Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Hygain TailTwister Help

Reviews Summary for Hygain TailTwister
Hygain TailTwister Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $649.95
Description: 20 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=T-2X

You can write your own review of the Hygain TailTwister.

N0XM Rating: 1/5 Dec 30, 2011 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Degraded performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a further update to my July 3, 2010 comments: The performance of the rotator has continued to erode over the 4+ years I've used this device since I acquired it new. Sticks more and more frequently and now the heading indication is no longer linear or acceptably accurate. Frequently the indicator is off by 30 degrees when moving the beam 90 to 180 degrees.

Spent a lot of money for this unit new, and have a beam with a wind loading far below the design limit of the rotator per the OEM specifications.

Wish this unit had worked much better for much longer. Unitl I change it out with another brand, I'll get up from the operating seat in the shack, walk to a window and see where the beam is after I move it.

(One last point, the mast/beam is tight and not slipping.)

ZS1BOB Rating: 3/5 Aug 15, 2010 02:58 Send this review to a friend
Hygain Tailwister  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought a 'new' second-hand unit, less than a year old. Very good to excellent condition.
On occasion It won't move and I have to climb up and rock the tower to get it going.
My antenna is a TGM-36SR, weighs almost nothing compared to other antennas ;
I suspect a volt drop - power cable is 40m to the rotator with thick wiring & starting capacitor on the rotator.
Going to build a box with relays & feed it with high amperage power-supply.

NE4EB Rating: 2/5 Sep 1, 2008 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Wouldn't Buy Another One  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the TailTwister from 1990-1999 in Florida. It never completely failed, but rocking the antenna from side to side to get the rotator rotating became second nature. It used to lock up all the time. Also, the screw terminal strip on the bottom of the rotator was a nightmare design.

This unit is also overpriced for what you get.

VE2DC Rating: 3/5 Jul 22, 2007 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Very old technology  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put one up to turn a small 12-17M beam. Gets the job done, but within a very short time the directional indicator became erratic. Surely after the time this series of rotators has been on the market they could come up with a better directional indication system.

SM7OVK Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2007 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Good rotator  Time owned: more than 12 months
No rotator will live for ever without any maintenance! The Tailtwister is easy to repair and fix. Some information at my homepage, www.producon.com/sm7ovk/rotator.html
I would buy one again. Have been taken apart two times during 20years of service.

W4ABW Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2007 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Older Tail Twister  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Tail Twister about 25+ years ago when they were made by CDE in Fuquay, NC. I put it in service in 1994 and its still like new. The new ones don't seem to have the reliability that CDE had. Back then the cost was far less too.

LA5HE Rating: 1/5 Jan 30, 2007 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: more than 12 months
THis was my 2.nd T2XX, purchased in June 2005 at Hamradio in FN. It carries SteppIR 3 ele + OB4030.
First year went ok but in the autum 2006 it became erratic and finally it does not turn any more. I belive either the motor or the gear is kaput ! Now I release the break and turn the antenna by a rope from ground ! This saved the day for the VU7LD/VU7RG and S21XA operations but is not very practical.

An email to the factory brought no response !

I will invest in the Italian rotator once the winter is over. ( Big Boy ! ). Lifetime cost is more relevant than the purchase price IMHO

WF2S Rating: 1/5 Nov 26, 2006 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Pathetic Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
This product has been a failure since installation. It fails to work in cold weather because "the gear lubricant becomes stiff" per the Old Hy-Gain tech dept. In July it choses to stick in the NE and we play a rocking CW and CCW game to get it to budge. The cable is fine. A factory exam said all was OK. It replaced a Ham -M for a bigger array - mistake. I also have an Orion 2800 for my real HF array and it is without flaw. The Tail Twister now lives in a box, tucked away form sight and memory. Live and learn !

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2006 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but Goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine second hand in non working condition. Upon disasembly I found a date stamped inside dating it back to the late 70's. Once disassembled I found it was extremely coroded and would not devolop any torque in the CCW direction. The problem was that the gearbox berring carrier had become cracked. It's a very small affair and it's amazing that it does the job. After I repaired and cleaned the unit up I installed some upgrades recomended by CDE. For the last 7 years it's been working flawlessly.

A few observations: The gearbox is extremely light duty, the motor looks like something you might find powering a phonograph. The original brake assebmly could bind, the upgrade solved this problem through a slight redesign. The instlation of the pisition senseing pot is critical, if it's not just right side load will be placed on the shaft and will cause intermitant problems.

Mine has the standard analog control box and it's been flawless.

Use is pretty straight foward, it always works, never sticks and the azimuth indication is always spot on. Call me a happy camper.

Would I buy a new one? I'm not so certain. It looks like there are some QC issues since MFJ took over, and although MFJ has always given me great support on their products-it's an awfull long way up that tower if something should go awry.

K6XN Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2006 23:02 Send this review to a friend
My three TailTwister rotators have performed flawlessly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three TailTwister rotators currently in operation. One has been in use for approximately 15 years and rotates a large KT34-XA 6 element beam with a 32 foot boom and a KLM dipole. It has performed flawlessly. My second TailTwister has been in use seven years and rotates a VHF/UHF array comprising 6 VHF/UHF yagi beams. My third TailTwister rotates an 11 element M2 6 meter beam with a 70 foot boom at my summer QTH in the Sierras (we crank this one down for any wind ). I am using US Tower MA-550 and MA-770 self supporting tubular towers wherein the TailTwister is mounted below the tower in a special MARB fixture and rotates the entire tower and antenna array from below. No problems.