Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2600M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2600M
Yaesu FT-2600M Reviews: 109 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $170
Description: HEAVY-DUTY VHF FM TRANSCEIVER
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/ft2600m.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2600M.

WN5T Rating: 3/5 Dec 15, 2004 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now had my 2600M for over a year. It transmits full rated output of 65W. The audio reports have been outstanding. The receive audio is good. The internal speaker isn't great, but it is a front-firing speaker. That feature I really like, though I usually run an external speaker. This a great rig which I have run both in the truck and in the shack.

I do wish it had the DTMF control functions like those on the FT-1500.

Now, the reason I gave it a "3"... Whoever at Yaesu decided to use 6-wire modular (a.k.a. three line telephone) plugs on the microphones should have stayed home that day. If there is ANY tension on the mic cable, my transmitted audio crackles. This one will probably get opened up and the mic cable hard-wired into the radio. The trend of using RJ series connectors doesn't find it's only home at Yaesu. It is a lamentable trend. At least ICOM uses the RJ-45 on the IC706 series of radios which seems to be a more mechanically sound connection.

Buy the rig. It's great...just be ready for "you've got mic cord problems" to be heard from the speaker.

73 es gud DX,
Michael
WN5T

WX4MET Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2004 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, but gets pretty warm  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my FT-2600M for about a year and a half now, and have had no problems with it! I do have mine in a base setup in my home. Something I have observed probably not more than three times was that after turning on my power supply the radio would not come on. I had to completely unplug the power supply from my wall outlet and put it back in before the radio would come on. After that it was back to normal! I think this was due to the power supply however, and not something with the radio.
The only other thing about this radio is that it heats up very quickly. Even transmitting on five watts will cause it to get very warm, if you place your hand on the bottom of the radio. Transmit on sixty and it's too hot to leave your hand on for very long! Be certain to make sure the radio has good ventilation, no matter where its operating environment is. This is a great radio, and I will continue to recommend it to anyone!

K7TYE Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2004 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like this radio. I had it mounted in my truck for about two years. It never let me down. I only lost the memories once in the entire time I've had it. Radio has good receive and transmit. I always got great comments on transmit. It scans fairly fast which is nice when listening to multiple frequencies. The 8 character alphanumeric display is very nice. The menu system was easy to learn. Having the front facing speaker is a plus but I would still reccomend an external one for even better audio. I would definetely buy another one of these if I ever needed a 2m again.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2003 22:27 Send this review to a friend
good performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
ive had mine for 2 years now and have not had any problems withanything.ran 60watts for hours at a time and yah it got warm but they all do.memory problems?i havent.speaker works excellent,scan is super fast,display is easy to read,etc etc.take it for what its worth,this is a very good radio and i wouldnt hesitate to buy another one or do it again.

REMOVED_KB8UYZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2003 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using primarily Yaesu equipment lately, and have great success with the rigs. I purchased a 2600M in late 2002 and use it as my primary FM base radio. I have it stacked on an FT-100D and both are using a Yaesu 25 amp switching power supply. I primarily use the radio on simplex, using a Diamond V-2000 tri-band base antenna at 40 feet fed with 5/8" hardline. The setup works perfectly. As for the heat issues, I have a small 3" fan mounted directly behind the radio and it comes on automatically as the radio warms up. After long rag-chew sessions on simplex, the radio is still cool to the touch at 25-watts or 60-watts.

WA9AFM Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2003 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a radio for mobile APRS. The FT-1500M was at the top of the list till I was offered the 2600M by a local ham who got it on sale from HRO for a price he just couldn't pass up. It had been fired up once to test and sat on the shelf for several months. I liked the 2600M's four power settings vs the usual three or two on most rigs. The DB-9 data connector was also a big plus. The 2600M is built like a tank! I put it on the bench and tried it on the air; audio reports were excellent. I had fleeting thoughts of making it a base rig as the front facing speaker is feature you don't see anymore. Anyway....I hooked it to a TinyTrakIII, ran the power cables, stuffed it under the front passenger seat, and connected it to a 1/4 wave 'chocolate chip' magmount. It's been cooking away for several months now without a problem. If you want a solid, simple data radio, pickup a 2600M and enjoy!

