Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Vertex VXA-700 Spirit Help

Reviews Summary for Vertex VXA-700 Spirit
Vertex VXA-700 Spirit Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $$419
Description: Aviation AM Band transceiver with VOR navigation and 2m Ham FM operation
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/aviation/vxa700.html

You can write your own review of the Vertex VXA-700 Spirit.

KB9ZXX Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2004 02:38 Send this review to a friend
nice radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this radio for about 9 months now and have to report that it is a nice little radio. I cannot give the radio a 5 however. The reason is that I have had it lock up on me a couple times. It's not really that big of an issue as all I had to do was to turn it off and back on again. Mostly an issue of the user key doing this.

I've had nothing but great audio reports with it on my local repeater and simplex. I haven't had to use the aviation transmit yet. Not that this is a bad thing, but I can't comment on how it does there. The reception on the aviation bands is quite good.

I bought the rig as a back up to radios in the planes I fly. It has served me quite well and battery life is exceptional. This radio did more than make me feel better about flying in rental aircraft, it got me back into ham radio. I was without a rig until I bought this.

If you are looking for a very nice 2 meter radio and would like to be able to use it in the aircraft as a back up, this is the only way to fly.

K9PO Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2003 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Interesting and cool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a pilot and a ham so this is a product that I think is really neat. When I fly I like to have a complete back up radio to use in the event of a total electrical failure or total loss of communications especially if I am flying in the clouds. The VXA-700 is a full airband transceiver and can be used for navigation. VOR navigation from a hand held device in the cockpit is always dicey but it is better to have the capability when you really nead it.

The radio comes with a charger, LiION battery, multi-band antenna and most important the aviation headset adapter. This allows you to use the radio with you headset in the noisy cockpit.

The radio works well on 2m ham with excellent audio. The AM RX also works very well and I can hear ORD approach from my basement which I never was able to do with my JRC aviation HT. The user interface is a bit clunky for cockpit use but very similiar to the Yeasu VX-7. BTW all the VX-7 assy. will work with this radio.

Ham vendors tend to carry this at the full MSRP but the pilot supply houses (Spinners, Marv Golden, etc.) are selling below MSRP.

Bottom line is a good product for us pilot/ham types.

Scott