Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Elk 2M 5-Element UHF Conn Help

Reviews Summary for Elk 2M 5-Element UHF Conn
Elk 2M 5-Element UHF Conn Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $54.95
Description: 2M Gain 6 dbd (8 dBi)
20 +dB Front to Back Ratio
24 Inch Boom
1:1 SWR 144-148 Mhz
200W Max Power 2M,
Weighs 1.3 lbs.
Corrosion resistant aluminum alloy boom
Stainless steel hardware
Designed for long life
More info: http://www.elkantennas.com/2m5element.htm

You can write your own review of the Elk 2M 5-Element UHF Conn.

KC2NTV Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2005 17:13 Send this review to a friend
WONDERFUL ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my 2M 5-Element for just about a month...
I love it....!
First let me tell you my location.. I live in the Hudson Valley in New York. (QTH Millbrook) I am about 75 miles from both NYC and Albany. I pointed it to the south in the direction of NYC. ( many more repeater that area)
I am able to hit almost all Metropolitan repeaters, N. New Jersey, and a bunch of NE Penn repeaters.. (one was 150 miles away)
To test the straight of the radio and antenna I went simplex with a station in Middletown NY with just 10W with a S7+ and at 5W with a S2+!!!!!! Middletown is about 50 miles south west of me!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!
I am able to hit a few repeaters north of me (back end of the antenna) My reports from stations say S5+ on a regular bases... weather permitting...
I would buy another if the need was arose

N7TV Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2005 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Compact Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first purchased the Elk 2M 5-Element antenna about 10 years ago. I was going to use it for 2M SSB as a rover. I finally set it up, along with the 8-Element 440 antenna, as my satellite antennas for AO-10. They worked great as a pair and used them for a year or so. Went to a Hamfest and found a couple of KLM cross yagi satellite antennas and bought them, put them up and sold the Elks. The Ham that I sold the Elks to lived close to me and we use to work AO-10 together. He was working the same stations that I was working with the monster KLM's all the time. A lot smaller antennas, easier to use, less expensive. I wanted to buy them back. He said, "No way". I bought a new pair of the Elks for portable HT tripod satellite contacts. I have used them on AO-51 a few times with great results. The reason I chose these antennas over the cross yagi arrow satellite antenna was that they are separate antennas and can be used either vertically or horizontally with a twist of the antenna. The small size and color coded screw on elements are a plus for portable operation. I have owned two sets of Elks now, and would recommend them for portable, QRP, portable satellite use.

N6XFC Rating: 4/5 Jun 7, 2004 01:50 Send this review to a friend
It's a Little BOOMER!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a beam for 2m with specific requirements for use to hide hidden transmitters.
It needed to be small, high gain, good front to back ratio and can handle at least 200w.
I only found 3 that could handle that power but they were much too long. Also my experience with 2 of those manufactures has taught me that they need new Jigs & Tooling to make a better and closer to tolerance product. Not to mention removing the burs and sharp edges & use a better grade of aluminum.

By accident I found ELK antennas. I have herd of them before but never taken any notice of them. They had a beam with most of the requirements I was looking for. The gain at 8db was a little low but for a 24 boom that is pretty good.

To make this short & sweet; 5mw KF6GQ micro transmitter, 6000 in a canyon, 61 crow miles to the start point, 10 miles over 7000 Mt range, horizontal with it clearly being herd at the start point at 500 feet & the stories I herd from the hunters lead me to believe that this little 5 elm beam was a BOOMER!

More testing to be done. So far a very impressive little beam!

Pictures - will be here soon. http://www.thunter.org/pics/0522904pic.htm

~Steve / N6XFC

KG6GMT Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2004 22:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Rover Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 144/440 log it is use for VHF/UHF contests with my Yaesu FT-817. The antenna is easy to set up the elements are color coded. The SWR is 1:1 on both bands. I have also made several AO-27 contacts with it.