio is acceptable or if I pull the mic around to my mouth with the earpiece in my ear it works. These were not acceptable alternatives so I returned it for a MFJ 288K whick is working great and I am receiving good reports.

I have the type of voice that does not carry well so this may be part of the problem. I spoke with other hams that use the mic and like it. I chose it for the design so the mic would not be directly in front of me and the substantial PTT button. I was able to get the Pryme folks on the phone and they tried to help but I chose to try another model. If you can, I would go to the store with your HR and try it and see if it will work for you. It does seem like a quality piece of equipment and does seem to work for some so I did not want to give it less than a 3 rating.

AA1VS Rating: 1/5 Sep 9, 2004 22:21 Send this review to a friend
For Small People  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The boom on the mic is not long enough to get around to my mouth. All the audio reports using the mic on my ear have been weak. When I move the mike and remove the earpiece, the audio quality is good. I will not use this accessory but include it to pass on to the next owner.

On the plus side, the earpiece is really comfortable.

K6LCS Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2004 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Improvements  Time owned: more than 12 months
The "A" in "SPM-400A" means improved cabling and a much better PTT button and housing. The earhook is soft and comfortable - and centers the foam-covered earphone onto your ear. The PTT button is vert "tactile" - you can definitely "feel" it click...even if wearing gloves. The cabling is long enough to place the coffin-shaped PTT housing at your belt, if desired. Great improvement over the previous release.