Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Yaesu YA-30 Folded Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu YA-30 Folded Dipole
Yaesu YA-30 Folded Dipole Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $269.00
Description: This is a Broadband Folded Di-Pole, similar to the B&W folded Di-Poles. The difference being size and construction I believe. The wire portion is a coated wire, that seems to be a slightly larger gauge than the B&W and the fit and finish seem a bit better.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu YA-30 Folded Dipole.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2017 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Very HAPPY!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried many antennas for 160m, my lot is small, 160m a challenge to get something that works, some of boys on 160m said try using a receive only antenna, am now getting the results I was hoping for.
Use a 160m resonant vertical plus 1500w for transmit, receiving mostly in Gray Line. Brought, built, an tried many different antennas with so so results, until I came across the Yaesu YA-30 Folded Dipole, after installing it at 30' to the APEX an 18' on the ends, it WORKS 160-10m on receive GREAT in its location. Its used as a receive only antenna, down some from the G5RV or a dipole
but the antenna hears wonderfully it hears better than my Double Bozzoka on 75m a lot of the better than time my G5RV, that doing something because both of these antennas hear well, have a Great little 20-6m beam and it give it a run for the money on 20m. The SWR is very low on all bands it covers, it done not have as much gain as a dipole, but if the weak signal your trying hear
is a little to weak, use the preamp on the radio it boost the signal not noise with this antenna, for what I was looking for this antenna fills my needs, very HAPPY!

N2CVS Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2017 19:40 Send this review to a friend
for JT65/JT9 max power is 25 WATTS on the average.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The specifications sheet says for Data 75 watts for 5 minutes on and 25 minutes off.
This calculates to 12.5 watts average.

JT65 at 1 Watt is about 50 seconds on (without CW ID) 10 seconds off for transmit, and 60 seconds off for receive.
This duty cycle of 5/12.

so 12.5 / (5/12) = 30 watts.

So you can transmit at 30 watts.

This is for continuous one transmit cycle followed by one receive cycle.

I didn't realize this and it is a big concern for me.

I should have done the math.

G3RKF Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2013 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent solution in loft.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Use the B-Square Eng 110ft up at 70ft as W2/G3RKF. Excellent performance with IC735 from 10m to 80m. Like dx chasing and with HRD and cluster feed I'm onto a new entity very quickly.
In England don't have large garden so had trap dipoles plus WARC bands in loft for 10m to 80m. Regular visits tweaking lengths for cw or ssb was a pain.
B-Square doesn't come with insulated wire so YA-30 the obvious choice. Taken 2 days to shoehorn it in! Needed several extra spacers to maintain shape.
Plenty of RBN spots and some qso's confirm I'm getting out.
Great vswr values of course and it's so much quieter. I've lost 3 S points of noise on 40m.
I'm awarding the YA-30 a five. It seems expensive, but so are all the T2FD's. Had to imagine what else could get me on 9 bands in an instant, with 200w from trusty FT1000mpV without any of the neighbors having a clue. Stealth rules!

PY3HAM Rating: 1/5 Jan 18, 2013 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Don't like  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all, I hope you all excuse my poor english!
Well... I purchased a YA-30 some years ago, and I had no problems of any kind with TVI, SWR, etc. I decided to install it as Inverted "V", but I bacame sooooo frustrated with it, mainly with the poor TX. Almost all the HAMs I did a QSO told me that my signal were really weak... far away that any dipole. Few days later I decided to remove it and, this way, I keep it just "resting" for almost 10 years in my garage, hihihi... My experience was not good, indeed! 73's

AG1M Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Recommended!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a Yaesu YA-30 a few years ago for my home station after some positive experience using a BW-90 in a Federal Government provided HF Emergency installation. Hadn't heard anyone talk about the YA-30 and hadn't seen any reviews.

My QTH is 80'x80' city lot and occupied primarily by a 2-story house and 2 car garage. The YA-30 fit nicely along the 80' west fence line in a slight inverted V - apex on at 31' and ends at 21' . All masts were heavy duty push-up fiberglass. I adapted a center support bracket from a BW-90 bracket.

Using the YA-30 with my Yaesu FTD-897-D and attached LDG AT897 tuner, it was a good match as advertised. Performance of the YA-30 was better than expected. I haven't used my radialed 6BTV since.
My borrowed 90 ft. BW-90 was not only a pain to mount, but did not match or work as well as the YA-30.

The YA-30 wire is flexible 10 AWG with a durable outer insulation. It held up with storm-force winds and multiple snow storms.

As expected, the YA-30 didn't work NVIS as well as my single band NVIS optimized wire antennas on 40 or 80 Meters. Nor did it perform aw well on 40M DX as my 144' wire loop.

As for T2FD antennas often being characterized as 'Dummy Loads", don't believe it. All antennas present a compromise.

