Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-DD Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-DD
Alpha Delta DX-DD Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: 40/80 meter shortened dipole (82')
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-DD.

WB5UAA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2016 16:23 Send this review to a friend
One word: WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't have enough room to put up a 1/2 wave 80M dipole, but there's room for a 40. So I thought I might try this. One word: WOW! I pulled it out of its packing, put it on top of a 30 foot telescopic pole, stretched the wires out and:

2.0:1 3505
1.5:1 3522
2.0:1 3537

2.0:1 7004
1.0:1 7124
2.0:1 7253

80 is PERFECT! 40 is PERFECT! But being a CW guy, I might try to lengthen the inside wires a bit.

Again, right out of the box, WOW!

KE6TDT Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2016 11:16 Send this review to a friend
This coil loaded antenna receives & tunes great on 40/75 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased mine used approximately 1 month ago. Very well made, heavy duty construction and the center conductor and coils are stout and robust.

I never previously owned a coiled loaded antenna but due to some limitations the antenna appealed to me. Since purchase the antenna works near perfect for my venue.

It tunes from 3.800 to about 3.8650 in an SWR range of approximately 1:1 to 1:4 SWR. Very acceptable from my perspective. This is being used with a non-pro IC-746 with IC-AT500 auto tuner or matching unit. When using the IC-2KL 500w amplifier, it indicates I can easily put out 500 watts from the IC-2KL even though I only operate it about 450 watts to keep everything happy and operating. Side note, I left the SEP static voltage module intact.

I was also pleased with the color of the antenna wire, which seems to be an off white and blends into the background and sky exceptionally well. The coils are low enough to keep the antenna stealthy where it was installed as an inverted V with the apex at about 40' elevation.

Initially it did not tune on 75. I had to shorten the antenna approximately 12", on each leg. You do this by simply wrapping the wires back on themselves, which worked to my advantage in regards to space available.

The antenna seems to receive excellent and now I have my older HF6Vx vertical for the higher bands and the DX-DD for the lower 40/75 bands. I have reached antenna nirvana, hihi. Oh, and it tunes 40m throughout the 40 meter general class voice portion of the band with little effort.

For what I paid used price for this coil loaded antenna, I can easily rate this at a +5. I recommend and endorse the DX-DD to anyone who does not have quite enough space for a full sized dipole antenna.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2016 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Second time around!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My second usage of this antenna, have limited space, 80' does work good there.
Tried different antennas in this 90' area, Had a W9INN custom 20-40-75m up there for about 7 years was very pleased with the results , a 75m coil went bad because I put to much power into it on a rainy day to my regret, that antenna fit with room to spare, nothing worked better overall than that antenna in that space, built, barrowed, brought different antennas to try an
have a replacement that would work as well as it did, never could make it happen. Put up a 30' tower with a TMG MQ-26
that took care of 20m and them some. The ZS6BKW which is 90' long worked the best on 6-75m but while sounding very good
when the band was in does not work as well on 75m in that spot. have the AD DX-DD there now an it work great there for 40 and 75m. At great expence to me I have overcome the problem. I paid less than $100.00
before 2000 for the W9INN custom dipole and $150 for the AD DXDD. Do think the DD will last some longer because of it NR 12 wire, it has wider band with on 40m- 75m than the W9INN but no 20m except if a tuner is used. The 30' tower with a rotor and the MQ-26 cost were added in was $2500.00 of course there are also benifits I did not have before as well..........KB6HRT

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2016 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Second time around!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My second usage of this antenna, have limited space, 80' works
tried different antennas in this 90' area, Had a W9INN custom 20-40-75m up there for about 7 years was very pleased with its results, one 75m coil went bad because I put to much power into it on a rainy day to my regret, that antenna fit with room to spare, nothing worked better overall than than that antenna in that space, built, barrowed, brought different antennas to try an
that took care of 20m and them some. The ZS6BKW which is 90' long work the best on 6-60m but while sounding very good
when the band was in does not work as well in the spot I have this antenna as a AD DX-DD. So at grest expence to me I have overcome my problem and then some. I paid less than $100.00
around 2000 for the W9INN custom dipole and $150 for the AD DXDD do think the DD will last some longer because of it NR 12 wire and it has longer bandwith on 40 an 75m than the W9INN had. Now the 30' tower and rotor and MQ-26 cost were added in add $2500.00 of corse there are also more benifits as well..........KB6HRT

KJ6HI Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2014 12:16 Send this review to a friend
40/80 Meter DX-DD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently put up an Alpha Delta DX-DD for 40 and 80 meters. It is built well, and I am VERY HAPPY with its performance on 40/80 meters.

