Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | SGC SG-2020ADSP2 Help

Reviews Summary for SGC SG-2020ADSP2
SGC SG-2020ADSP2 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $795.00
Description: 20Watt SSB/CW transceiver, 160-10 Meters
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com

You can write your own review of the SGC SG-2020ADSP2.

W0LC Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2005 08:12 Send this review to a friend
One of the Best!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned the SGC-2020 and then sent it to SGC for upgrade to the ADSP2 configuration. What a dramatic change! The unit was already great but the ADSP2 really pumps!

This radio is inexpensive and yet, you can take it anywhere, do DXing (split), general coverage receive, 60 meters, the works. I love it and most of the positive comments already state what I would have passed along. If you have the chance to get one, do it! It is well worth the money!

KR3DX Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2004 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Nice little rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig has been around for about 6 years now, it seems that the major bugs have been fixed. 2 quirks still bother me though: When you leave the "split" mode, the rig reverts to the transmit freq instead of the receive freq, I don't know if there is logic to this or not. Also, I believe that some functions would be better served if the button would toggle the feature on and off instead of requiring the op to keep the button depressed while making the adjustment. (the "fast" tuning feature is the most obvious) These are firmware issues of course but this rig is not "flash" updatable like some others are. The 20 "memories" (or are they 20 VFO's ?) are unusual, but again I knew about this before buying the rig. Receiver performance seems better than the small rigs offered by I-Ken-Su, especially IP3 which is the most important. The freq generation scheme is also unusual, but at least you can tune WWV and then use the "calibrate" function to get within a couple of 10's of Hz of actual freq. The problem is, this then "adjusts" the other 19 VFOs by a similar amount, so all of the "memories" must be calibrated. Nice package, I wish that Ten-Tec would house all of their rigs in the same type of heavy aluminum enclosure. The circuit boards seem well made, the components seem to be of good quality. Again, this is a mature product, so I would expect very good reliability from the 2020.

KB3JLZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2004 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Woot!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love it! First day out of the box I worked a few M4 stations who were running 400+watts and were a bit shocked to hear/give me a 59 report on my 10 watts. The DSP functions is simply awesome and have never had to use the "2" feature of the DSP2. The first level wipes just about any junk out. Honestly, I am enjoying this rig more than my Yaesu fixed station and almost have the XYL talked into a second rig and a THP for home use!

Good Job!

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2004 16:34 Send this review to a friend
A little Gem of a Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a few problems right out of the box, but the staff at SGC took care of them in short order. I have only had the radio back for a few days, but I will say it is the most fun HF radio I have owned in 34 years on the air. The ADSP2 runs RINGS around the dsp in an Icom 703 I had and beats the pants off my Kenwood TS-570SG. The new SGC software eliminates the old problem of receiver overload and audio pumping--I can listen to kilowatts off the S meter scale with no distortion and with the RF gain wide open. Running 20 watts and a Radio Works Carolina Windom, in one afternoon on 20 meters SSB I worked Poland, Spain, Portugal, Russia, Croatia and a host of other DX stations with good signal reports. The Adaptive Signal Processing automatically adds just the right amount of dsp depending on the band noise and is most impressive. It can even distinguish between a solid carrier and a cw signal, removing the carrier and leaving the cw signal untouched...AMAZING!I have also found the cw operation to be very good, and the little bit of relay noise is not a factor, and much quieter than my previous Icom 703. The SCAF filtering, combined with the 3 DSP filter bandwidths available really dig out the weak qrp cw stations I enjoy working. The toughness of the little 2020, you could stand on the case and not hurt it, combined with the performance of the receiver and the availability of 20 to 25 watts, (greatly appreciated with the declining bands), makes this the best little portable radio I have ever owned. I got tired of scrolling thru the menues of my Icom 703 evertytime I wanted to change something. With the 2020, just a couple of button pushes gets me where I want to go almost instantly, and I don't have to reread the manual all the time to figure it all out. It does not have a lot of useless features either...what would I do with hundreds of silly memories?... but it makes basic SSB and CW operation quick and intinctive. It is really simple to use once you get the hang of it. I can also attest to the promptness and quality of the SGC factory service. I would not hesitate to buy this radio again or recommend it to anyone looking for a tough little portable SSB/CW transceiver. It is a little gem of a radio!!! Best of all, it is 100% AMERICAN MADE! This is my first SGC product, but it certainly won't be my last. The new little SG-211 tuner looks like an ideal travel companion for the SG-2020.Even tho I had a couple of problems with my radio right out of the box, based on the attitude and service of the SGC factory folks getting it corrected, I will gladly rate the SGC-2020ADSP2 a FIVE!!

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2004 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Love it!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OUTSTANDING performance. SGC broke the mold, and came up with something different. If you are "married" to your menu-laden YaeComWood rig, you might not like it at first, but give it a little time. Take it camping, and hook it to your Emtech ZM-2 tuner (AWESOME little unit itself!). Play around a bit, and I really think you will come to enjoy it's simple operation, not to mention it's performance. I wouldn't give it up for any other 20W rig. Thanks for the space, and 73- Greg, KC8HXO

AB4YE Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2004 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Unique  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received this rig, and am impressed with it. It has quirks. They've all been discussed, but I'll try to be more descriptive. The ADSP2 is sensational. Someone here described it as listening to FM squelched no signal. It's sometimes that good.
A complaint about strong signals, on frequency and off, is valid. The key is simply to cut the rf gain down a bit. Why should you have to do this on a modern piece of equipment? This rig is a melding of the old and new. Some things work better than others. Knowing this beforehand helped greatly.
I find the receiver to be highly pleasant to listen to, especially for "rag chewing" mode. The bandpass filters work at least as well as the similar filter on my Ten-Tec Scout.