For multi-band HF with a single antenna on a city lot, I'd take the YA-30 over most alternatives.

KD6SX Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2012 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very pleased with this antenna. I have it suspended from my tower with the apex at 40 feet and the ends at about 20 feet. The SWR is very low on all bands with the highest being 1.4:1 on 17 meters. I don't have to use the internal antenna tuner in my radio on any of the bands. The results on 40 through 10 meters have been excellent. It does an adequate job on 80 meters--not quite as good as my old half-wave dipole but this antenna's noise level is so low on 80 meters that I don't mind the decreased output. It's a trade-off that I can live with. The antenna gets me on the air on 160 meters but that's about it--nothing to brag about.

The antenna does what I wanted it to do. I am not a DXer and am not into contesting. I wanted an antenna that could get me on all the HF bands with a low SWR and which would do an adequate job on all bands. For me, the convenience is worth the compromises inherent in the broadband design.

George
KD6SX

KD7XH Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Great and Rugged too!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I installed the Ya-30 antenna a year and half ago and after a month use I was hit with a micro burst wind storm that ripped off the 56 foot awning from the house, Panels flew over the roof of the house and some of the panels (3X12 foot) hit the antenna and bent the mast in half! The YA-30 survived with only one of the spreaders broken. After repairing the bent mast and replacing the spreader the antenna works great. Better than a 80 meter dipole at the same height ( 30 feet) fed with ladder line. The YA-30's performance drops off on 80 and 160 meters as it is only 82 feet long. This a very good antenna for 40 to 10 meter bands with no gaps at low heights below 1/2 wavelength. The low noise on receive is a great advantage communicating with Russia and Cuba while in Maricopa. Arizona. A note to keep the spreader from falling off is to tie each end to the wire with a twist tie from a loaf of bread to secure the snap connection where the spreader snaps onto the wire ( 12 total twist ties needed).

KD7BWB Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2010 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Big Improvement!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Yaesu YA-30 antenna replaced a End-Fed Zepp cut for 75-meters, mounted on the same mounts as the Zepp. And it is more/less horizontal. I opened the water-sealed terminator case to see what was in it. It appears to be a series/parallel array of about 15-watts, with a total resistance of about 500-ohms. The balun seems to be at 450-ohms, which yields the final 50-ohm impedance.

YA-30 is at 24-feet altitude (same as the Zepp), and now yields an average 9-db more gain (vs the Zepp) on most bands, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm doing NVIS or distance. Antenna has been very quiet! End-Fed Zepp gave me a constant S-7 to S-9 noise level, YA-30 noise level is usually around S-2!

SWR is almost flat on all bands, rising to 2:1 at 1.8-Mhz, and to 2.5:1 at 54-Mhz (tested with my Yaesu FT-450).

When propagation permits, I often talk to people from 100-miles to both coasts from Arizona. Usual radio is a Drake TR-4, tuneup at 200-watts has proved no problem whatever.

I am very happy with this antenna, and intend to use it until I have a need for an amp . While your mileage may vary, mine has proved quite good for an antenna everybody told me to stay away from because it would prove to be a dummy load. I was told this (relayed) from a guy that could not hear my End-Fed Zepp, and is still complaining at me directly because now he can hear me. You just can't convince some people.

The YA-30 has sustained serious bad weather, and stays put together (that is after I used some glue-putty on the separation braces). No sign of of wear and tear.

For folks that absolutely need a short wire antenna, that covers the entire shortwave spectrum, yields good gain and low noise, and the user does not need more than 150-200 watts:

YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR NEXT ANTENNA.

AB6SY Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2009 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Very easy to get up and running  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easy install on push-up pole inverted V. Mine is only 28' at the top and have worked across USA on 80, 40, 20 and 17 at 1.1:1 SWR using transmitter's internal tuner. Tuner in my IC746 Pro can't seem to get SWR below 2.5-3:1 on 15, 12 and 10.

Resistor is a little heavy for smallest fiberglass push-up pole piece (3/4"), so recommend mounting it on at least 1" if using fiberglass.

This is a no-nonsense, easy-to-install-and-get-on-the-air antenna. No trimming at all necessary. I'd give it a 5+ except for the tuning difficulty mentioned.

ZL4TGH Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2008 02:29 Send this review to a friend
Conveniant  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is such a good antenna if you understand it's limitations. To be able to go straight to any part of the HF band and just start transmitting is such a bonus. I used to use it with my marine HF license as well as the Ham bands never a problem. I even checked out it's real pep power rating, goes a bit pear shaped around 400w with all sorts of interesting stuff going on. The spacers need to be more secure as they will fall of if not secured before putting into service. The power rating is not high enough, what would it cost them, a dollar or two to up-rate it, shame they didn't do it as it would have a '5' from me. Anyway, if gone camping or at my QTH the YA-30 and my old 757 don't miss much DX :)