Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Alpha Delta DX-DD Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-DD
Alpha Delta DX-DD Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: 40/80 meter shortened dipole (82')
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-DD.

HFSPOOK Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2008 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DX-DD replaced a home built 40M dipole. The DX-DD performs as well as the full length unit on 40M and now I have 80M as a bonus. Both bands work great and I get great reports using my home built 40M/80M QRP rig (2 watts).
Robust antenna like the other Alpha Delta antennas I have for ham and SWL.

KC5NWS Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2008 09:55 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put up the dx-dd today, one leg is up about 25feet,the other about 15 feet and the center is about 27 feet, runs south and north. Right now using coax and a outboard auto tuner on 75/80.No tuner needed on 40. Results are very good. Getting one leg up at 25ft got me over the ridge to my west and now I can also work 75/80, talked to a station in new mexico at 8;30am on 75 so thats great, talked to the old geezers on 40 this am and my signal is much improved so i am very happy.Later I may go to ladder line and try that.This ant replaces a 40m dipole.
k5jyd in texas

KY6R Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2008 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna & Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently converted my Alpha Delta DX-LB to a DX-DD so I could get the antenna up higher - as a 50' flat top. I emailed Don at Alpha Delta and he was most helpful, and I think very kind to support me in my conversion.

I learned a few things as well, and its really great to have an American company, owned by a ham, support their products the way Don does.

KF2WL Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2008 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having wind destroy my 135 ft inverted vee I put this antenna up in a different location about 35 feet above ground. It works as I was hoping it to work. However I did as previous reviewers did and ran 450 ohm line instead of coax. To a 4:1 balun to rg-8x at 8 foot into the shack.

In this setup it receives better than my end fed half wave. It actually has SWR under 1.5:1 on 15M & 10M before tuning. So after the "mod" I am very happy and the antenna covers all of 75M now.

IW1QN Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2008 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Works Very Well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the DX-DD Model from 6 Months.
I set up the Dipole like Inverted V and the Highest point is at 7meter of my roof.
I Haven' t another solution and there is not another space on my roof.
The Dipole works very well in DX and I Obtain good results.
I have 1,5:1 SWR on 40m and in 80M the resonance is very little, but I know that the Dipole work better if I can setup the Dipole in better condition.
Form me the Rating is 5/5 because I work without problem good DX in 40 like VK,ZL, and many other.
The Signal from USA are vesry strong.
Good Antenna.

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2007 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Works well with mod  Time owned: more than 12 months
My full sized 75 meter dipole recently snapped because of some high winds. I had this Alpha Delta antenna in the garage and decided to dig it out. It has always worked pretty well but very narrow banded on 75 meters, so I decided to improve on its frequency capabilities. I removed the coaxial center connector and replaced it with a connector that takes balanced feedline. I connected 300 ohm windowline to the antenna (450 ohm balanced line would also work just fine) from my previous 135 foot dipole. The balanced feedline comes down to a DX Engineering 1:1 balun in a waterproof enclosure on a short post driven into the ground with an 8 foot groundrod beside it. A 6 foot piece of coax goes from the 1:1 balun thru the wall of my house to my MFJ tuner. Now I can enjoy 80 thru 10 meter coverage with this 82 foot long antenna and not have to worry about its narrow coverage on 75 when used with coaxial feedline. I also have an Alpha Delta DX-EE 40-10 meter antenna thatI am thinking about modifying the same way. Balanced feedline is super low loss and SWR worries are non existant with this setup and a good 1:1 balun and an antenna tuner. DX Engineering recommends this setup over using the built in 4:1 balun in a tuner, and I have to agree it is a super antenna system. I have the 82 foot DX-DD in an inverted V configuration with the apex at about 55 feet. It is a super antenna and does very well on 75 with this setup, and swr is no longer a factor with the balanced feedline.

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2003 12:50 Send this review to a friend
works well, but expensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved to Florida a few months ago and decided to use this antenna for my main station antenna. I had had it up for several years at my previous qth. In order to get more bang for my buck I modified it to use a hundred feet of 300 ohm radio shack twinlead feedline. Now I can, with an external tuner, use it on all bands from 80 thru 6 meters. Fed with coax it is a plain old 40 meter dipole with extenders for 80 meters and is very narrow on 80. I work mostly qrp and this is an ideal antenna when fed with balanced feedline for use on multiple bands.But if I had it to do over again, I would save my money and get 10 bucks worth of wire to do the same thing.

W5ZZG Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2003 21:39 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far, this antenna is working great. I have had this antenna about a week and I would give it a 4 or a 5. I plan on buying another one and giving it to a friend..

I needed an antenna for 40/80 that I could put up about 20' and still keep the antenna inside the boundries of my small back yard. The first time I put this antenna up it didn't work so well as I attached it directly to a tree. (the SWR was very high) And then, as per the instructions, I made an arm to hold the center of the antenna 18" away from the tree and Viola! Now the SWR is between 1.1 and 1.5 on both bands.(see stand off - http://newwaverly.net/stand%20off.htm )

So far, I can work any station that I can hear and I seem to be able to hear pretty good...