Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Maldol HMC 6s Help

Reviews Summary for Maldol HMC 6s
Maldol HMC 6s Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $159
Description: Multiband HF/VHF/UHF Antenna
More info: http://www.natcommgroup.com/article.php?sid=5&mode=nested&order=0

You can write your own review of the Maldol HMC 6s.

KE3MX Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2011 08:58 Send this review to a friend
1st impression  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed antenna yesterday & took everyones advice and applied red locktite to all permenant set screws & blue locktite to tuning set screws! 1st contacts on my drive to work this morning T32C DxPedition & a ZL2 on 20m from North NJ! First impression is that it's not a multi-band dummmy load! Using a Comet HD truck lip mount on my hatch door, upon arrival at work, antenna was tilted back, obviously to much wind load on mount, so I will be guying this bad boy! Hearing DX I never heard on Diamonds HF series mono-band stix mag mounted in center of roof. Will have see how this plays out, so far so good!

KB8JNE Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2011 07:58 Send this review to a friend
I like it. So far, so good, and DX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I too worry about the unbalanced weight distribution on this antenna but so far on my cheap home built mount for the rear tire carrier on my Jeep Wrangler, it's working very well. I used to run with multiple Shark (hamstick variant) antennas for each band. I know conditions are really improving right now and no matter what folks say about antennas, I still think it's about 90% propagation. When it's good even the most compromised antenna will work. I had not reached 1,000 miles per watt with my FT-817 in the car until I spoke the other day to the Ukraine from Ohio with this antenna, on 10m no less.

Tuning was easy once you decipher the typewritten and copied translated Chinese instructions. Tune as indicated in the paper and it just works. I'll have to see how long the multiple tiny Allen head screw joints stay tight but again, a few weeks into owning this antenna and my 5w was heard in Bosnia, Manchester, Ukraine and Denmark and Washington State, from Ohio on 10m and 15m. I'm pleased with it's functionality. 2m and 440MHz repeaters in the area are full scale now as well. Too bad 6m died out a few weeks back. Good combination of bands for me. Now to hunt down the elusive 17m coil...

N2NKP Rating: 2/5 Sep 19, 2010 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Mechanical Design is Weak  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of the HMC 6S antennas for over a year but have seldom used it. I probably have less than 1,000 road miles on the antenna using a heavy duty truck mount. The antenna has worked well for contacts and has been surprisingly effective. Tuning each band wasn't much trouble (several bands are a little narrow but that's not a big problem). Most of the time, I've used the antenna during freeway travel with speeds typically in the 70-75mph range. After the last trip as I was inspecting the antenna, I noticed the "phenolic" piece on the main shaft approx. 1 foot above the base was starting to "deform" so the antenna was no longer straight. In my application, there is no good way to effectively use a "tether" to help support the upper antenna area and reduce the deflection and swinging at highway speeds which undoubtedly caused the bending. I have removed the antenna from service as it's obvious continued use would result in antenna failure and breakage. I would advise others to either tether the antenna or, as other's have said, use it where lower speeds would be the norm. It is innovatively designed but is quite top heavy which creates a real problem if you'll be using the antenna during sustained interstate highway travel.

M0PSH Rating: 3/5 Sep 28, 2006 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Not bad but snaps when it gets old  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran a Maldol HM6CS for over a year - aerial remained attached to the roof of my VW Golf 24/7/365.

Was very happy with the performance of the antenna - SWR was a bit squiffy on 21Mhz, but it still worked very well.
Put 100W through it regularly with no issues.

I do a lot of driving in my job and subjected the aerial to about 30,000 miles at speeds up to 90MPH.

One day at 50 MPH on the M4 motorway there was a loud BANG from the roof of the car and as I looked in my rear view mirror I watched the Maldol bouncing down the middle lane of the M4! Luckily there was no one close behind me.

The base of the Maldol had fractured and snapped.

OK, I'd given it a lot of use, but this episode was worrying. I assume the break was due to lots of stress applied to the aerial (going round bends, braking, accelerating, wind resistance)

I'd recommend the Maldol, but a caution should be issued with the antenna (DON'T GO ANY FASTER THAN 50MPH!!!!), and drive cautiously!! It's a rather top-heavy antenna.

Radio reports have been excellent though and as long as you're not a high mileage driver I'd recommend this antenna 100%

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2006 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile antenna without protrusions to break off  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my Maldol HMC-6S for probably about nine months now. So far I'm very pleased. Unlike the Comet UHV-6 there are no elements sticking out that break off easily. The mechanical construction is actually very good. Like all large Japanese mobile antennas expect to have to tighten up all the Allen screws after several weeks of steady use. This is true of my Diamond CR-224A 2m/222MHz dual band antenna (brilliant!) and I would certainly expect it to be true of this sort of HF antenna which has lots of parts.

I ran mine for a long time in the 20m/15m/10m/6m/2m/70cm configuration and after initial tuning it did work well on all bands. As expected it's a bit narrow banded, especially on 20m. On 10m you'll be able to work the SSB section of the band -OR- the FM section, not both. The internal tuner in my IC-703 allows me to stretch the usable range out a bit. Prior to getting that radio I used it without a tuner and still found the range acceptable.

