Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Workman UVS-300 Help

Reviews Summary for Workman UVS-300
Workman UVS-300 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $88.00
Description: 2mtr/70cm 8.3/11.7 db Vertical

You can write your own review of the Workman UVS-300.

KC9CUK Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2009 15:05 Send this review to a friend
update from 2007  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is great, I love reading all of the bashing reviews of this antenna. I have owned all the different brands of the 17ft dual band base antennas diamond, comet, workman, opek and I helped assemble and put up a tram and jetstream version. I am using a comet gp9 on my shop right now and I don't like the plastic joints they use to hold the antenna together but with that said it is also a good performer I just donít like plastic. All of these antennas are fiberglass tubes with copper and coils inside no magic between manufactures like they would like you to believe. I have seen all of them leak water most of the time it is a hair line crack right by one of the joints check your antenna real close when you get it. I also tape about 1 inch before the joints and go over the joint and 1 inch past and go back up again so water canít get behind the tape. I have the opek/workman uvs-300 and they are the exact same antenna it has been up on the tower at 123ft for over a year before that is was at 83ft and I have had no issues with it at all via 2m or 70m. I have never had any water issues in any of the brands at all but I have always taped my joints. I have never had swr problems and two that I was told had swr problems on 70cm didnít the meters they were using showed high on 70cm the antenna analyzer showed they were fine (for all you meter watchers). I have seen a lot of people cross thread the joints you need two people and be careful if it is hard to turn stop and start over. I would also like to address the mounting hardware some of the antennas are the same some are slightly different but I have seen two of the manufactures change them around they all work and none of them are commercial grade so it doesnít matter. This is a great antenna for the money and is just as good as all the rest in my opinion but I also have worked with them all and I bet most canít say the same. You can check out a youtube video I made of one of the uvs-300 I put up just search my call sign.

N5XES Rating: 3/5 Apr 13, 2009 11:20 Send this review to a friend
yes it has a water ingress problem!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My experience with this antenna is from a professional standpoint as I have found this water ingress problem is associated with all the antennas of this design whether it be Comet, Diamond, Workman,Jetstream and Palmetto and a few other non-descript versions and knock offs. the problem lies in the single mounting hole/bolt location that is used on the stand-off tube that the antenna slides down into. I recently had to replace a UVS-300 Workman antenna and found that when I removed the single bolt to faciltate disconnecting the coax, water immediately ran out of the mounting hole. It wasn't much, but it was enough to indicate a problem. If you look into the mounting hole, you will see the center conductor/pin of the antenna where the coax connector is joined to the base. on most versions of this mounting configuration, the water is ingressing past the lock washer and threads of the mounting bolt!! Putting grease alone, on the threads doesn't stop the water. I have found that by wrapping this point with electrical tape will solve this problem. Do not be stingy with the tape. Using self-vulcanizing splicing tape, like the power and phone companies use is even better. A short piece of Heat-Shrink tubing, one that has the self flooding material/glue inside will work well also! I have experimented with different methods of sealing and found that the Heat-Shrink is best. A combination of taping and liquid tape is tied for second place with basic taping running third. I do not recommend using Scotch-Coat as it does breakdown with exposure to the elements as it dries out with time and loses it's ability to repel water if left uncovered. if you feel you must use Scotch-Coat, please wrap it with tape as the finale'!!! Also , use a good anti-oxidizing grease or compund on the threads of the coax connector and center pin. Non-conductive silicon ignition grease works best on the center pins of the coax conn. For the coax connector threads, I try to use any one of the following: Pene-Trox, Oxy-gard, No-Ox, Never-Sieze - nickel and/or copper based, depending on the type of metals involved or any other brand of anti-siezing compound. The compounds may also be used on the mounting hardware, with a preference ot nickel anti-sieze on all stainless steel and aluminum hardware!!!

