Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Workman UVS-300 Help

Reviews Summary for Workman UVS-300
Workman UVS-300 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $88.00
Description: 2mtr/70cm 8.3/11.7 db Vertical

You can write your own review of the Workman UVS-300.

W8FUH Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Antenna!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't be deceived by some of the poor reviews here, this antenna is everything you could hope for in a dual band vertical.
The assembly is a snap, they provide all the needed parts, including stainless steel hardware. I took my time and from beginning to end, it probably took me an hour and a half all by myself. In fact, soldering on a new PL-259 was one of the most time consuming tasks.
I read the reviews here on the Workman, the Opek and the others that are all essentially re-packages of the same antenna (they are, trust me). Based on the impressive performance that people were getting, I decided to give it a shot. I could have bought a Comet or Diamond, but honestly, why spend more money for a product that isn't any better quality, and actually has worse performance numbers?
For me the test would be hitting the only regional D-Star repeater in my area. I had a home brew copper dipole that worked great for local contacts and local repeaters, but couldn't touch the D-Star repeater that is about 45 miles away. NO PROBLEM for the Workman!! This antenna is amazing, and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Do your research, take your time putting it up and enjoy taking your wife (or hubby) out to dinner with the extra money that's still in your pocket because you didn't waste it on a more expensive antenna that has worse performance.

I negotiated mine at my clubs swap and shop for $80, so if you can find one around and get it for somewhere around that price, you'll be happy you did!

KC0SWG Rating: 2/5 Jul 30, 2013 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Not Happy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Was a good antenna until water got into it. Before I put it up, I sealed the connections where the fiberglass goes together. It appears that water gets in somehow at the bottom of the antenna. Found out it was full of water when my SWR's went through the roof. If you buy one seal it up, everywhere. Other than that it performed very well on the 2m band, not so hot on 70cm.

K6FUZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2012 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Still a 5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this antenna since 2004 with great results. It was down at sea level before and I took it down, packed it, moved it, and now it's in a new location.

It is a solid performer on both bands and has now survived two harsh winters at 5000 ft elevation on the top of a 33' building where winds are often high and gusty and there seems to be no shortage of snow.

I would buy and use these antennas anytime. Fortunately I've only needed one!

N7LT Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2011 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Tough, low-cost antenna that works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two at two different locations over the last 10 years. The first one was hit by lightning. Melted to the second 64 turn coil, the rest survived! The second antenna at my new QTH. Has been up for almost 8 years now and has been down only once for inspection. I reinforce mine by soldering all the joints within the antenna and then adding extra foam (3X the amount of original) to keep the #10 wire inside from banging around inside. The antenna has survived 80+ MPH winds, 50+ MPH every month!!! I'm loosing shingles on my roof but the Workman UVS-300 stays put! Points a touch to the South East from the wind but still working GREAT!

I did get one that would not tune within the Amateur VHF band, after a number of phone calls, they replaced it. Make sure you test yours right away with an analizer, then harden it to withstand the weather. Liquid tape is cheap wand works well! Wrap joints with black tape, then liquid tape and cover again with black tape. Makes it easier to get off for service!

N8MRC Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine up for over a year now. The SWR on 2m and 440 is under a 1.2. I took KC9CUK's advice and sealed AND taped the joints. No problems what so ever, even in snow and sleet, no change in SWR..bottom line...SEAL THEM UP!!!

K7FFN Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2011 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a used UVS-300 several years ago, and it was excellent. I finally went to a beam, however, because I was in a grove of Eucalyptus trees and couoldn't mount the antenna higher than roof level.

Now I live in an area without trees, but also without adequate real estate to guy an antenna. My 10-element 13.2-dB beam and rotator are wind catchers, and the Arizona storms bend the pushup mast over to 30-degrees off the vertical. I started looking for a high-gain vertical with which to replace it.

I found the UVS-300 again from K1CRA in NY, and based upon my prior experience decided to try it again. At just over a hundred bucks including shipping, it's a lot more interesting than a Comet or Diamond.

I compared the S-meter readings with several repeaters at 100-miles distance, and with the UVS-300 mounted at the same level as the beam (but sticking up 17-feet higher) there was an increase of at least 2 S-units for each repeater. Now that I have it up nearly 30-ft (plus 17-ft) they are all reading higher than 10 over S9, which is the highest my meter reads.

I have no UHF equipment currently (though the last UVS-300 was less than 1.5:1 from 440 to 450 with the radial ring set in high position) but I checked the VHF SWR with an MFJ 259B analyzer. Resonance was at 146-mHz at 1.1:1, and the 2:1 bandwidth runs from 142.59 to 149.01. Can't complain about that.

All in all, I certainly cannot complain about the performance, and even unguyed, it isn't nearly the windcatcher my beam and rotator were. I am very pleased.

REMOVE_4YJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2010 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Ant for the $$  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several of these antennas over the past 5 years or so. Every one of them was great-in performance and durability. It is VERY important that you seal up each joint with rubber sealing tape and a coat of Liquid Tape or similar product. I have never had any problems with water retention and they perform EXACTLY the same as the high priced Diamond and Comet versions. You will be very happy with this antenna. I use one on my repeater and works fantastic!

WA4YUR Rating: 0/5 Jun 12, 2010 01:45 Send this review to a friend
do not wast ur money on UV300  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this antenna from Alabama Radio and made the BAD mistake of not checking the antenna resionat freq before I put it in the top of a 100 foot tree. I tookthe word of the manufacturers word it was right. Well I ended up blowing up an amp because of a SWR of 12 to 1 on two meters. After this happened I put an anilizer on the antenna and found that it was resonate at 152.150 Mhz and not anywhere near two meters like the box said. Well I called Charley about it and he called the Workman people. Workman said they would not replace the antenna or pay for the amp to be repaired. I did find out that they done a lot of other people the same way and would not replace the bad antenna. TAKE IT FROM MY MISTAKE OF BUYING A WORKMAN PRODUCT DON'T WAST YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON THIS ANTENNA THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS.I LOST AN EXPENSIVE AMP BECAUSE OF THEIR POOR PRODUCTS. I will NEVER buy anything with WORKMAN name on it EVER.

N0EQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2010 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Install it Correctly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's a 3x 5/8 2m antenna. Nothing magical. Exactly the same as the other Asians. Likely made in the same factory. Works exactly as you'd expect a 3x 5/8 antenna to work. I hear a lot of negatives because "it leaked and I had to apply some tape/caulk/sealant" or "I called the vendor and the only thing they suggested was to apply silicone". Well, for pete's sake, folks, apply some sealer, will ya! Install the thing the way a good, professional installer would do it. Seal the joints, apply anti-seize compound, seal the connectors etc. Don't bad mouth the antenna because the installer did a poor job.

Good gain, low cost, simple to install. Scores pretty darn high in my book.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

KA7WZM Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2010 19:22 Send this review to a friend
A Winner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had two of these antennas, one got damaged in a move, second one is still on the pole. They were and are flat across both bands, and never have had any problems with water or wind. It is a winner, no need to spend big bucks for less.