Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | miLog Help

Reviews Summary for miLog
miLog Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $59.00
Description: Announcing miLog V6.2.
The most integrated Logging,
DXing and Contesting Package available
More info: http://www.hamtoys.com/

You can write your own review of the miLog.

W8FQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2007 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Flawless operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the past 6 years I have had experience with 3 major logging programs. They all had features that were nice, but I have found MiLOG to be the best in several areas.

Ease of logging. When you type in a station call, and hit tab, the logbook shows the beam heading, plus all the information in the Buckmaster or the MiLOG on board FCC Database. For me, that is a great feature. The beam heading is a really neat feature, especially if you are not sure exactly where the country or state is located.

Tracking of Contacts. This is really slick. You can see at a glance what, countries, states or grids you need for any entity or state. The colors, which are user programmed lets you know what you have worked, confirmed or need.

LOTW. This really has been a no brainier. I upload my TQ8 files directly to the ARRL website. MiLOG creates the ADIF files for the TQ8 file. This has worked flawlessly. To update the log MiLOG will access and download the confirmation file. Once we activate this file, our log is automatically updated.

Editing of Contacts. This is a real nice feature. Most of my editing is for updating the QSL route or information. Just highlight the contact, select edit and make the changes.

Rig Control. I did have some problems at first, but it was at my end. I was using a couple of cables, that were left over from the other logging software. and there were times, I did not have rig control for our 756PROIII. At Dayton I purchased the West Mountain Rig talker (about 50 bucks) and have had no problems since

WD0M Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2007 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Log/Contest Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been three years since I reviewed this software, and there's been much improvement since then. Larry and his team have really done a masterful job bringing together the features of a general logging program with a contesting program.

I enjoy the daily use of miLog for chasing DX and casual QSOs - the general Band map is a welcomed feature. Those who choose to chase awards will find it to be a great program. Custom logging fields let the user create a log to suit their needs.

Contesting is wonderfully supported, giving you a contest band map to show the stations you need to work. Once the contest is over, cabrillo file generation is supported, and the log can be easily exported to your main station log, should you wish. Serious contesters will enjoy multiple rig/rotor/antenna controls offered by miLog.

Full integration with LOTW export/import, as well as eQSL (I don't use eQSL) makes another attractive feature.

I enjoy the full integration of MMTTY into the program, as well as PSK31. It passes QSO data to the logging program, and supports custom macro operation in both modes.

Larry provides excellent support should questions arise.

Joe WDØM

KG5VK Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2007 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding support for a great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Prior to Milog I have used many styles and types of Logging software
Even rolled my own using Dbase+ awhile back
I settled on use of one commercial version for Daily logging and loved the Windows format of that
I used another for contest logging which requirded INI setup files, but was a powerful program although a bit of a pain to set-up.

Enter MiLog..........
Ease of set-up is an understatement, but feature rich

Designed to use contest modules and seperate contest logs within the software
Contest logs are easily merged to the daily logbook

Rotor support for up to 8 rotor controolers
(only wish I had that many rotatable antennas)

Awesome graphics of Trackers
Trackers show what country, grid etc that you need

True LOTW interfacing that is really really simple to set-up if your already hooked up with LOTW
Not only does Milog send your files in adif form
thru a simple command
It also can be told to download the reports of what you have confirmed from the ARRL LOTW server
and add that data to Milog reports and the Trackers !

Built-in Voice and cw Memory keyer
again without any writing of an ini set-up file

Again if you want One software tool
let's call it a Suite
that does both dialy logging and contesting
is feature rich without needed to be a Computer "geek" take a close look or download the trail version of Milog

Tech support as I said could not be any better they rock !

steve
KG5VK

KA5BQM Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2006 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own three other logging programs. One acts/looks like a dos program. The other two
took some serious reading and practice to finally get them to work. I came across Milog at Dayton this year and was attracted by the various windows that were open and information being provided at the same time. I decided to purchase the product and have no regrets. I was originally concerned that it would be one of those “in your face” type of software programs. I was wrong. You only use what you need or want. I like to chase DX and keep the general logger, DX Cluster and rig control running simultaneously. You can also bring up another item (color code) that will tell you what countries you have work or which ones you need. I gave this program a real workout during The CQWW Phone contest and was very pleased. After the contest it was a piece of cake to send in my logs and to merge the contacts into my daily log. I plan to load the program on a laptop and use it during field day. Exporting and importing files is a big plus. I recently loaded the program onto a new computer and somehow lost my serial number. The response time from Larry was quick. Updates are free for the first year and then something like 20 bucks after that. This program has been very easy to use. I still need to get around to reading the instructions.

KC2LYQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2004 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Log/Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
miLog is a great logging software! It has all the features needed for a general use logbook. The one problem with it is you can't just use the keyboard to enter information. Other than that, great logger! I especially like the color-coded awards tracker feature. Larry's support has been tremendous. There have been a few problems and he has worked hard to resolve them for me. Great job Larry!!!!

N2JF Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2004 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Highly reccommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the program during it's infancy at Dayton last year. The developer told me to use and offer suggestions for improvements. He not only listened, but implimented the suggestions, along with those from everyone else. The result is one of the most comprehensive, easy to use and most versitile programs I've used. (I've tried several---dx4win,logger,etc)
The support is second to none----and I did need it. There were several glitches that did get ironed out.
The logger only seems to be getting better and I plan to renew my registration.