THANK YOU ALPHA DELTA FOR A GREAT DIPOLE !!!!

WB2PJH Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2014 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Very well built  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my DX-DD for six months, through the worst winter weather in 20 years. It's performed very well. The construction is heavy duty with solid #12 wire with a heavy insulation. The center and end insulators are substantial as are the two 80 meter coils. I asked Alpha Delta how the antenna was tuned out of the bag and was told it was resonant for 80 and 40 SSB but mine is resonant on both CW bands which is where I spend most of my time. The tuner takes care of the SSB portions with no problems.

The antenna is built so well I could not bear to take it apart so I added a parallel 30 meter dipole by inventing a spacer made of plastic pipe than hangs off the DD and is held in place with cable ties while the resonant 30 meter antenna runs through a hole insulated with some plastic tubing at the bottom. With my five band Hexxbeam I now have 8 band 80-10 meter coverage.

I highly recommend this antenna and I am sure their other wire antennas are just as good, and American Made.

Dave WB2PJH

W0JMP Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2014 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Solidly built  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The components of the DX-DD are sturdy and well made. I wish I had read these reviews a little more carefully before installing the antenna. I had my "antenna guy" come out last summer, climb the tower and install the DX-CC. All was good. Did a little trimming and pruning to get the antenna to resonate just where I wanted it to resonate. As some have said, the bandwidth on 80 is quite narrow as is to be expected with a shortened antenna. But if you want to tune a bit off resonance and run a little power (I run 500 watts) you WILL blow the SEP (Static Electricity Protector). So now, my antenna is shorted and I must hire my tower climber to come out and remove the SEP...another $100 plus!. I would recommend that Alpha-Delta leave the SEP out of this antenna and tell users to install it if and only if they will only operate within the very narrow bandwidth and at low power. I know the information is in the instruction manual but, shame on me, I did not read it carefully enough or understand it fully. I guess I would give the antenna hardware a 5 with the instruction manual receiving a 3...average it out to a 4. I hope this post will save another ham from a similar problem.

N2JXN Rating: 3/5 Oct 13, 2013 08:17 Send this review to a friend
probllem with center conector  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this at aes in orlando as I thought this would suit my needs. I wanted to be able to work 40/80 meters with a dipole just for those bands. Got home and opened up the package it was in and construction looks good. Dropped my DWD 90 and installed this antenna up 50 feet. This antenna is rated at 1000w at the antenna.
I turned on the rig and al572 B and first tuned right up on 40 then went to tune 80. Well as I tuned up on 80 swr went off the scale was only running about 500 watts at this time. Dropped the antenna to see if something was loose. When I lowered it and looked at the center connector. The surge protector that comes with it looks like it just burnt up. I removed it and all works as it should.

IZ2XMK Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 04:40 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I decided to install this dipole just to compare the performance in 40m with my Cuscraft R8.
The apex is at about 1m below the R8 radial umbrella (=around 15m above ground) and outperformed the vertical by 1 to 2 S points.
In my experience you better keep the arms with a corner of about 105 degrees pulling them straight as much as You can (dont worry the AD stuff will not be broken). You will cover the whole 40m and with radio tuner the 80m also (do not loose time in touching the wires lenght!).
With 500W I could cover from Italy everything between USA and Japan and never below 5/9 at continental level.
In 80m the take off will not be so greath but You are going to be present with honor.
All in all I really recommend this antenna; rugged construction and simple to install. If you are accurately installing this dipole You'll not be disappointed for sure!
73 Luigi.

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Just Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My antenna is installed as a flat top. It is 15 feet high on one end and about 25 feet on the other. I feed it with RG-8X coax. The SWR on 40 is well within the range of my internal tuner and 2.0 or less across the band. The resonant bandwidth on 80 meters is about 50 khz. It is 1:1 for half of that and then rises quickly to either side of the curve. My internal tuner will expand this to about 90 khz. It works across all of 15 meters with my internal tuner.

I took out the static module and will use a wider range tuner to get further up the 80 meter band but, I usually work where the antenna is resonant and will not change the factory settings.

The DX-DD is very well made and could probably survive a lot of abuse - which I hope mine does not get. It took about an hour to install but I could have done it if 15 minutes if I was not picky. The people at Alpha Delta are helpful and interested in their products.

If you have lots of land, you can get something with wider band width and greater power. If not, this is one really fine compromise. It works just as advertised.