Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | N4VAS Icom PC Interface Help

Reviews Summary for N4VAS Icom PC Interface
N4VAS Icom PC Interface Reviews: 48 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $30.00 shipped (US)
Description: A copy of the Icom CI-V. This is an external interface that easily disconnects so you can switch serial devices without having to get in back of your PC. It works on most newer Icom rigs (VHF/HF/UHF) and with most 3rd party as well as Icom's software. Very nefty and cheap too.
More info: http://home.comcast.net/~n4vas/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

You can write your own review of the N4VAS Icom PC Interface.

K6JAJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2006 15:14 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had just won a IC-756 ProII on eBay when I saw Newton's add for the what I call "the black box". I thought I would need this from what Newton had said in his add so I bought it. It was here in,I think,2-3 days. I still didn't have the ProII so I didn't know what the thing did.
Well it does just what Newton said it would do. It provides an interface between ICOM's little 1/8 cheep connector to an RS-232 connector!
Most manufactures are kind enough to provide an RS-232 output but not ICOM???

Any way, for a small price Newton N4VAS has provided use the interface we need and,I have to say,I don't see how he can build them as well as he does for his price $25.00. Icom wants $130.00 for the same.

The interface works great and I believe Newton has done Ham Radio a favor at this small price!!

Newton has answered every question by email within 2-3 hours and is very helpful.

One last thing I would like to add is that for RIG CONTROL from a Logging Program like I wanted to do. Newtons box works great!! It's the Logging programs that have let use down not Newton. He can't Begin to know all the applications for the box!! Log Window says they can do the ProII but can't and DX4WIN at least doesn't say they can do it,in my version, 6.03 at least. This is not Newton's fault, although he does try to help. The box does just what he says. It is soft ware in the logging that won't work with the ProII not the box.

To check the box I down loaded Ham Radio Deluxe
as Jim K4HPP suggests,above,in his review of Newton's well made box and all works great!!!!!

Bottom line for RS-232 digital control for the ProII you need Newtons black box!! No instructions are needed!! It's PLUG and PLAY with a serial cable, ( NOT MODEM ) and your on your way. Also thanks to Ham Radio Deluxe HB9DRV for his FREE soft ware. (see review by K4HPP) The "Black Box" is a great product!! and Great support by Newton!!
73s Gary K6JAJ

K7JJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2006 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received an new IC-7000 for Christmas! On the Dec. 27th, I ordered the N4VAS level converter. I received it on Jan 4th. I installed it and checked it out using Ham Radio Deluxe. Seamless integration; no problemo.

Newton even followed up with an email to see how things were going. He really wants the user to be satisfied. Fine job! Good support, if needed.

73, Dave Earnest, K7JJ

W5IHN Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2005 16:41 Send this review to a friend
wonderful product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the interface within 2 days and could not get it to talk to my ic718... After several emails back and forth with Newton I realized that it might be my used serial cable. A new one from the Shack solved the problem.. At 1/4th the cost of some others this is bargain unit ..Tnx Newton

W4RSG Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2005 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simple and easy to set up. Works very well and does not require yet another wall wart in an already crowded plug strip behind the desk. I wanted a simple solution to inteface my computer to my Icom 756proIII and this was the answer. I could not be more pleased. I wish everything worked this well. Newton was timely with his correspondence and shipping. If you need an interface for your PC and your radio this is the ticket.

K4HPP Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2005 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the interface to use with my IC-756PRO3 and Log Windows logging software. It arrived in two days after my E-bay purchase. After hooking everything up, the program did not recognize the rig. I thought the interface must be bad. Not so! A couple of e-mails to the current support group for Log Windows indicated that the software will not work with the PRO3. Time to get new software. I downloaded Ham Radio Deluxe and everything works just fine. The N4VAS interface does everything it promises and at 1/4 the cost of the CT-17 is a great deal. Newton has done a really nice job on this little gem!

N0OBG Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2005 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the N4VAS interface box, connected it as described and it worked. No muss, no fuss, it worked. I coupled Ham Radio Deluxe, the N4VAS , and my ICOM 706 MKIIG together and everything worked and continues to work. I found out the 706 does things I was not aware of and everything is now so simple even a "Cave Man" can operate it. Wonderful product.

WA4SBA Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2005 20:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little is gem is very easy to install and set up. Mine interfaces my IC 756 to my homebrew PC. Works perfectly. I received the interface three days after purchasing it on ebay. As others have said you can't beat the price.

WA9OIG Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2005 08:24 Send this review to a friend
I have 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works excellent, runs 3 different Icom rigs. Plug it in and go. The price is right!

W0PT Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2005 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered the interface after reading reviews on this web site. Item received within 3 days of order. Item as described and worked fine. Received follow up email from N4VAS to confirm I had received the interface and it was what I expected. Good Product, great support!

KE7AMS Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2005 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Works perfectly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Unit is very easy to hook up and supports both
RS-232 and USB. This unit works perfectly.