WD0M Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2004 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Program/Support!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the years, I've used several major logging programs, and never was quite fully satisfied with any of them. I recently came across miLog, and decided to give it a try after reading the reviews posted here, and the details on the author's web page. It offers a multi-function approach to logging, providing the casual operator/DXer/contester lots of great features. The log is extremely customizable, offering the user the opportunity to define numerous options that they want to have in their log's details.

The reporting function is excellent, providing detailed reports on modes, DXCC, WPX, IOTA and other options. A great feature for the RTTY enthusiast is that the MMTTY engine functions within miLog. It also includes the RTTY control panel, showing the oscilloscope and RTTY signal for tuning. Connecting to DX clusters is very simple - there are options to connect to as many as 5 different clusters at the same time, and do so automatically at program start. Duplicate spots are eliminated. You can even set it up to page you at your cell phone/e-mail you when a rare and needed DX station that appears on the DX cluster.

Contesting is supported very well. When you enter the contesting mode, you select the particular logging module for that contest. It will generate a log for the contest, which can later be merged into your main log, should you choose. It also generates cabrillo format logs to be sent to the sponsors.

The program also supports two radios, eight rotors, assigns antennas to rotors/radios in combinations selected by the user, and Hamation - the company who wrote the program - offers radio interfaces, band switches and relays that work in conjunction with the program. If you wish, you can set up the program with a LAN to as many as 25 computers. Sounds like the ultimate multi-multi contest program.

A feature I really like is the band map, which shows incoming DX spots in a window, sorted by band and frequency, and custom color codes them to your requirements. Currently, it is a contesting mode only feature, but perhaps the authors would make it available in the casual operating mode if technically possible and enough users request it.

The program also offers built-in CW and voice keyers. A great feature for the contester and casual operator/DXer alike.

Perhaps the best part of this program is the support provided by the authors. As a new user, I stumbled through a few goofs on my part, and each time I inquired, Larry at Hamtoys provided quick, friendly responses and explanations. I discovered a few things that didn't work quite right or that seemed to be an item that could be enhanced and made suggestions to the tech support folks. In many instances, the changes were made immediately, and in one case, they took the time to convert my ADIF log from another porgram so that it would properly reflect the totals within the miLog program and sent it back to me. Can't beat that for service!

This program is fairly new to the market, and it is obvious that the team at miLog want to serve their customers. If you're tired of the other programs from the big names, give the Hamtoy folks a call and try miLog. I look forward to using it in daily operating, DXing, and contesting.

Joe
WD0M

NA6G Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2003 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Best logging software I have found!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I found out about MiLog at the Visalia convention several months ago. Coming from a software company that I managed, I have high expectations from software. Until then I had been using LogWindows and was satisfied with that program. However, after looking at this program at the convention, I bought it immediately. It still had a few things missing that I needed but I was told they would add those things...AND THEY DID! Not like some other companies, the MiLog folks do as they say and do it well.

I have been using the program about 3 months and it does everything that I need. I like an easy to use program and interface that can get data from my call book, interfaces with telnet and communicates well with my radio. This program does that and more. It has a separate contesting program that works great. I tried it during Field Day and the data transferred into my regular logbook with ease and accuracy. It has comprehensive tracking for DXCC, WAS, WPX, Grid, WAZ and IOTA. It has user defined fields to allow the user to keep track of data not normally defined in most other programs. It has an easy yet thorough search function. Reports are complete and easy to run. I know that most people don't backup since it is usually a pain to do, but you can backup your data effortlessly to assure you don't lose data if your computer hicups. If you have an existing program, it should be able to import your data if the other program can export it to a commonly used format. If not, I am sure the folks at MiLog will help you get the data transferred.

There may be some things that are missing from the program, but I sure don't know what they might be. They are continuously adding new functionality to the program. I am using version 6.3 now and I understand that 6.4 is being worked on as I write. Give this program a try. Their customer support is superb!!! If you can't tell, I am very happy with MiLog and would recommend it to everyone. Get it and ENJOY!

-Steve NA6G

W8RED Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2003 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Full Featured for the Money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I saw these folks (husband and wife team) at Dayton two years ago and finally bought the program this year. It was $50 at Dayton and for all of the features included I couldn't complain. They have a full featured demo on their site. I would recommend everyone trying it out. It's not perfect, but at the price it is well worth it. I am running it on WindowsXP Pro without a glich. Nice people too!

Some of the features:
Color codes DX Announcements according to your needs
Connect to your favorite cluster using Packet or Telnet
Send DX spots to your digital pager or cell phone
Easily customized sub-band list (band / mode)
Automatically tracks DXCC / WAS / WAZ / IOTA / WPX for each band/mode
Automatically tracks grid squares for each VHF band
Color coded graphical display of Countries / States / Zones, etc per Band / Mode
Many custom user programmable fields in logbook
Log searches by Call, State, Country, Grid plus any combination of band / mode / custom fields
Lookup calls and print address labels from QRZ, Callbook and Buckmaster (Hamcall) databases
Both CW and Voice Keyers in contest modules
CW Keying on Serial or Parallel ports
Supports paddle inputs for manually sending CW
CW Keying automatically routed to two radios
Band data for both radios on parallel port
Parallel ports usable in all version of Windows including NT4 & 2000
Seamless interface to MMTTY
Easy to edit country and prefix lists
Automatic calculation of heading and distance for countries and grids
One button control of up to 4 rotors
Control of 2 radios
Ethernet control of radios, rotors, antenna switching, etc
Easy, intuitive setup and operation (No .CFG or .DAT files to edit)
Power, easy-to-use rate charting for contest evaluation
Connect up to 25 stations/computers on a local network or via internet connection
See operating frequency and mode of all stations
Send talk messages between stations
Color coded band mapping