Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-730 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-730
ICOM IC-730 Reviews: 61 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $275.00
Description: The First Great Mobile HF Rig!
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic730.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-730.

W0AVM Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Great 80's Icom HF Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased this and an Icom EM-51 mic with amp circuit added online from a repair shop in the beginning of December of 2011 while I was searching round for a basic solid state HF rig to get me back on the air and knowing the reputation of this radio and it's in's and out's.

Of the HF rig's I've had in my ownership, the Omni D I had had comparable receive and enjoyable audio. Can't really compare this to new rigs like the 857D I had, the features, while nice were more than I needed and the audio wasn't as rich compared to rigs like these.

A few things one should know about the IC-730:
Most of the time low receive is caused by RL1 on the RF Unit board having dirty contacts and is easily remedied thanks to information provided by Scott Malcom, KA7MEF, via his website.

The other is an issue with intermittent transmit caused by poor soldering of the pins on J3 on the same RF Unit board that RL1 resides.
When I had the board out to perform the low receive remedy I went ahead and checked the solder points on the J3 position and found them to be poorly done and touched up other points that looked to be in the same condition.

Since doing this the radio has been a solid performer both in my shack and in my car for mobile operation and with proper care should be able to enjoy it for years to come as I have no plans to ever get rid of one of the best radios I've come to own.

Scott
WAVM

WB7SDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 13:57 Send this review to a friend
2nd IC-730 owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I, too, got rid of my Icom 730 years ago. I traded my Icom 730, PS-15 power supply, sm5 mike, and mobile mounting bracket for computer gear. What the heck, I wasn't using the rig anyway. I wanted to get some good parts to build a computer for my daughter. Didn't really regret it back then...But... as time went on I really missed that old radio. It was simple enough to use,not too many knobs to get confused with, and always worked fabulously.
And now I have one again. I got a Astron 35 amp supply, a MFJ Super Tuner II, and an Icom 28A. Another ham gave me a 6BTV so I was set. This radio works just as good as the one I had and I've already made a few contacts. I won't be getting rid of this 730 but may add another rig later down the road. Great transceiver.

W6AMR Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2012 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second ICOM IC-730
I had to sell my last ICOM IC-730
I was fortunate to find a experienced used dealer in the eastern United States that had it for sale.
This second radio performed exactly as the first rig.
The rig did not come with a pre-amp microphone. I found a outfit in Georgia that supplies them for $50.00.
I upgraded my old wire antennas and I was back on the air after 3 years.
I received many great audio and signal reports.
Local contacts 300 to 1,000 miles were excellent.
This solid state rig has certainly lived up to its reputation.
W6AMR
Southern California

YB1FWO Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2012 16:42 Send this review to a friend
good old radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio from an auction in Japan, for a price around 100 usd. The receive capability is very good and the audio from the radio also very good. mine is ICOM IC 730S, the power is 10 watt, even low power this morning I worked phillipine 5-7 by only using V dipole 5 mtr high (I live in tokyo). I guess this S type is only available in Japan. There is a problem, the transmit and receive frequency is 700 KHz higher than what the diplay shows. (checked by frequency counter MFJ 259B).I think it is normal since this is old radio and I bought it as junk, I just need to re allign the frequency. if anyone now how to fix it,I really appreciate. Thank you.

SM5SRR Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2011 10:54 Send this review to a friend
STILL A GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my first IC-730 back in 1987 and had it until 1992 when I sold it to a ham in CA. It was a great little radio which performed very well. I recently purchased one for my son and we got it up and running today together with an R5 antenna. We worked JA on 10, 15 and 20m without a problem. I had forgotten how easy this rig is to operate. Sure, it does not have all the gadgets of more modern radios but it definitely is a radio which should not be ignored. For a beginner on a low budget: a great buy!

N1CKX Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2010 10:07 Send this review to a friend
SOLID  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the IC-730 for at least 25 years. It spent 20+ of those years banging around in my car as a mobile rig. I built a home brew mobile mount that put the radio on the transmission hump in my Grand Marquis and my Buick and my Olds which put the radio at about 45 degrees and right at my fingertips when I had the center arm rest down.
After 25 years mobile over bumps, dust, twice rear ended by dumb tailgaters and baking in the sun the radio still works fine.
Did have to clean the contacts on the T/R Relay twice, and have removed the front panel several times to clean out dust/dirt and give the rig a cleanup as the mobile environment is pretty rough on a rig.
By the way, this isnt like some cheap Kenwood rig with plastic front panels that break. This thing is Cast Aluminum and nearly indestructible.
I replaced it with an IC-706mkIIg ONLY because the new rig gave me 2meters, 440 and six meters along with HF. The 706 has given good service, but is going to become a 6 meter portable rig and I plan to put the old 730 back into my latest Grand Marquis as it still looks good after all these years.
Yes, it only covers ham bands on receive. Who cares? Yes it only has one memory. I have never used more than one on HF. EVER!!!
If you want a great backup rig find one and buy it.

VA3UMA Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2010 15:11 Send this review to a friend
The best in its class  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 730 for free as a tech-special from an OT who had finally written-off this rig as beyond repairs. PLL alignment had gone haywire and it appears to me that whoever attempted repairs on this earlier, must have got misled into (mis)aligning the remaining boards. Most of the tuning slugs were either broken/stuck or moving freely.
Anyways, long story short, the rig is now working - both TX and RX, and on all the bands. I was so impressed by the rigs performance, I purchased an other 730 in the Whitby hamfest last year. And, this unit is in mint condition with the optional filters installed.
ICOM IC-730's receiver design is done "by the book". Top grade RX specs for it's size and $ value.
More info on the actual repairs I did on the tech-special can be seen in the IC-730 Yahoo groups.

DH4SC Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the Icom IC-730 for several months now and I am extremely surprised - this radio kicks a** !!!!
I have had a big number of radios, new DSP Units, and older classic radios (FT-900, FT-950, IC-728, IC-746 etc.) but I must say that my IC-730 knocks out almost every other radio. The receiver is superb, it gets the signals out of QRM like no other, very sensitive, selective, smooth, nice to listen to. No DSP can do it like that!! I use the CW-filter and the extra SSB-filter for the pass-band-tuning option.
My IC-730 had to be re-alligned after all this years of operation and the alingnment was tricky and took some time but the result is amazing.

The radio is very easy to use and offers all you need for simple HF fun.
I recommend this radio to every ham whos looking for a simple, reliable high performance radio without bells and whistles and with no need of 160m band. Buy one - if you can get one!!!

WPXM985 Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2009 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Good Solid State Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Icom IC-730 has been for me a perfect radio.
The newer HF rigs have too many bells and whistles to just TX & RX.
I have worked stations all over the world on 100 watts.
The receive is 10 out of 10.
I get nothing but good audio reports, especially when it comes to voice clarity.
I wonder what this rig could accomplish when the sun spot cycle comes back up?
The guts of this rig look like a Rolex Watch.
For $300 or less you can buy two.
I have got my enjoyment 100 times over with this rig.

YY1MFF Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2009 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really enjoy my Icom 730 as my second radio, it is an funny one ,and easy radio to operate. It account with a single memory for each band and the oscillating vfo is very stable, besides his receive stage that is clear and extraordinary (quadruple conversion).the Nb control works properly and the Tx is clean and powerful.

yy1mff - Victor