I just recently bought the HMC-7C loading coil and, like most 40m mobile antennas, performance is just tolerable and it is quite narrow. In other words it works as expected.

This is a durable antenna that has no moving parts to fail, no tuner required, and no need to stop to change bands. It's ideal for today's multiband mobile rigs. With a duplexer or triplexer it also works well with my IC-703 plus a 2m/70cm rig. I don't think there's a better choice, especially at the price.

F5DQK Rating: 4/5 Jun 15, 2005 04:43 Send this review to a friend
SW hard tuning, but not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Measures were made with an Icom IC-706MKIIg in a Renault Espace. Its plastic roof is partially covered with aluminium 3M Scotch for minimum RF grounding, and works well with other whips (Comet SB-6 2M/70cm, Comet CHL-350 6/10M) !!

After purchasing it as a 2nd hand antenna I'd immediately test its comportment with a Daiwa CN-410 ROS meter up to 144 MHz. 7 and 28 MHz were roughly tuned. 21 MHz was totally out of band, centered at 22.6 MHz.

I thing this antenna'll be needed in holidays conditions, only with a standing vehicle (motor off).
M3x4 screws are sure not long enough, the BTR key becoming rapidly smothed shapes. I'd change with longer M3x6 screws, but thing that M4 ones at the construction would sure better "harden" it, especially for really mobile conditions.

Now tuning: roughly said
- Core position (antenna middle) reacts drastically on 21 MHz, also a certain part on 28 MHz, but less on 7 MHz.
- Bands from 50 to 432 MHz are factory pretuned.

Manual SW tuning order was done as follows:
- 21 MHz center frequency with central core positionning.
- 7 MHz with antenna high part tuning; but less affected by the other tunings.
- 28 SSB or 29 MHz FM with middle part tuning (core opposite position). But choice MUST initially be made
between both. If not, an another 10 M part choice gives rapidly an out of range 21 MHz band !!
- Readjusting of first and third parts by "converging mode".

As example, I'd first choice 28.55/21.25 MHz middle frequencies. Next table gives SWR values according to frequency

28,5 MHz SSB band

10 meter highest part is now 14.1 cm out of its receptacle
40 M 7,008 7,039 7,057 7,076 7,099
15 M 21,233 21,343 21,442 21,526 21,594
10 M 28,53 29,93 29,59 29,716 29,964

In fact there are 2 ten meter central frequencies: 29.22 AND 29.59 MHz, and it's the same for all other 10
meter tuning conditions. But 2nd dip becomes more "dip" with a higher 10 meter middle frequ. choice.

And finally 27.7 MHz central SSB CB band
10 meter highest part is now 23 cm out of its receptacle
40 M 6,982 7 7,015 7,035 7,053
15 M 20,8 20,86 20,9 20,953 21
10 M 26,78 27,324 27,686 28,078 28,408

As we can see, a 900 kHz detuning on 10 meter gives a 300 kHz detuning of the middle frequency on 21 MHz.
Again choice immediateley YOUR 21/28 MHz center frequency couple first !!

Bands measures from 50 to 432 MHz, not affected by manual SW tuning:
6 M 49,32 50,29 50,9 51,66 52,5 ==> good large band
2 M 140 144 147,6 150,35 152,2 ==> good large band
70 cm No center frequency in band, SWR always about 2 ==> very disappointing !!

So I'll see next August how it'll work during my holidays !!! Enjoy

PS: who'd any measures with 3.5 - 10 - 14 or 18 MHz additional resonators (7 MHz whip substitutes)??

JDEVARIE Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2004 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Good so far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna back in March to celebrate getting my tech ticket. I mounted it to my truck about 6 1/2 feet high using a diamond K-400 mount. It has been there since new and the only complaint is that the allen screws supplied with the antenna come loose. I replaced them with allen set screws and so far no problem (3months or so). I am very happy with it. Even tough I mounted it on the passenger side of my truck and I keep hitting branches with it I have not seen any of the problems posted before. I have not tuned it yet to any HF band but above 30Mhz it works very well. It makes my yaesu FT-817ND shine with only 5w on 2m and 70cm. Overall it has served me well and it is still going strong.

K1JN Rating: 1/5 Mar 31, 2004 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Mechanical nightmare.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Looks good on paper. Bought and installed one and the first thing that happened is the set screws contstantly vibrated loose. After losing a couple, I bought some replacements (try and find 3mm x 3mm set screws), removed them all, coated them with lock tite and that helped. The whip moving around loosened the coil in the housing just like the other review. I am trying to obtain a replacement from NGC. The bottom line is don't even think of installing this antenna without guying it.

W1SCB Rating: 2/5 Jun 16, 2003 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Until failure  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one about 1 month ago, took my time to create a great mount for it, got it mounted and hooked up to an LDG RT11 autotuner and comet splitter to a 706. Loved it, they all worked very well for about 5 days. Then the coil came unglued, separated and it began to move around a little too much for comfort. Exchanged and the same thing happened 2days later to the new one, exchanged today for the Comet UHV6, fingers crossed it'll last better. Both NCG and my dealer were helpful and apologetic.