One of the big "downers" CW ops have is the noise the relays make. I am mostly a CW op, and this is a non issue. You have to be really neurotic to not be able to ignore the tiny noise this rig makes in CW Mode. Again, it's a non issue, and CW operation is quite nice and the filtering is very good.

Now, the real issue, which will cure itself with practice: The confusing system of button presses, combination button presses, all with buttons seemingly labeled at random. Everything works as advertised, and is really quite nice, but you should purchase or make a cheatsheet (or cut the cheatsheet off the box and paste it somewhere convenient).

The first place I used the rig was in my 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. A car with lots of noise, especially air conditioner/fan noise. The DSP completey removes this noise. Sometimes, the DSP causes a slight sound of water droplets into a sink, but this is only in the presense of great noise, and it's not a problem. Even with this sometime noise, it's not irritating and the audio is so much better than it is with the DSP off that it's completely acceptable.

I have an Icom IC-703 and yaesu ft-857 both with DSP, and the ADSP2 is at least twice as effective as the others. I would compare the 703 and 857's dsp to the original DSP that SGC put in the radios.

Audio reports are excellent on SSB. The rig's case is exceptional in it's apparent toughness.

This rig impressed me so much that I just purchased a used version on EBAY for portable use. This is an odd, quirky, but in the end, a really good radio.

WB7LP Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2004 02:58 Send this review to a friend
ADSP2 Makes a Fine Rig Even Better!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my 2020 for over 8 years and have never had a problem with the radio. A really nice thing about SGC (and a few other mfgs out there) is their apparent willingness to continue to update their product line(s) and then offer those improvements to the current install-base.
I sent my radio in for ADSP upgrade about 5 years ago (which was an improvement over the plain-vanilla 2020) but just recently sent the rig in for the ADSP2 upgrade. The latter adds so much to the functionality of the receiver that I now don't know how I got by without it ... it's like getting a new radio!! Thank-You SGC!

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2004 15:56 Send this review to a friend
NOT sorry I bought this rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A full-time missionary-church planter based in Mexico, but traveling all over the world, I spend some time on the very rough mountain trails, hiking to remote Indian villages, inaccessible by any kind of motor vehicle, (accept helicopter!). These towns have no electrical power, either.

I was looking for reliable HF comms: SSB, CW and digital. This would be a 25% backpack and 75% briefcase portable station. After doing a lot of research on the various multi-band HF rigs that have both SSB and CW for HF and reading all the dozens of complaints about burnt-out finals on both the Yaesu FT817 and the Icom 703, I narrowed it down to a SGC 2020. Sure, I know you donít get 6, 2 or 440, nor 10 FM. But what I wanted was something that would not commit suicide when I most needed HF communications. So I am back home with my SG2020 ADSP2. Wow! What a radio! This little rig could probably survive a tornado!

A few posters complained about the SG2020. However, most of their comments were about the NON-ADSP2 version of this rig. The upgrade to include the ADSP2 is a worthwhile improvement.

Others complained about the CW relay clacking. Actually, I have had a lot of fun using it on C.W. Works great! The SCAF filters plus the ADSP2 help me really pull out the week ones. This little radio has a very hot receiver. The audio reports on SSB have also been great. Of course, as in ALL my rigs (Kenwood, Yaesu, Tentec, etc.) I also changed the mike element to the Heil HC4 DX element and the reports were even better! I am NOT sorry I bought this rig!

Oh, and it works the new digital modes just fine.

Dr. Stephen Wilson, XE1UFO Ė KA5SUT
xe1ufo@hotmail.com
www.projectbridge.org
www.qsl.net/xe1ufo

NZ7C Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2003 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Solid functional rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have zero complaints about this rig. It is solid as a rock and completely fullfills the purposes for which it was designed. Just don't try to make it be something it was never intended to be - like an Icom ProII! I did make a 10 minute modification to it so that changing the audio level does not increase the sidtone volume - a very slick mod that can be found in the files section of the SGC2020 yahoo group. I also happen to love the memory system. Very practical and similar to that used in the TenTec Omni V and the Index Labs QRP+. The ADSP2 works extremely well - they did their homework on that part.

AB8NU Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2003 00:59 Send this review to a friend
A Great QRP Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The SG-2020 packs alot of punch out of a small tough little package. I've used this rig in the shack and in the field with great results and good signal reports. Hams are generally amazed when they learn that at most, your only using 20 watts of power out.

SGC's post purchase support has been great as well. For example, the ADSP2 upgrade.

Like other SG-2020 owners, I took advantage of SGC's introductory offer to upgrade my SG-2020 with ADSP to ADSP2. The ADSP2 upgrade has provided dramtically noticable performance results. The ADSP2 upgrade delivers clean crisp audio that really brings the tuned signal through like it never did before.

Before buying this rig, I've read other user's comment that if you can hear them, you can work them. I can attest to the fact that this is not an overstatement. You can't break through pileups, but if you're quick to the punch, you can get through.

Recently, while on vacation on an island off the coast of Maine, I used my battery powered rig with a portable antenna and while using 20 watts of power out, I was able to conduct a QSO to Italy on SSB as well as LA, CA. This rig provides super performance while drawing nominal battery power.

SGC accessories are a little pricey, but there are many second source products available at a lower price that work very satisfactorily with this rig and provide comparable functionality.

Ever since first purchasing this rig, I have been totally amazed at the results that it delivers. I own serveral QRP rigs and this one is my favorite. The SG-2020 with ADSP2 is a field tough rig with proven performance results and I can't imagine ever parting with it.