Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Hygain TailTwister Help

Reviews Summary for Hygain TailTwister
Hygain TailTwister Reviews: 43 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $649.95
Description: 20 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=T-2X

You can write your own review of the Hygain TailTwister.

NE4EB Rating: 2/5 Sep 1, 2008 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Wouldn't Buy Another One  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the TailTwister from 1990-1999 in Florida. It never completely failed, but rocking the antenna from side to side to get the rotator rotating became second nature. It used to lock up all the time. Also, the screw terminal strip on the bottom of the rotator was a nightmare design.

This unit is also overpriced for what you get.

VE2DC Rating: 3/5 Jul 22, 2007 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Very old technology  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put one up to turn a small 12-17M beam. Gets the job done, but within a very short time the directional indicator became erratic. Surely after the time this series of rotators has been on the market they could come up with a better directional indication system.

SM7OVK Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2007 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Good rotator  Time owned: more than 12 months
No rotator will live for ever without any maintenance! The Tailtwister is easy to repair and fix. Some information at my homepage, www.producon.com/sm7ovk/rotator.html
I would buy one again. Have been taken apart two times during 20years of service.

W4ABW Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2007 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Older Tail Twister  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Tail Twister about 25+ years ago when they were made by CDE in Fuquay, NC. I put it in service in 1994 and its still like new. The new ones don't seem to have the reliability that CDE had. Back then the cost was far less too.

LA5HE Rating: 1/5 Jan 30, 2007 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: more than 12 months
THis was my 2.nd T2XX, purchased in June 2005 at Hamradio in FN. It carries SteppIR 3 ele + OB4030.
First year went ok but in the autum 2006 it became erratic and finally it does not turn any more. I belive either the motor or the gear is kaput ! Now I release the break and turn the antenna by a rope from ground ! This saved the day for the VU7LD/VU7RG and S21XA operations but is not very practical.

An email to the factory brought no response !

I will invest in the Italian rotator once the winter is over. ( Big Boy ! ). Lifetime cost is more relevant than the purchase price IMHO

WF2S Rating: 1/5 Nov 26, 2006 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Pathetic Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
This product has been a failure since installation. It fails to work in cold weather because "the gear lubricant becomes stiff" per the Old Hy-Gain tech dept. In July it choses to stick in the NE and we play a rocking CW and CCW game to get it to budge. The cable is fine. A factory exam said all was OK. It replaced a Ham -M for a bigger array - mistake. I also have an Orion 2800 for my real HF array and it is without flaw. The Tail Twister now lives in a box, tucked away form sight and memory. Live and learn !

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2006 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but Goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine second hand in non working condition. Upon disasembly I found a date stamped inside dating it back to the late 70's. Once disassembled I found it was extremely coroded and would not devolop any torque in the CCW direction. The problem was that the gearbox berring carrier had become cracked. It's a very small affair and it's amazing that it does the job. After I repaired and cleaned the unit up I installed some upgrades recomended by CDE. For the last 7 years it's been working flawlessly.

A few observations: The gearbox is extremely light duty, the motor looks like something you might find powering a phonograph. The original brake assebmly could bind, the upgrade solved this problem through a slight redesign. The instlation of the pisition senseing pot is critical, if it's not just right side load will be placed on the shaft and will cause intermitant problems.

Mine has the standard analog control box and it's been flawless.

Use is pretty straight foward, it always works, never sticks and the azimuth indication is always spot on. Call me a happy camper.

Would I buy a new one? I'm not so certain. It looks like there are some QC issues since MFJ took over, and although MFJ has always given me great support on their products-it's an awfull long way up that tower if something should go awry.

K6XN Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2006 23:02 Send this review to a friend
My three TailTwister rotators have performed flawlessly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three TailTwister rotators currently in operation. One has been in use for approximately 15 years and rotates a large KT34-XA 6 element beam with a 32 foot boom and a KLM dipole. It has performed flawlessly. My second TailTwister has been in use seven years and rotates a VHF/UHF array comprising 6 VHF/UHF yagi beams. My third TailTwister rotates an 11 element M2 6 meter beam with a 70 foot boom at my summer QTH in the Sierras (we crank this one down for any wind ). I am using US Tower MA-550 and MA-770 self supporting tubular towers wherein the TailTwister is mounted below the tower in a special MARB fixture and rotates the entire tower and antenna array from below. No problems.

WV4R Rating: 3/5 Aug 6, 2005 06:51 Send this review to a friend
From Hygain to MightyFineJunk...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three Hygain rotors. I have exclusively owned Hygain rotors since 1978. I purchased the most recent TailTwister at the same time as MFJ (Mighty Fine Junk) acquired Hygain. I had an issue with control box hum. I needed a part. I had ZERO warranty help since MFJ had No parts and No expertise for their new rotor line and would not honor the Hygain warranty. MFJ is a low cost,low expertise provider. Now to the good news. I rebuilt one rotor after 20 years service. One is down for parts after 10 years. The third one is chugging right along after six years. There has always been a bit of slop in the rotor brake assembly which was slightly disconcerting in high winds... but no failure due to wind. The Tailtwister rotated a stack of 20m/4ele, 2m/11ele, 440/22ele, dual-band ground plane until I replaced it with the ORION/M2 model: RC2800P-A which is the answer to a dream rotor. Due to the hum, the slop in the rotor brake, and MFJ Non-Service, Non-Expertise the TailTwister earns the wv4r-THREE star rating. 73 es God bless, murf/wv4r.

G3VOF Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2005 03:16 Send this review to a friend
20+ years down the line  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good day to the readers.....

I have had my T2X for 20+ years now...and yes it's true to say I did suffer with the hum already mentioned, due to it's eathing problem while it was rotating, and sometimes it did get stuck at either extremity, always at the wrong dx moment, causing a few bad words, and yes now in 2005 the main tag strip at the bottom of the rotor has now rusted, and needs replacing..but in it's defence, it did turn five beams for all that time, including a KT33XA, and a TH7DX..it also suvived the bad gales that England suffered in 1989 with wind gusts over 100mph. Most of the time it worked well for me (ignoring the hum)....of course there will always be the rogue one that slips through the net from time-to-time like most products, but for me the Tail Twister has been a good ole workhorse...I am moving from this qth, and its now been removed from the Strumech tower for an overhaul, but I expect it will go on another 20+ years beaming out the dx at a different location.