Any how, this is what I have experimented with and it does seem to work!! As for the tunablity of the UVS-300, I have found it to be most resonant on the low end of the 2m band and above the 70cm band. I performed this check by using a dual band radio capable of going out of band (CAP/MARS mod). Tuning the Ground Plane radials seem only to affect the 70cm portion, yet their instructions say it is for adjusting the 2m portion. Your results may vary from this, but mine didn't. I used a Bird 43 as my meter standard and also used the Radio Shack 2m/70cm dual band swr/wattmeter for comparison. Results were the same!! As with anything you do, read the instructions, what few there may be and take a few of the extra steps that I have discussed here and hopefully, you will see decent results. As mentioned in other reviews and postings, you get what you pay for. if you bought it cheap, odds are, you will have a few problems as the trade-off, so take your time and research it! The UVS-300, I have reviewed here is back in service and doing well. at a later date, I may try and cut some length off of it and try to finda happy medium between 2m and 70cm. Only time will tell, and I have plenty!!!

Tyrone - N5XES

K9IKE Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2008 07:58 Send this review to a friend
good with issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
early versions used brass fittings. later models use plastic so its a little harder to tighten. use weather proof tape at the fittings
and this antenna will last to compete with the
more expensive models. mine is up 70ft and plays
great!!!!

N2OPJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 1, 2008 18:22 Send this review to a friend
FAIR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked OK but every time it rained the SWR went to the sky then two days later it was OK took the antenna down then took it all apart evrything inside was wet. Let it dry out rebuilt it all same trouble after 2 months it now sits in my cellar doing nothing. DO NOT waste your money!!! WILL NEVER BUY THERE TRASH AGAIN!!!

KE5IHC Rating: 2/5 Jul 30, 2007 17:17 Send this review to a friend
UVS-300  Time owned: more than 12 months
KG6GAN---COAT ALL JOINTS WITH, 3M'S SCOTCHKOTE ELECTRICAL COATING. IT CREATE'S A RUBBER SEAL.

N6LG Rating: 2/5 May 2, 2007 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Great performance when dry  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this antenna new for about $80 (US).
The unit was well packaged and includes a single page diagram for assembly.
I noticed that one copper segment was reversed in it's fiberglass tube - not a big deal. I just pull it out and flipped it around.

The SWR values for 2m and 70cm have been excellent.

The big problem I am having is that after rain storms there appears to be a problem with water entry as the SWR goes through the roof. The SWR clears up after the antenna has had about 8 hours of sunshine here in Texas. The only exterior cable connection is the PL-259 at the antenna base and that was wrapped and sealed. There is an aluminum tube that is used as the mast support and it shrouds the PL-259 connector, but it is not an environmental shield.

Another peculiarity is that the white fiberglass material turns dark grey after the rainstorms and then gradually turns white after the sun hits it. The mast is mounted too high for me to easilly inspect the discoloration yet, but I am wondering if there was supposed to be a waterproof layer on the tubing and that process was skipped during manufacture. If the mast tubing was indeed absorbing water, I assume that could dramatically affect SWR!

This unit is made/engineered in Taiwan and they do not provide any contact information for support in their paperwork. I did find their website using Google : fyi it is www.workmanelectronics.com

I gave them a call and they said they had no reported problems before. They suggested slopping silicon anywhere I suspected there was a leak (thanks guys?!?).

I fully admit that I have to remove the mast and inspect where water is entering / absorbing and I have not had the facilities yet to dismount it.

If anyone else has experienced the same problem, please let me know!

N6SGX Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2006 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
Out of all the antenna's I have had in the past, The UVS 300 has out performed them by far. Actually I had to lower it due to so much interference from stations in Mexico. 200 miles south of me. I was also picking up stations in the high desert who said I was interfering with them. Finnaly I lowered the antenna to 20 ft. and loered my output from my IRLP Node 3967. Havent got a complaint since. And at 5 watts I still reach in and out of Los Angeles, 40 miles!

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2006 21:34 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PREFORMER  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the price you can't beat this antenna. Low swr across both bands. I had mine up 75 feet in all types of weather for 5 years now and still preforms great. Joe KE9K

KD5ZZK Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2006 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Bang For The Buck  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was considering the Comet GP-9 for $180. Then I found this Workman antenna at a hamfest. I disregard most manufacturers advertised dB gain ratings. It has identical phasing: 3 elements on 2 meters and 8 elements on 70cm. At HALF the price for $90! The build quality looked good too.
During the install, I used coax seal on the joints to waterproof them. The performence on 2 meters was much better than the Cushcraft ARX-2B it replaced.

VE2SO Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2006 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Results after 7 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna needs maintenance, all joints should be soldered. Even the lock screw ones should be soldered also.

Otherwise performance is just as good on both bands.