Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SMA-703 Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SMA-703
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $30.00
Description: short tri-band HT antenna with SMA connector
More info: http://www.natcommgroup.com/content.php?menu=3605&page_id=71

You can write your own review of the Comet SMA-703.

AD0DQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2013 10:49 Send this review to a friend
great at 1.2 ghz  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I do not believe that the reviews of this antenna have been particularly fair, so I feel compelled to offer my own analysis, for what it's worth. I don't have tons of test equipment and field strength meters, but on my Alinco DJ-G7 this antenna performs flawlessly on 1.2 Ghz. When I am on an HT, I am trying to hit repeaters within five miles of where I am, and I'm not trying for the world DX record. So if I can talk comfortably on my local repeaters and still be able to pull in the very occasional 1.2 ghz signal, then I'm happy. And I am happy with this antenna. No one has complained about my radio, and I have full quieting into our local repeaters with it.
It could be I have a good radio and it doesn't really matter what I put on top of it, but I think this antenna does a fine job and I would buy it again.

W7MAG Rating: 3/5 Dec 28, 2011 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Good 'nuff  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this little antenna for many years.
I use it on a Kenwood TH-F6A as a kick around antenna. It's tough, flexible and even when bent way over, can be bent back with little effort.

Now, as an antenna, it's ok, Not all that good on 2 meter, ok on 440 and really good receiving on 1.2ghz.
For the broadcast band, forget about it.
Why do I use it? It's really flexible and unobtrusive.

If you want a small form factor and you are close to the locations you are trying to work, it's fine. If you are looking for a long range antenna, move along, there is nothing to see here. I have better results with the stock antenna. (or for really good results I use the SRH320A but it's BIG)

Would I buy it again? Yup.
Need range? Get a beam.
Need small form factor and short range?
This should do the trick, however, remember,
Your mileage may vary.

N4HNH Rating: 2/5 Apr 20, 2011 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Inferior to the Maldol MH-209SMA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased both the Comet SMA-703 and the Maldol MH-209SMA when I purchased my Yaesu VX2R. The comet is clearly inferior to the Maldol. The Maldol is half the height, yet handily out performs the Comet. The Comet has a slight lead over the VX2R's OEM antenna from Yaesu but not much. The Comet performs better on 440Mhz than it does on 2m. It is closer in performance to the Maldol MH-209SMA on 440Mhz but is noticeable inferior in 2m.

I recently purchased a Yaesu FT-60R and thought maybe I could find a use for the Comet SMA-703 as a replacement for the OEM antenna, but the OEM antenna out performs the SMA-703 on 2m and is equal to the OEM antenna on 440MHz. I'm afraid I just don't see a compelling reason to purchase the SMA-703.

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2005 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Reasonable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Works well and as advertised...especially on 2 - 440 - 1.2 Gig. I cant see how anyone faults it for no shortwave, medium wave or Lowfer beacons. Stinger portion is forgiving and easily bends back to original straight vertical shape. Someone said the diamond equivilent version is less forgiving(?)

VE7LGT Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2004 04:19 Send this review to a friend
No Broadcast band or SW RX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought on of these antennas and installed it on my vx2-r I would have to say that this is a far better antenna on rx then the stock antenna except for the lack of brodcast band and shortwave rx (totaly dead) as far as transmit it would seem to be just as good if not slightly better . I have also tried a few other antennas on this radio and would have to say that the best for overall rx was a stock Alinco DJ 100/120 antenna . I have tried a Pryme RD8 and it worked about the same as the 703 but with adapter was heavier than the radio. I feel this antenna may actually work better on the WX band than any other antenna as i can hear wx stations that I have never heard on this radio. It also is a great match to the radio I gave it a 4 because of the lack of Broadcast and SW rx

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 1/5 Jun 16, 2003 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Don't bother with this one!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
- i give this antenna a 1 because it appears well-made...

- but that's about it! i should have known better, but this little stinker is just as bad as, if not worse, than the dummy loads provided with most HTs...

- don't get this antenna if you're looking for better performance from your HT's OEM antenna... i'd suggest Comet's SMA-503 for 2M ops, or even better, a Pryme RD98, especially for wideband-receive HTs...

- HTs need all the help they can get, and the SMA-703 isn't going to help your HT at all!

- this is an expensive, yet non-functional accessory!