Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | TriEx - Tashjian Towers Help

Reviews Summary for TriEx - Tashjian Towers
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $Varies
Description: Tashjian now produces towers under the Triex name after acquiring the TriEx engineering drawings.
More info: http://www.tashtowers.com

You can write your own review of the TriEx - Tashjian Towers.

W2PIR Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2016 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Company, Excellent Tower!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tashjian Towers Review

This review is more than two years in the making, but I wanted to wait in order to present a more complete picture of not just the tower, but the company and people that made it.

During my research, I considered towers not just from Tashjian Towers, but from Heights Tower Systems, and US Towers. Heights Tower Systems, being based in Florida, was going to be too expensive when shipping was added and could not, at that time, quote a wind load capacity according to the ANSI/TIA-222 Rev G specification. And unlike Tashjian Towers, US Tower did not supply a quote with all of the costs related to the installation, despite my explicit request to do so. The choice became clear…

I began the process of purchasing a tower from Tashjian in early 2014. Since I live in Southern California, I asked them if I could come up to their facility and see an actual LM-354HD. As some may know it’s a 54.5 foot heavy duty “crank-up” tower. At that time, I was told they had three in stock and that I was welcome to visit and tour the factory. I was impressed with the owner, Karl Tashjian, who took time out of his day to show me around and answer my questions. I was also impressed with his supporting engineers, fabricators, and sales staff, and of course, I was impressed with the tower structure itself. I drove home after ordering a set of wet-stamped drawings to submit to my city’s building and safety department for approval. Once approved (a story in itself), I placed an order for a motorized version of the tower and we worked out a July delivery date. Tashjian even gave me a free upgrade to a larger (3/4 HP) motor.

Tashjian was right on time, sending Brian, one of his top fabricators down to my QTH to deliver the completed tower. The concrete footer had been curing for 40 days (sounds kinda biblical), the crane had been scheduled, and by the end of a longish day, the tower was set into place.

The process was not without issues and it is here that Tashjian really came though for me. Of the 15 holes used to anchor the tower to the tiltover base, only three were lining up enough to place the bolts. In addition, a slight misalignment between the tower ears and tiltover ears was making it nearly impossible to physically move the tower into place so I could place even those three bolts. Until the issue could be resolved, I had to use heavy duty tie-down straps to assure what I felt was an acceptable level of safety. Soon after communicating with Tashjian about that issue and some other minor issues, Karl again dispatched Brain to resolve them. Brian arrived early in the morning, and by mid-afternoon, Brian had the tower functioning as advertised. The support rendered by Tashjian could not have been better!! A few months later, I installed my SteppIR DB-18, had the final inspection and permit sign-off performed by my city, and I was good to go!

Now into August 2016, two years since installation, the tower remains in top form. With a flip of a switch, and three minutes of time, it goes from 24.5 feet to 58.5 feet and it does so with little more than the hum of the motor. Of course, I have done all the recommended maintenance, and I fully expect this tower last for many, many satisfying years.

If you are thinking of making the commitment of a tower, in my opinion, Tashjian Towers is the only choice to consider.

KC4PX Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2016 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an old TriEx LM470 motorized Crank-up that has been in service near the ocean for 25 years. The lift mechanism and cables were in need of replacement to keep the tower safe. I contacted Tashjian and Norm was extremely helpful in providing all material to refurbish (replace motor, reduction gear and cable drum) this excellent Tower. Tashijian manufactures all replacement parts in house and provides stainless steel cables and brackets/springs needed to restring the lift mechanism. My thank you to Norm

AE7I Rating: 4/5 May 21, 2006 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Tashijian Towers DX-70  Time owned: more than 12 months
I erected my Tashjian Towers Corporation DX-70 tower about a year ago. It is a beefy solid structure and hasn't given me any mechanical problems. I had some inital problems with the electrical aspect of the remote control kit (therefore my initial rating would have been a 4 instead of 5), but as mentioned below, I have since converted it to manual motorized contol which I prefer in my case. I would rate the tower itself with motorized crank-up as a 5.

When I was looking for crank-up towers, many manufacturers couldn't or wouldn't provide engineering data that was acceptible for Washoe County. Karl Tashjian was able to meet my needs in an economical fashion. I wanted a 70 foot tower, but it had to be capable of surviving an 85 mph exposure "C" wind. Karl recommended using the beefier DX-86 tower and leaving out the top section, thereby creating a 70 foot tower capable of supporting 14 square feet of antenna that met the county's requirements. The county had the engineering reviewed by an outside engineer (at their expense) and it came through with flying colors.

Initially I ordered the remote control kit, but eventually converted it to manual control as I prefer to "listen and watch" as the tower goes up in case there are any problems with cable snagging or other mechanical problems. The tower is located close to my house and I don't want to take any chances. If it were out in a field, I might stick with remote control. I leave it up about 90% of the time, but bring it down to at least a full-section-overlap height if a potent storm with high winds is expected.

I have found the tilt over mechanism quite handy for working on my antennas. It isn't always possible to get help and I can tilt it over by myself and work on the antennas from the roof or ground, depending upon direction of tilt.

Karl has always been very helpful during the process, however at times he was bit slow getting back to me, due to his busy commercial business. However, once we connected, he was very friendly and helpful.