Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | Up Two - the Adventures of a DXpeditioner by G3SXW Help

Reviews Summary for Up Two - the Adventures of a DXpeditioner by G3SXW
Up Two - the Adventures of a DXpeditioner by G3SXW Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: Are you a DX'er? Have you longed to be on the other side of the pile-ups? Do you dream of taking a rig to exotic locations? Do thoughts of mountains, oceans, and deserts send shivers down your spine? If your answer to any of the above questions is yes, you are in for a rare treat. This 240 page book spans over 30 years of G3SXW’s DX'pedition life experiences from 22 different rare countries. It is certain to bring you the vicarious thrills of operating from exotic places.
More info: http://www.idiompress.com/books-up-two.html

You can write your own review of the Up Two - the Adventures of a DXpeditioner by G3SXW.

G4EDR Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2013 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Compulsive Reading!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this book direct from the author here in the UK. Roger signed my copy which was a nice touch.

I've been licenced since 1973 and have would not consider myself as a serious DXer. What have I been missing!

The enthusiasm in Roger's writing is addictive. Each trip is described in a similar way - idea, planning, travel, setup and operating but that for me made for compulsive reading. What problems and suprises would be encountered this time?

I don't count myself as a reader of books, reading only if I have to! If you are in this category and have only a passing interest in DXing I would urge you to get a copy of this book. It will give you an idea of what goes on to get that DXpedition on the air.

XV4TUJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Recommend it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great book. Great stories by Roger and a lot of advices for organizing an expedition or just working DX. Good balance between radio stories and historical/cultural background about the places he visited. Some repetitions are present because of the non chronologic structure of the chapters, but not enough to make an unpleasant reading. For the price it will give many hours of enjoyment.

G4VXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2004 04:59 Send this review to a friend
A Great Read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For me, the greatest thing about this book is the sheer enthusiasm that Roger has for DXing, Contesting and Amateur Radio in general. And you know what? It's infectious - once you've finished reading the book you'll want to get straight to the rig and chase down some DX!

Roger has some well-made observations on the way of life in the far-off places to which he has travelled, which are worthy of plenty of thought.

The book is not so specialist that it would put off newcomers or a more general audience and is written in an accessible and entertaining style.

Having had the pleasure of knowing and working with Roger personally, reading the book is second only to an evening in his company, telling radio stories and enjoying a beer!

This is a must-read for anyone who loves DX

AD5MU Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2004 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Arm Chair Adventure  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw "Up Two" by Roger Western reviewed on this web site and decided I needed to read it. What an adventure. If you thought reading a book couldn't come close to the fun of operating DX on the air, then read "Up Two". G3SXW takes you along with him through several years of DXpeditions through various parts of the world. In fact, the book is organized regionally and each artical is intened to be read as a stand alone. This makes for great evening reading.

Roger has worked nearly every CW DXer on the planet and the back of the book contains a list of cross referenced call signs. If you don't find yours listed, chances are you worked one of Roger's contacts that are listed.

Makes me wanna go to South Africa, hop on a supply ship and visit the small islands of the South Atlantic. That was some ambitious undertaking and Roger had me right along with him as I read that chapter.

ON5ZO Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2003 06:08 Send this review to a friend
More of this ASAP, please!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Summer came and I wanted to spend some time outside of the shack but still it had to be about amateur radio. Most hams will relate: it's always slumbering in the back of our heads, that addictive hobby of ours. I like to read, but was looking for something other than technical books with formulas, diagrams and schematics. I had seen somewhere on the internet that IdiomPress sells two books, and I placed an order for this book as well as W9KNI's 'The Complete DXer' (see also reviews for this book).

Although being rather new on HF, I already know Roger G3SXW is rather a busy bee (he and his pal Nigel G3TXF delivered me some nice DXCC goodies). So I was anxious to read his book. And boy, what a book this is. There are only two bad things about it: it should have been twice as thick at least (or should I have read the 238 pages at half speed?), and it urgently needs a sequel of some sort. I devoured the book, I just couldn't stop reading - literally.
Roger tells some stories (22 chapters on travel and some interesting general chapters as well) about his travels throughout the whole world, from the 70s to 2002. Every story learns us something about the background of the country, its people and of course: the preparation and trip itself, including the operating. It gives you a great picture of what DX-madmen like Roger G3SXW and his friends go through just to have some fun in the pile ups or in a contest. We, being on the other side of the pile up, sometimes forget that those guys travelled around the globe sometimes to end up in harsh situations - from now on, I'll appreciate these efforts even more.

All in all, this book is a must have. It is written very well, the content is magnificent and I hope it'll invite other seasoned hams to tell their stories. And indeed: this might also be appropriate material for non-hams to get to know what DXing (and to a lesser degree) contesting is about.

Thanks Roger G3SXW for sharing all this with us in such a FB way, and to IdiomPress: please publish more of this!

- Franki ON5ZO

One remark for buyers outside USA: after 5 weeks I still did not have the books delivered. I was beginning to worry a bit, and sent an email to IdiomPress. They answered me right away that shipments by surface mail take 6 to 8 weeks to arrive. Indeed: on day 1 of week 7 the books were in the mailbox, in pristine shape. Good service!

G4HZV Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2003 16:39 Send this review to a friend
First class read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think even a non ham could enjoy this. Roger is clearly one of life's travellers and this book is as much a well written travelogue as it is a book about dxpeditions and contesting.

If you're a CW dxer or contester, then buy it - it's an excellent read.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2003 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An excellent read, written by a very good DX-peditioner. Roger describes the local customs and cultures where he visits as well as explains the technical and radio operating aspect of his travels. This makes the book a great summer read, and will make you want to be on the "handling" side of a pile up.

W0VX Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2003 15:18 Send this review to a friend
A Great Read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the past 30 years Roger Western, G3SXW, has provided many of us with a new country. In “Up Two – Adventures of a DXpeditioner” he chronicles the adventures of putting on those rare countries. Most of his DXpeditiion activity, both solo and with a contest team, was from countries in West Africa, Asia, and the Pacific. A chapter is devoted to each of the countries.

In the book Roger presents a unique blend of geography, history, culture, personal interaction, DXpeditioning, and contesting giving us the big picture. It is well written and very enjoyable to read. His descriptions are vivid and will instantly conjure up a mental picture of the in country conditions. The final few chapters offer tips on how to work a DX pileup and how get the QSL card.

It’s another book you will have trouble putting down once you start it. This is a great companion to The Complete DXer 3rd Edition by W9KNI.