Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | IronHorse Mini HF Sticks IHFM Help

Reviews Summary for IronHorse Mini HF Sticks IHFM
IronHorse Mini HF Sticks IHFM Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: Short Mini version of HF Sticks
More info: http://www.atoctechnologies.com/

You can write your own review of the IronHorse Mini HF Sticks IHFM.

VE3UFI Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2003 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Better than I expected!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Yeasu FT857 that I'm using in my mini van and I had been struggling with mobile antennas and mounts for a while. When I saw the Iron Horse mini's at my local ham store, I thought, why not give the 20M a try. I honestly bought this antenna thinking "it won't be a big loss at this price if it dosen't work ". Also the rep at the store said he had sold a few and not heard anything negative about them.

As in the previous review I used a Comet hatchback antenna mount, however I had little trouble getting a good match. My first contact was a 5-7 from northern Italy. I've had 5-9 and 5-9+ reports as since. I'm very happy with this antenna's performance given its small size.

I work in a large metropolitian area and I do a lot of travelling as I'm required to visit customer sites. The Iron Horse allows me to work HF without taking out all the lights in underground parking lots.

As we all know "size" is everything when it comes to antennas. But when it's a problem, these antennas are a great alternative. That's why I'm giving it a 5.

I will definitly look into additional units.

73's

KA1UN Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2003 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Work Better Than Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently installed an ICOM 706MkIIG in my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee using a Comet hatchback antenna mount. I decided to try the new 20m mini stick before going to the longer standard Ironhorse or Ham Stick. Since the length was less than 3 feet and the cost was only $20, I reasoned it would be a great deal if it worked. Getting the SWR down took little maneuvering of the antenna's angular positioning as well as the length of the stinger. The 3 dimensional adjustment allowed by the mount made this very easy, I only had to watch the meter on my MFJ 259. After all was said and done the antenna was below 2:1 pretty much across the phone portion of the band. I have been plesantly surprised with 5-7 to 5-9 reports from: England, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Prince Edward Island, Ohio and Florida so far from southern NH. The antenna construction appears first rate and the Comet mount is top notch. I am also using the Ironhorse quick disconnects. With these favorable results, I visited HRO again and picked up mini sticks for 40, 17, 15 and 10. The performance certainly doesn't match my Force 12 tribander, but for $20 per band and 3 feet in length, these Ironhorse mini sticks represent an excellent value.