Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-730 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-730
ICOM IC-730 Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $275.00
Description: The First Great Mobile HF Rig!
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic730.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-730.

SONY6060 Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Quiet & Sensitive Receiver will Amaze  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned the IC-730 about 14 years ago (see N8FVJ review). After taking a hiatus from ham radio since 2002, I am retired now and will be getting a new license in two weeks. Time to assemble a new ham shack.

One among a few transceivers that really stood out was the Icom IC-730. I also liked the Ten Tec Omni V & Kenwood TS-950SD.

I found a near new condition IC-730 with the FL-30 band pass filter & PS-15 and bought it immediately. I had an Icom IC-728 left over from years ago, but this IC-730 has a better receiver- more quiet I.F. section & audio stage.

I am amazed just how sensitive and quiet the IC-730 receiver side performs. And, great for monitoring AM as this receiver handily outperforms my boat anchor BC-348 with weak signals on 75 meters.

If you can find a clean example, this may be the best bargain in used gear and these Icom IC-730 transceivers rarely fail after all these years.

KD0PBO Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2014 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Solid all around rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this off of a local Ham that bought it new back in the 80's. It is my first HF band rig and so far I love it. Although mine has the burned out preamp relay, this rig still kicks out the rf with no issues. I even have this one set up to work digital PSK with a VOX controlled interface it seldom misses a beat. As far as base radio's go, this guy is small in size. Remember it was originally sold as a "mobile" rig. But I like the small size because if I am traveling, it will be an easy rig to schlep along for the ride. Variable RF power is nice, and mine on the lowest power runs about 8 watts SSB and around 10w on AM/CW. A good power out for hooking up to a battery pack for portable operations. Good receiver and good TX audio with the stock mic. If you can find one local for around $200, get it!

K4BDN Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2014 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Very Solid Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for over a year now and it is a very good no frills HF rig. I use it with both a Fan Dipole for 80m, 40m, 20m and a NA4RR Broad Band HexBeam for my antennas.

I have the complete 1980's setup. IC-PS10 power supply, SM-5 microphone, and the IC-SP3 external speaker. Every button, switch, and feature works perfectly, even the preamp. I have installed the FL-30 SSB filter, and IC-EX203 CW RX Audio Filter. If I can hear them I can work them. No it does not have a general coverage receiver, but it does have 2 VFOs for working split, which is does very well.

With this radio I have work all the US States, and all 7 continents with good signal reports. It performs very well on PSK31, and I even made one RTTY contact with it.

While it does not interface with a PC like most newer rigs do, it will with a sound card interface of your choice work most common digital modes with ease.

All in all this is a very reliable and easy to operate radio and for the price you can not go wrong.

LU9WFN Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 07:04 Send this review to a friend
A rock!  Time owned: more than 12 months
4 not general coverage receiver, give 5, thoroughbred amateur!

KK4CZT Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2013 10:34 Send this review to a friend
wonderful   Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought it for five dollars at Goodwill sent it to Scott for a tune up, turned out to be one of the best radios that I have had. If you can find one jump on it.

W0AVM Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Great 80's Icom HF Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased this and an Icom EM-51 mic with amp circuit added online from a repair shop in the beginning of December of 2011 while I was searching round for a basic solid state HF rig to get me back on the air and knowing the reputation of this radio and it's in's and out's.

Of the HF rig's I've had in my ownership, the Omni D I had had comparable receive and enjoyable audio. Can't really compare this to new rigs like the 857D I had, the features, while nice were more than I needed and the audio wasn't as rich compared to rigs like these.

A few things one should know about the IC-730:
Most of the time low receive is caused by RL1 on the RF Unit board having dirty contacts and is easily remedied thanks to information provided by Scott Malcom, KA7MEF, via his website.

The other is an issue with intermittent transmit caused by poor soldering of the pins on J3 on the same RF Unit board that RL1 resides.
When I had the board out to perform the low receive remedy I went ahead and checked the solder points on the J3 position and found them to be poorly done and touched up other points that looked to be in the same condition.

Since doing this the radio has been a solid performer both in my shack and in my car for mobile operation and with proper care should be able to enjoy it for years to come as I have no plans to ever get rid of one of the best radios I've come to own.

Scott
WAVM

WB7SDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 13:57 Send this review to a friend
2nd IC-730 owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I, too, got rid of my Icom 730 years ago. I traded my Icom 730, PS-15 power supply, sm5 mike, and mobile mounting bracket for computer gear. What the heck, I wasn't using the rig anyway. I wanted to get some good parts to build a computer for my daughter. Didn't really regret it back then...But... as time went on I really missed that old radio. It was simple enough to use,not too many knobs to get confused with, and always worked fabulously.
And now I have one again. I got a Astron 35 amp supply, a MFJ Super Tuner II, and an Icom 28A. Another ham gave me a 6BTV so I was set. This radio works just as good as the one I had and I've already made a few contacts. I won't be getting rid of this 730 but may add another rig later down the road. Great transceiver.

W6AMR Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2012 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second ICOM IC-730
I had to sell my last ICOM IC-730
I was fortunate to find a experienced used dealer in the eastern United States that had it for sale.
This second radio performed exactly as the first rig.
The rig did not come with a pre-amp microphone. I found a outfit in Georgia that supplies them for $50.00.
I upgraded my old wire antennas and I was back on the air after 3 years.
I received many great audio and signal reports.
Local contacts 300 to 1,000 miles were excellent.
This solid state rig has certainly lived up to its reputation.
W6AMR
Southern California

YB1FWO Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2012 16:42 Send this review to a friend
good old radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio from an auction in Japan, for a price around 100 usd. The receive capability is very good and the audio from the radio also very good. mine is ICOM IC 730S, the power is 10 watt, even low power this morning I worked phillipine 5-7 by only using V dipole 5 mtr high (I live in tokyo). I guess this S type is only available in Japan. There is a problem, the transmit and receive frequency is 700 KHz higher than what the diplay shows. (checked by frequency counter MFJ 259B).I think it is normal since this is old radio and I bought it as junk, I just need to re allign the frequency. if anyone now how to fix it,I really appreciate. Thank you.

SM5SRR Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2011 10:54 Send this review to a friend
STILL A GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my first IC-730 back in 1987 and had it until 1992 when I sold it to a ham in CA. It was a great little radio which performed very well. I recently purchased one for my son and we got it up and running today together with an R5 antenna. We worked JA on 10, 15 and 20m without a problem. I had forgotten how easy this rig is to operate. Sure, it does not have all the gadgets of more modern radios but it definitely is a radio which should not be ignored. For a beginner on a low budget: a great buy!