Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Hygain TailTwister Help

Reviews Summary for Hygain TailTwister
Hygain TailTwister Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $649.95
Description: 20 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=T-2X

You can write your own review of the Hygain TailTwister.

N7BT Rating: 1/5 Mar 9, 2016 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Horrible Rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
For years they were the best on the market. Inside tower mount turning a 4 element SteppIR. 3 tail Twisters in 6 years. I have one on a TH-7 and it is fine but for anything bigger than that, save your money (and time) and get something that won't disappoint! I replaced it with an Alfa Spid RAK. Twice the torque, no brake to shear and about the same money..A no brainer in my mind.....

KC6RCM Rating: 2/5 Mar 28, 2015 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Overrated, for what it can actually do.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a Hy-Gain T-2X rotor new and it failed twice in as many years. Turning a 10 sq. ft. wind area antenna that weighs 100 pounds, the rotor was mounted within a US HDX-572 tower that also utilizes a thrust bearing for support. The antenna is mounted one foot above the thrust bearing and there were no binding issues with the mast and thrust bearing assembly. I was also versed in the operation of the brake release and engagement procedure of the rotor, but mechanical problems still persisted. Frustrated, I went with an Orion 2800P, which is a more robust product, shares the same bolt pattern as the Hy-Gain and was a simple installation. I have not experienced any issues with the Orion unit in 8 years of service.

WR0F Rating: 1/5 Aug 16, 2014 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Not like the old T2X   Time owned: more than 12 months
Well we have 2 Tail twister rotors 1 that was purchased way back in the late 80's and 1 that was purchased 5-27-2013 .
Well the 1st one keeps on working but the new one quit working right when the warranty ran out .
I put the old one back in the tower as it was the spare .So I give the 80's version a solid 5 stars and the new version MFJ type a solid 1 as it should have lasted a few more years before it needed any repairs.

KI4FJS Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 17:47 Send this review to a friend
excellent when used with right antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquired my T2X used from AF3R and it has turned a 6 element Telrex and a TH7DXX with only one problem in 20 years, and that was to replace the ccw winding. The secret: it is mounted in the base of my tower 3 feet above the ground through a self-devised system of support. The antenna is supported on a 1 1/2" pipe through the top thrust bearing so that all the weight rests on a front wheel bearing from a pick-up truck on a home-brew steel plate 12 feet down from the top, and from there down internal 1 inch pipes run through another steel plate at 20 feet into the rotor sitting on another steel plate. The rotor carries no weight; it only turns the antenna...voila!

WA8MAX Rating: 1/5 Nov 1, 2013 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality components  Time owned: more than 12 months
replaced this rotor every 3 yrs/ so far
this well be the 3rd one- gears stripped out
turning a Mosley Pro 67-C3 no binding found
anytime-one time the Bell was split-I do not
send in for repair anymore-last 1 repaired lasted 7 mos,we hav wind at times 40-50 mph
The antenna is 12 sq ft and is 120lbs.
Will not buy one agn

W9KNI Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2013 22:40 Send this review to a friend
It died - after 25 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two nights ago it quit. Actually it did not quiet die - but it took 3 minutes to move my antenna 100 degrees. But I really needed it to do that so I have no complaint- I got the QSO I wanted.

The rotator was used on three different towers in 3 different states for over 25 years, and never failed me until now. It spent the last 15 years turning a Bencher Skyhawk. During that period it was opened once, when the tower was being replaced, and I took the opportunity to add a quick disconnect kit from CATS, and while I was inside I cleaned and regreased the bearings.

At this point I am pretty sure something in the gear train has failed; I will get the parts and rebuild it. It has proven one of the most reliable pieces of machinery I have ever owned.

In the mean time another Tail Twister has replaced it; one that has been held in reserve for many years.

G3RZP Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2012 22:07 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a T2X up since 1986. Started with a 205BA on top of the tower rotor cage, with a 4 ele interlaced beam for 10 and 15. Went to 4 ele Steppir quite a few years back - must be 6 or more.

Have fitted time delay relays, and a 'boost' to 48 volts for a second to make sure the wedge brake pulls out. Got rid of the terminal strip, put bypass caps on the position indicator pot - running a vertical with beams as top loading burnt it up. Replaced the balls a couple of times as they do corrode, washed it out with WD40 first.

26 years on, still going. I think you have to mount it in a rotor cage, though.

KI0Z Rating: 1/5 Aug 3, 2012 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 10:11 Send this review to a friend
SUPER Heavy Duty ! Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Hygain TH-11 in a high and windy area. MY experance showed that the tailtwisters lasted just over 2 years by a few months,the BIG Yaesu 2800 lasted just under 2 years both times,but the Orian (M2) 2800 lasted over 7.5 years (B4 the latested upgrade MOD's) and was easy to cal when needed. The performance was outstanding. 73 GL & DX

KL7GS Rating: 2/5 Aug 3, 2012 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Not for 4 el SteppIR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even though it is rated by the square feet for a 4 element SteppIR, the T2X can be stripped out in a windy area. My T2X has the break delay board installed. Mine T2X first wore out the rheostat wiper, and MFJ said they were putting all their wipers on new units and did not know when they would have one to sell for a repair part. I got the part from a third party supplier. Then the teeth in the lower housing got stripped out. Another ham 5 miles away has his T2X get stripped out when rotating his 4 element SteppIR. Maybe the whipping action of the SteppIR elements cause more torque than the T2X can handle? Both of us use extending towers, so the towers are down during winds over 35 mph. We get 80+ mph winds every year and over 100 mph every 3 or 4 years coming down off the glaciers here in Alaska. We are both going with Orion rotators.

K1ZJH Rating: 2/5 Mar 25, 2012 12:43 Send this review to a friend
poor design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a tower package from a SK estate several
years ago... the package included a Rohn 25 60'
foldover tower and a TX-2 Tailtwister. I went through
the TailTwister completely. Relubed it, and replaced
the problem-plagued terminal strip with an after-
market kit.
After installation, the rotor indicator became very erratic and this has worsened over the years.
The rotor binds at certain beam headings, and I
have to reverse travel to get her going over the
rough spots.
The IdiomPress EXrotor modification has been a
life saver!!!!!!!! Rate the IdiomPress mod with
five stars. I've used older Ham M rotors and TR-44s
for decades, and the TX-2 was no improvement!