Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | PRYME RD-7SMA 7" HT Dual Band Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for PRYME RD-7SMA 7" HT Dual Band Antenna
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $$22.00
Description: RD-9SMA Thin Duck Antenna: The RD-9 is an extremely thin, extremely flexible 7" tall rubber duck that should surely improve your HT's performance on both Two Meters and 440 MHz. The antenna has an SMA connector which is protected by a rubber moisture shield, and is molded to sit firmly on your radio's connector, preventing excessive wear and tear.(From the PRYME web page)
More info: http://www.pryme.com

You can write your own review of the PRYME RD-7SMA 7" HT Dual Band Antenna.

N7RSF Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2006 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Goos antenna, but fragile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Considering this review says it's for an RD-7SMA, yet all the responses are for the RD-9SMA, I hope it gets fixed to eliminate confusion.

Anyway, I bought this antenna to replace the bulky antenna supplied stock with the VX-7R after a recommendation from the kind folks at K-comm in San Antonio, TX. At first I had problems with it, then I realized the center pin was shorter than normal, so I just tightend it down a bit harder and vioala! Great reception and great TX capability compaired to the stock VX-7R antenna, even in the low bands it worked as well as the stock antenna with the lo-band attachment.

When I mention fragile, well, the anenna base is thin plastic and mine took an 8 foot fall and broke, so be carefull about dropping your radio with this antenna on it... it may not survive... and so far, super-glue isn't working for a fix.

I'd get another, but I'm hard on radios, so I may get something a bit more sturdy, but I still highly recommend the RD-9SMA.

KG4PTZ Rating: 2/5 Nov 18, 2004 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Flawed, but otherwise ok.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this antenna to replace the factory duck on my Kenwood TH-F6A, since I never use 222 and didn't want to pay Maldol 50 bucks for an antenna, so I picked this up thinking that it would be a worthy replacement. I was quite wrong. It took me a while before I noticed that my antenna, like quite a few belonging to reviewers on this site, has the recessed center conductor problem. This only became apparent when trying to monitor IFLOWS with my D7. The D7 (running its stock antenna) was getting an S-9, but the F6 with the Pryme got nothing, not even a squelch-breaker. So I grabbed the F6's factory duck, and it too got an S-9. Needless to say, the Pryme has not been back on an HT since then. But since I'll be running either a mobile dual-bander or a 2m 5/8 wave from the bike, I won't have to worry as much about it now.

KC2IGY Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2004 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the RD-9 antenna on my Kenwood G71A, and Icom R5. It works great on both. No problems with the pin being to short. IMO, a great deal for around $19.

KE4DYF Rating: 2/5 Jan 27, 2004 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Center conductor too dang short!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up an RD-9SMA antenna a few days ago and just couldn't get the thing to work with my Yaesu VX-2R. After seeing some other reports that the center conductor is too short, I looked at mine and sure enough, same problem. By brother told me that a quick fix is to take the rubber grommet off my VX-2R (around the base of its SMA connector) and that would allow about one more turn on the threads on the radio's SMA. Anyway, did this and it works fine. But I wonder if I could have damaged the finals on my Yaesu when the center conductor wasn't making connection because I may have hit the PTT a few times. It seems to be transmitting fine on 2m, so I don't really know if it's a "it either works or it doesn't -- no in-between". And I haven't talked on 70cm, but it hears fine there.

Anyway, I'm kind of upset that this antenna was allowed to be released with the center conductor too recessed into the base of the thing. I wonder if there's some kind of industry standard as to what the allowable tolerance is for an SMA center conductor. I bought this antenna at ARS and will be taking it back in the next day or two to see if they have another without this problem. I've read that you can look at a batch of these antennas and might find one with the center conductor that's longer -- I'll see. My rating is an average -- good construction, excellent performance (when you can get the center conductor to make contact), but bad on Pryme's part to let them slip by their quality assurance guys with the mentioned problem.
Mark

K1VP Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2003 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Works FB for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not sure why the others have had a bad time with this antenna. I have used one with a VX-5R and a couple of other HTs and in each case it has outperformed the factory supplied antenna on 2M and 440. Glad I read the reviews after I went shopping and not before! I tested it carefully after reading the reviews on several repeaters both far and near. Works FB for a 7" antenna. I like the flexible and small nature of the antenna over the thick and inflexible OEM HT antennas.

NE0P Rating: 1/5 Jul 13, 2003 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Piece of junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gave this antenna a 1 only because I got it for free (kind of). If I had paid money for it, I would have been more upset. Here is the deal. I purchased a demo Kenwood F6A after using one of my friends F6As for a few days. The dealer sent the wrong antenna (an Icom one), so they made it up by sending me a Pryme RD9SMA. They really didn't give me a choice, they just sent this one.

In terms of how it compared to the stock F6A HT, it is no better, at least from my experience. The second time I attached it to the HT, it didn't work. Took it off and tried again, and got it working. It will make contact with the center pin on the F6A, but you have to attach it just right, and tighten it up pretty snug. So I take it off, and the antenna comes off and leaves the SMA connector attached to the HT! Finally got the connector off, and screwed back into the HT. This is when the antenna was 2 days old.

Can't see that it helps receive at all. I also have a diamond SMA24, and it runs rings around this pryme unit. The Pryme is a little more sturdy whipwise, but not much. Wish someone would make a real rubber duck after market antenna instead of these thin pieces of crap. My advise is to buy something else. Yes this antenna will transmit, but that is about it. Didn't help my receive any either. I can get local FM radio stations some of the time, but can't get the local channel 7 audio at all without turning off the squelch. I will never buy another pryme antenna.

KQ4KK Rating: 1/5 Jun 9, 2003 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Cute, doesn't with VX7R  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's the RD-9SMA. 7" long. The center pin of the antenna is too short to make contact with the two YAESU VX-7R's I have.