Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-DD Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-DD
Alpha Delta DX-DD Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: 40/80 meter shortened dipole (82')

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-DD.

KR4J Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2012 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for Limited Space  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna is up in the trees with the center around 30 feet, and the legs terminating about 10-15 feet off the ground. I am close to power lines, so I had to insure that there would no problems. Out of the package, the antenna produced a very high SWR. A little tuning cured this. My SWR on 40 ranges from 2:1 at the band edges to 1.2:1 at the center. 75 meters is tuned to about 1.2:1 at the best point in the Extra Class band, and I get about 100khz from each side before the SWR is 2:1. This is pretty good for a limited space antenna. The tuner on my FT950 tunes the rest of the 75-80 band fine. As I mentioned, the location is not optimum due to surrounding power lines in the front and back yards. As far as performance, I have no problem working what I can hear. Our signals are usually about the same. I only run 100 watts. This is a great antenna for space limitations.
PY2ONU Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2011 06:25 Send this review to a friend
GOOD ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good antenna, i instaled this antenna (center) 15 meters above the ground in my TV tower. In 40 meters work great (the same a wire dipole) many DX in this band to the world. In 80 meters 40 khz (1.5:1 swr) in 3.510 khz (good contacts in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguai, Colômbia, Russia, Finland, Belarus, Ukraine, etc). Works very well in 80 meters for 27 meters wire dipole. I don't have space in my house, i'm happy, good job Alpha Delta!
KJ7CY Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Great mult-band antenna with 450 ohm ladder line  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for apx.10 years. It has held up really well. It is narrow banded on 80 meters when fed with coax. Mine antenna is resonant around 3.900mhz and below 1.5 swr across entire 40 meters. I now feed the antenna with 117ft. of 450 ohm ladder line though a 1:1 current balun made by Balun Designs(model 1115t)and then a short run of coax to my Ameritron tuner. This allows 10-80 meter coverage with very good results. The apex is at 36ft. and the ends are at 20ft. Most of the time I don't even use the tuner on 10,12,15,and 40 meters. But I do need to use the tuner on 17,20, and non resonant portions of 75/80 meters. The antenna is made of high quality materials and should last a long time. I also have a DX-EE but have not put it up in the air yet. I am very happy with this antenna and would highly recommend it.
WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2009 11:17 Send this review to a friend
perfect now modified  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has always been a good, yet limited use antenna. So a couple of years ago, I decided to replace the center coaxial feedline connection with one designed for balanced feed line. NOW this antenna loads and radiates very, very well on all bands, 80-10 meters and with a broadbanded manual tuner, I can tune all bands/frequencies with very low loss. It's a very heavy duty antenna and can withstand a lot of wind and bad weather. Now with the modification of being able to use balanced feedline instead of coax, I have a fine, all band antenna only 82 feet long, that takes care of most of my HF operation. I use 300 ohm windowline from DX Engineering, but 450 ohm balanced line would work just just as well. The advantage of the 300 ohm is its lower wind and icing profile. Winters here in SW Missouri can be pretty harsh and ice storms are common. If you have one of these Alpha Delta antennas and would like to make it even more versatile, consider this modificiation.It turns a dual band antenna into a fine performing ALL bander.
5R8GQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2008 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Works Well for what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all, the listed price at the top of this page is wayyy out of date. I just checked online and they currently sell at HRO for $130.95 as of December 2008.

I have had this antenna up for about 8 years. It is installed as an Inverted Vee with the apex at 35 feet and the ends about 9 feet off of the ground. It did not work well at all out of the box. High SWR and difficult to tune. A call to Alpha Delta told me to remove the worthless metal strip they call a "lightening/static protector" at the center connector. Everything was FB after that. Since I use it for RTTY & CW, it worked well at the bottom of the two bands without tuning at all, though the bandwidth on 80m is only about 75 kc (under 3:1 VSWR). Bandwidth on 40m is much wider, but since it is centered at 7.090 I can't fully measure it. Handles a kilowatt RTTY just fine and has stood up well to weather.

I gave this antenna 4 instead of a 5 because of the very high price for what you are getting. come on.....$130 for an 82' wire antenna?
HFSPOOK Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2008 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DX-DD replaced a home built 40M dipole. The DX-DD performs as well as the full length unit on 40M and now I have 80M as a bonus. Both bands work great and I get great reports using my home built 40M/80M QRP rig (2 watts).
Robust antenna like the other Alpha Delta antennas I have for ham and SWL.
KC5NWS Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2008 09:55 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put up the dx-dd today, one leg is up about 25feet,the other about 15 feet and the center is about 27 feet, runs south and north. Right now using coax and a outboard auto tuner on 75/80.No tuner needed on 40. Results are very good. Getting one leg up at 25ft got me over the ridge to my west and now I can also work 75/80, talked to a station in new mexico at 8;30am on 75 so thats great, talked to the old geezers on 40 this am and my signal is much improved so i am very happy.Later I may go to ladder line and try that.This ant replaces a 40m dipole.
k5jyd in texas
KY6R Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2008 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna & Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently converted my Alpha Delta DX-LB to a DX-DD so I could get the antenna up higher - as a 50' flat top. I emailed Don at Alpha Delta and he was most helpful, and I think very kind to support me in my conversion.

I learned a few things as well, and its really great to have an American company, owned by a ham, support their products the way Don does.
KF2WL Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2008 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having wind destroy my 135 ft inverted vee I put this antenna up in a different location about 35 feet above ground. It works as I was hoping it to work. However I did as previous reviewers did and ran 450 ohm line instead of coax. To a 4:1 balun to rg-8x at 8 foot into the shack.

In this setup it receives better than my end fed half wave. It actually has SWR under 1.5:1 on 15M & 10M before tuning. So after the "mod" I am very happy and the antenna covers all of 75M now.
IW1QN Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2008 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Works Very Well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the DX-DD Model from 6 Months.
I set up the Dipole like Inverted V and the Highest point is at 7meter of my roof.
I Haven' t another solution and there is not another space on my roof.
The Dipole works very well in DX and I Obtain good results.
I have 1,5:1 SWR on 40m and in 80M the resonance is very little, but I know that the Dipole work better if I can setup the Dipole in better condition.
Form me the Rating is 5/5 because I work without problem good DX in 40 like VK,ZL, and many other.
The Signal from USA are vesry strong.
Good Antenna.