Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-730 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-730
ICOM IC-730 Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $275.00
Description: The First Great Mobile HF Rig!
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic730.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-730.

N1CKX Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2010 10:07 Send this review to a friend
SOLID  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the IC-730 for at least 25 years. It spent 20+ of those years banging around in my car as a mobile rig. I built a home brew mobile mount that put the radio on the transmission hump in my Grand Marquis and my Buick and my Olds which put the radio at about 45 degrees and right at my fingertips when I had the center arm rest down.
After 25 years mobile over bumps, dust, twice rear ended by dumb tailgaters and baking in the sun the radio still works fine.
Did have to clean the contacts on the T/R Relay twice, and have removed the front panel several times to clean out dust/dirt and give the rig a cleanup as the mobile environment is pretty rough on a rig.
By the way, this isnt like some cheap Kenwood rig with plastic front panels that break. This thing is Cast Aluminum and nearly indestructible.
I replaced it with an IC-706mkIIg ONLY because the new rig gave me 2meters, 440 and six meters along with HF. The 706 has given good service, but is going to become a 6 meter portable rig and I plan to put the old 730 back into my latest Grand Marquis as it still looks good after all these years.
Yes, it only covers ham bands on receive. Who cares? Yes it only has one memory. I have never used more than one on HF. EVER!!!
If you want a great backup rig find one and buy it.

VA3UMA Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2010 15:11 Send this review to a friend
The best in its class  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 730 for free as a tech-special from an OT who had finally written-off this rig as beyond repairs. PLL alignment had gone haywire and it appears to me that whoever attempted repairs on this earlier, must have got misled into (mis)aligning the remaining boards. Most of the tuning slugs were either broken/stuck or moving freely.
Anyways, long story short, the rig is now working - both TX and RX, and on all the bands. I was so impressed by the rigs performance, I purchased an other 730 in the Whitby hamfest last year. And, this unit is in mint condition with the optional filters installed.
ICOM IC-730's receiver design is done "by the book". Top grade RX specs for it's size and $ value.
More info on the actual repairs I did on the tech-special can be seen in the IC-730 Yahoo groups.

DH4SC Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the Icom IC-730 for several months now and I am extremely surprised - this radio kicks a** !!!!
I have had a big number of radios, new DSP Units, and older classic radios (FT-900, FT-950, IC-728, IC-746 etc.) but I must say that my IC-730 knocks out almost every other radio. The receiver is superb, it gets the signals out of QRM like no other, very sensitive, selective, smooth, nice to listen to. No DSP can do it like that!! I use the CW-filter and the extra SSB-filter for the pass-band-tuning option.
My IC-730 had to be re-alligned after all this years of operation and the alingnment was tricky and took some time but the result is amazing.

The radio is very easy to use and offers all you need for simple HF fun.
I recommend this radio to every ham whos looking for a simple, reliable high performance radio without bells and whistles and with no need of 160m band. Buy one - if you can get one!!!

WPXM985 Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2009 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Good Solid State Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Icom IC-730 has been for me a perfect radio.
The newer HF rigs have too many bells and whistles to just TX & RX.
I have worked stations all over the world on 100 watts.
The receive is 10 out of 10.
I get nothing but good audio reports, especially when it comes to voice clarity.
I wonder what this rig could accomplish when the sun spot cycle comes back up?
The guts of this rig look like a Rolex Watch.
For $300 or less you can buy two.
I have got my enjoyment 100 times over with this rig.

YY1MFF Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2009 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really enjoy my Icom 730 as my second radio, it is an funny one ,and easy radio to operate. It account with a single memory for each band and the oscillating vfo is very stable, besides his receive stage that is clear and extraordinary (quadruple conversion).the Nb control works properly and the Tx is clean and powerful.

yy1mff - Victor

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2008 22:37 Send this review to a friend
Great "old" radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great "starter" HF rig, just upgrded to Genaral and wanted to get "on the air" on HF freqs. Hooked up a Buxcomm Windom antenna in the rafter of my garage roof and am talking all over the east coast.. granted it will be much better whenI hang the antenna in the "trees"....But for the $$ - a wonderful old radio...

KC8ZEV Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2008 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Still kicks butt after all these years!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The folks at Icom who built this rig are probably long retired, but this 730 is certainly not!! Very simple to operate, just what you need, save the bling for the 7800. Can't say enough for the receive on this old girl. No wideband receive on this model so no "barndoor front end syndrome" common with many rigs today. Always get good reports with the stock mic. Transmit is solid and this rig NEVER get hot. This radio is an outstanding choice for the new and seasoned amateur. There is something for everyone. Gotta stick with Icom mics, but beyond that, no complaints. Very affordable on the used market, if you see one, grab it. Still very service friendly, so don't let its age scare you away. Many of these rigs are still in use today and lots of operational/service data is easily obtainable on the Internet. If you can't have fun with this rig, you are doing something wrong.

OE5NIP Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2008 13:44 Send this review to a friend
very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi!

This is my first Rig, and i can say its ok and simple.

Its an old one, but for the first QSO on the frequency ok.

KB3LAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2008 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Its definitely not a bad rig for it being outdated.
It has a great receiver and great transmit audio.
Also they are cheap and easy to come by.
They are small and light so they are very good for portable use.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced easy to run rig this is a great choice. Would make a suitable first HF rig or back up rig or even an nice rig to put in the garage or so on.

The best 200$ investment Iv made since i have got in this hobby. This radio now resides with a new ham in my family and he loves it to.

KA4DQJ Rating: 3/5 Aug 29, 2007 10:57 Send this review to a friend
It's Old, It Works.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up an IC-730 recently on eBay for $250.00. The ad stated "great shape", but also presented the item "as is". eBay is always a risk, and I don't get too excited about wins until I get the item in hand.

Upon arrival, the IC-730 possessed all the demons associated with that model. The J2/J3 connectors needed to be resoldered to fix an intermittent connection that was obvious when jarring the transceiver, and the preamp relay had failed. In addition, the meter light bulb had burned out.

I fixed everything up in short order. As for the infamous RL1 relay, I simply cleaned it with electronic cleaner. It has worked flawlessly for over a week now. I want to eventually replace the preamp relay, but not until I perform the factory update that prevents futher relay failures, especially since I hear that Icom charges the price of your firstborn for a replacement relay. I've emailed Icom about this update since I can't find it anywhere on the Internet.

The 730 works, with some quirks. The noise blanker works, but has the unfortunate side effect of distorting strong signals. On transmit, the ALC meter never quite gets into the "overdriven" zone regardless of drive settings, so it's difficult to set the mic drive. And like many other solid state final rigs, the 730 balks at loading into any antenna that isn't perfectly resonate... I find myself using the antenna tuner with the 730 at times I'd never consider with my tube final Kenwoods.

The owner of the 730 is pretty much stuck with Icom mics, since those mics contain the necessary voice preamp for the voice drive to work properly. That perfectly performing, high-dollar mic that you've used on the last 5 rigs just might not hack it on the Icom.

Then, there's the tinny sounding audio of a small rig that I don't have with my older, larger rigs. I understand that this is probably just me, but my Kenwoods are much more pleasant to listen to than the Icom.

But, the Icom gets the job done. I have no major complaints, it's just that I have no major laurels to heap on the little rig either. I'll keep it until something better comes along, or someone offers me a price I can't refuse. ;)