Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | KA1VGM NetManager Help

Reviews Summary for KA1VGM NetManager
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $FREEWARE
Description: ARES / NTS Net logging software. Windows base logging software to keep track of nets and traffic. Features are too numerous to mention.
Still in the production stages. There are many features that are to be included in future versions such as synching net roster over the internet, packet, or other means.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/ka1vgm

You can write your own review of the KA1VGM NetManager.

KD7CAO Rating: 2/5 Apr 25, 2007 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Flaky  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off I must say that the concept looks great. However, I feel the software needs a great deal of assistance as it is very dated and not really compatible with Windows XP or other systems. I tried to E-Mail the author but apparently the E-Mail address is no longer valid. Second, I strongly feel that a program that can handle the following would be a major asset to Emergency Services and is long overdue. Ability to do net logging, print, archive, send all message forms including ICS / NIMS / Fire Administration / Red Cross / etc... Allow data sharing with a server, flash drives, websites, and packet based.

AL1Z Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2004 22:03 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Free Software for ARES  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The URL for this software should actually be http://www.levektronix.com/.

Being a recently appointed ARES EC for our area I realized that there would now be some additional paperwork and reporting required on my part for documenting our weekly nets. As such I went searching for software that would help me out in that regard. What I found was that very few software logging programs have devoted much, if any, focus to ARES Net's, or traffic net's in general. But in the course of my search I bumped in to Larry's NetManager s/w, which is really a fine piece of programming.

There are 3 versions available on his website, v1.0.18 (Jun03), V1.0.66(May04), and V1.9.3(Oct04).

As free s/w goes there are usually some quirks to be expected, but overall, the functionality contained in this software is more than adequate for what I required (basic ARES net check-in recording).

A couple things to watch for: v1.0.66 doesn't include the help files, and error's out when selecting that from the pull-down menu. (v1.0.18 contains a terrific help file, while v1.9.3 has a very limited help file). Some windows operating systems (eg. W98SE) cause a program error message to be displayed upon exiting - apparently a bug known to the author, but nothing that is detrimental to it's operation. However I found this to be sporadic, as I tried each version on 3 different W98SE computers and only observed the problem on one machine. W-XP didn't exhibit any exit errors. I can't speak for other versions of windows OS's since I didn't try those.

Each version of the program seems to load a bit differently. The v1.0.18 basically unzips everything into a folder - perhaps the safest approach.

V1.0.18, although the oldest (Jun03), contains pretty much everything I needed. The May04 version appeared to only change around some of the menu items, and V1.9.3 adds some PSK capability.

Overall though this is a great program for ARES net recording, and one that I will use each week.

Patrick