Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Radio Shack Mobile Peaker Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Mobile Peaker
Radio Shack Mobile Peaker Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $24.00 uk
Description: Amplified mobile speaker with mount and cables
More info: http://www.radioshack.co.uk/category.php?viewCat=122

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Mobile Peaker.

KB0HAE Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2012 05:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Comm speaker.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using these speakers for years with my Ham radios. They sound better than any other speaker that I have tried for HF and VHF radio use. That includes the much more expensive matching speakers for several HF radios. These have been discontinued for a few years now, but I recently found a fifth one for a spare on eBay. RS has a new Comm speaker with the same part number as these, but I have not tried the newer one.

If you see one, buy it!

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2008 01:56 Send this review to a friend
Damm good for FM use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked two of these up for $5 a piece and it was money well spent. The are very clear especially for FM use.

Steve, VR2XMQ

K3MOV Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2008 16:32 Send this review to a friend
It gets better as I get older!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used several of these non-amplified speakers for both mobile and base use. (Never had an RF feedback problem because of no amplification circuit.) I don't do mobile anymore, but I actually have one hooked up in parallel with my ICOM SP 20 speaker. I'm not sure of what its frquency response is, but I do know that as my hearing gets worse with age, I am able to hear QSOs from this speaker that I cannot make out with my SP 20, even with the filters activated. It ain't pretty, but it sure beats a hearing aid or that MFJ product that Martin Jue "invented" because he was losing his high frquency hearing. I also use one as my computer speaker. As you can imagine, I'm listening to news and talk not high quality music ;-) The product fills a gap for me.

KI4TVH Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2007 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this extension speaker at my local RS last week. My only complaint would be that it's a big on the large size for mobile use and I couldn't find a good place to hide it, it wouldn't fit under the seat. I've got it mounted just in front of the seat on the floor pointing up. It makes a huge difference over the iternal speaker of my mobile, which is mounted under the driver's seat.

KE5OKQ Rating: 2/5 Aug 6, 2007 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Tin can & string audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used itin my base. Cheap plastic case. Very tinny audio, RFI feedback on transmit. Replaced with pair of $18 Altec Lansing amplified speakers. No comparison. RS speakers were a waste of $$$

KO6UJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2006 21:26 Send this review to a friend
14 yrs of using 2 in my Rx7  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two of these amplified speakers for use in my 1987 Rx7 daily driver. After 14 years of non-stop usage I cannot complain. They work quite well, and the amplified pair are more than adequate in getting over the sound of my 75dBa Rx7.

No problems, works well, a no-brainer.

K3SUI Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for an RS product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these because of all the "5" ratings it was getting. The first one would work for about 15 secs and the power light would fade out. Problem was internal to the speaker. Returned it for a replacement and have been using this for a few weeks. Very nice speaker. I needed to roll up the windows to hear the radio because of the road noise. I can keep the windows down, now and NO PROBLEMS hearing this speaker. It is amazingly loud. The tone is "communications quality". If you want HiFi you will HATE this speaker ... but if you want to hear the guy on the radio, this is the speaker to get. For the money ... it cannot be beat!!

K5MTF Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2005 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Great speaker for the cost  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this amplified speaker to go under my passenger seat to go with my dual-band mobile rig. I have the "a" band wired into the car stereo system but wanted to be able to monitor the "b" band at the same time. I feel that I get great sound from the speaker with plenty of volume, even under the seat where I mounted it. Clarity is good. I would recommend this without reservation.

DT593 Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2004 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Best out of 10 tried  Time owned: more than 12 months
about 10 years ago I noticed that my taste in music started to change...I put baffles in My Harley Davidson Chopper and a new heavy door between my radio room and the living room (Where my wife hangs out) I also noticed that radios which I always thought sounded OK started to have sounds actually irritating to my ears. I bought 50 dollar Motorola mobile speakers...MFJ......Mighty Mites and what have you...end result was I found the goofy little under dash extention speakers sold at Radio Shack actually had the most pleasing sound quality for listening to VOICE communications. I am not trying to compare one of these little babies to anything like my Kenwood SP-940 speaker or anything in that leaugue...but for a CHEAP little external speaker dont waste your time with all the oddballs out there just go to the shack and save yourself some time. I have also been very very pleased with the amplified version (newer one without a volume control on it) of their underdash speaker. Used with my Pro-43 handheld scanner it works great. I can actually hear what is being said while driving over 25MPH. the older models of the amplified speakers are fine but I like the newer ones that are adjusted via the input given them..NICE CLEAR and LOUD if need be

2E0WPZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2003 04:10 Send this review to a friend
Well worth it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As mobile speakers go this gives a great level of volume with a slightly higher tone than the many I`ve tried over the years that allows you to hear what is being said at motorway speeds in a van. In the past I have used a small amp designed for car audio and had all the problems of running 12vdc to it and hiding all the wires etc. This works and is tidy.