Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-730 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-730
ICOM IC-730 Reviews: 62 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $275.00
Description: The First Great Mobile HF Rig!
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic730.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-730.

KB1PFL Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2017 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Easy to operate mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one of these a couple of years ago after my ft-857 got hit.got this from HRO in california used.I have had now for more than 24 mounths and must say The fun factor went up about 100% over the yeasu no menus to worry about.
I'm currently using it mobile with a yeasu screw driver antenna it seems to work great this way! this is a keeper.73' Jim KB1PFL

K4CWQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2017 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Great buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great rig for the price, can be bought used for $200-300. Great buy for new hams, as back up or for poor hams, like myself, on limited income and little money for hobby It has WARC bands, noise blanker, processor, easy to use, with no menus. Other shortcomings, mentioned by others, don't bother me, such as no 160 meters, no FM, no general coverage, few memories. Never use those features..
Would have rated 5 but for the following shortcomings, especially when compared with my old Ten Tecs that I usually operate.

1. No QSK cw. Although I rarely do cw, I like QSK, as on Ten Tec. CW on 730 semi-break in, not easy to use.
2. Several controls under top, lift-up hatch, hard to access and too small to easily use. SWR check requires flipping tiny switch under hatch.
3. SWR check too complex. No easy way to generate cw signal to check.I instead use shorted key jack plug, flip mode to cw, key mike, use SWR meter on antenna tuner.
4. Noisy, compared to my Ten Tecs.
5. No aux jacks to provide 12 volts for accessories.
6. Relays bad for sticking. Many hams report sticking preamp relay problems. Mine OK, but the TX/RX relay sometimes sticks, causing receive sensitivity to be low. I either hit the PTT switch several times or slap the case side and it comes back. Understand relay can be cleaned or new one available from RF Parts.
All said, though, it's a nice solid rig, fun to operate, good audio reports, smooth and stable tuning. Would buy again. Good bargain compared with other older, solid state, WARC-compatible radios.

SV1AGK Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2017 12:10 Send this review to a friend
sv1agk  Time owned: more than 12 months
the best noise blanker ever

W4KYR Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2016 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Good basic reliable radio perfect for new hams  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good basic reliable radio perfect for new hams

Cons

No General Receive.
No FM.
No 160 Meter band.
Preamp Relay is a known failure point.
Noise Blanker not all that effective.

Pros

Straight forward design
Easy To Operate
No Complicated Menu's
No need to keep referring to a manual to operate
Cost: You should be able to pick this up for under $300.

Supposedly there is mod to bypass the preamp relay. If this isn't fixed and you press in the preamp switch. It will sound like the radio is deaf. The replacement preamp relay is said to be no longer available. So you'd either have to bypass the relay with a mod or take it out and clean it.

Be aware that since this an older radio, there are no modern conveniences like DSP or Digital Interfaces. If those are important to you, spend a bit more and get a good used IC-718. If all you plan to do is to just operate CW and SSB, you can work the world with this radio.

Overall this is a good solid radio. I owned this since 1993, I think I paid $400. This radio is perfect for first time hams if their budget is $300 or under. However, if you can spend more, get the IC-718 instead.

W7LPN Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2016 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first HF rig I inherited from a friends father. For a Pre-RF Revolution radio it's fantastic. Noise reduction is not bad considering. I'm going to put in a horizontal loop to improve that further. It has been very rugged & tolerated much from me for 10+ years. 200 watts pep is quite punchy & folks usually hear me just fine, even some of those 600 watt stations which are so loud yet they can hear almost no-one...lol. I have no other older radios to do direct comparison so my experience with it has been pleasant yet anecdotal. Sound quality & signal reports are always positive as they relate to the conditions available. I's like an Up-Dwn Mic, but cannot find one. May have to have an aftermarket one wired for me, or by a desk mic.

VE7FWP Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2015 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Still my favourite   Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this unit 2nd hand in early 90's for $600. My first modern (lol) hf transciever after Eico 7 drifty 3 and HW 101 ( which I still have) . I have used it off and on ever since. Set aside few years ago when I bought Icom 7000. Couple months ago decided to do side by side sound comparison. The 730 is back to my main radio. Simple operation, fantastic audio and crystal filtering. Just all in all a joy to use. The 7000 has some really handy golly gosh gee wiz features (DSP being one) but you get tired of menu systems. I'm getting to old to remember pages of instructions and sub menus..life is too short. I also have A Yaesu 857 which I use for a mobile in my van and/or motorhome. I enjoy it and works well ...but...again..small controls and smaller buttons and smaller displays.Perfect as a mobile for doing everything from 160 to 440 but price to be paid for compactness. Back to basics is best for this cat.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Quiet & Sensitive Receiver will Amaze  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned the IC-730 about 14 years ago (see N8FVJ review). After taking a hiatus from ham radio since 2002, I am retired now and will be getting a new license in two weeks. Time to assemble a new ham shack.

One among a few transceivers that really stood out was the Icom IC-730. I also liked the Ten Tec Omni V & Kenwood TS-950SD.

I found a near new condition IC-730 with the FL-30 band pass filter & PS-15 and bought it immediately. I had an Icom IC-728 left over from years ago, but this IC-730 has a better receiver- more quiet I.F. section & audio stage.

I am amazed just how sensitive and quiet the IC-730 receiver side performs. And, great for monitoring AM as this receiver handily outperforms my boat anchor BC-348 with weak signals on 75 meters.

If you can find a clean example, this may be the best bargain in used gear and these Icom IC-730 transceivers rarely fail after all these years.

KD0PBO Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2014 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Solid all around rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this off of a local Ham that bought it new back in the 80's. It is my first HF band rig and so far I love it. Although mine has the burned out preamp relay, this rig still kicks out the rf with no issues. I even have this one set up to work digital PSK with a VOX controlled interface it seldom misses a beat. As far as base radio's go, this guy is small in size. Remember it was originally sold as a "mobile" rig. But I like the small size because if I am traveling, it will be an easy rig to schlep along for the ride. Variable RF power is nice, and mine on the lowest power runs about 8 watts SSB and around 10w on AM/CW. A good power out for hooking up to a battery pack for portable operations. Good receiver and good TX audio with the stock mic. If you can find one local for around $200, get it!

K4BDN Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2014 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Very Solid Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for over a year now and it is a very good no frills HF rig. I use it with both a Fan Dipole for 80m, 40m, 20m and a NA4RR Broad Band HexBeam for my antennas.

I have the complete 1980's setup. IC-PS10 power supply, SM-5 microphone, and the IC-SP3 external speaker. Every button, switch, and feature works perfectly, even the preamp. I have installed the FL-30 SSB filter, and IC-EX203 CW RX Audio Filter. If I can hear them I can work them. No it does not have a general coverage receiver, but it does have 2 VFOs for working split, which is does very well.

With this radio I have work all the US States, and all 7 continents with good signal reports. It performs very well on PSK31, and I even made one RTTY contact with it.

While it does not interface with a PC like most newer rigs do, it will with a sound card interface of your choice work most common digital modes with ease.

All in all this is a very reliable and easy to operate radio and for the price you can not go wrong.

LU9WFN Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 07:04 Send this review to a friend
A rock!  Time owned: more than 12 months
4 not general coverage receiver, give 5, thoroughbred amateur!