M1PAC Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2003 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Brill Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this radio so I could get back on the air On 2 Mtrs around my local community.It is one of the best 2 mtr radios I have owned so far .
There have been ones that I wished I could own But the 2600 has all I need in a 2 Mtr Radio.

That front end is just amazing and the 60W of output power used to shut my little 10a regulated power supply down,but I went 10a Switched mode and that seemed to cure it .
The data socket on the back means that I can use UI-VIEW (aprs) or Packet radio.
I can see me having this radio for quite a while yet. Thanks go to Alan (G8WXR) for selling me the radio.

M1PAC

G7TOK Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2003 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Bomb Proof !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works as advertised, gets very hot on 60w, but doesn't mind anyway, hears everything except pagers and intermod, internal front mounted speaker can go VERY loud, audio is acceptably punchy, never get a bad report.
If you want Hi-Fi audio, go elsewhere.
If you want a scanner, go elswhere.
If you want needlessly cluttered displays, go elswhere.
If you want a radio that does exactly as described, very well too, then get this.

WA0UDX Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2003 23:32 Send this review to a friend
better than most 2 meter radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2. One for over 3 years, the other for just 2 months. The older one is used strictly in the house, and as reported by others, it had memory loss problems. It happened on 3 occasions during the first 2 months I owned it, but it's never happened again in 3 years. I always did switch the power supply and radio off and on in the correct order, so I don't know what ever caused the problem. The newer one is in my car, and I haven't experienced the memory loss problem with it, nor did the previous owner. It was one of the very last ones sold when they were closing them out, so maybe production dates have something to do with it.
I get virtually zero intermod on either radio, but I run just a 1/4 wavelength antenna on the car (which I assume helps), and the base station yagi is pointed away from the broadcast towers overlooking Denver. I tested the sensitivity on one of them and got 12dB SINAD at -122.0 dBm (.18 microvolts). The transmit frequency error was < 200 Hz, output power was right around 60 Watts, and the deviation was a little less that 5KHz. CTCSS tone frequency accuracy was good, and the DCS signaling was well shaped.
The display has 8 characters which is great for alpha numeric naming. (Why in the world they reduced that to 6 characters on the new FT-2800 is beyond me.) The channel scan is fast. As most modern Yaesus, it has CTCSS encode AND decode standard (wake up Kenwood) and digital coded squelch standard. It also has a feature I almost can't live without which is the "nuisance delete" function during scanning. If the radio stops scanning on a channel that you don't want to listen to, just hit the SET/Mhz button, and it takes off scanning the remaining channels. You can continue to temporarily delete channels from the scan list. When you stop scanning, and then restart scanning, all those deleted channels are back in the scan list again. You can of course more permanently delete channels from the scan list through the menu system. The menu system has thirty-some parameters. They are fairly easy to interpret. It has many other neat features like selectable auto power off, Yaesu's ARTS system (which I haven't used), packet support, etc. It has a small front firing speaker. Front firing beats upward or downward firing in most installations, but it IS pretty small. As on most consumer radios, you need an amplified Motorola speaker (or similar) if you are going to drive 60 MPH with the windows rolled down. The speaker is great in the house. The 2 styles of squelch settings in the menu system pretty much make up for the lack of a squelch knob. You can open the squelch with one of the programmable buttons on the microphone. The heatsink is large, and on the bottom of the radio! The placement seems weird to me, but I guess it does dissipate heat even on the bottom. I use a manually controlled fan on both of my radios. It doesn't take much flow to cool them as long as you get some air moving over that large heat sink. On the radio in the house, after 30 minutes of full power rag chewing, the fan drops the heat sink temperature from 140F to 80F, with room temp at 70F. I don't usually wait for the temp to get that high before using the fan.
I have read some reviews trashing almost every aspect of the radio, and all I can say is they obviously had a defective unit. Except for the memory loss problem early on with the first unit, I have had no problems with these at all. I liked the first one so well, I traded my FT-3000 for the second FT-2600. The 3000 had many more features, a squelch knob, and dual cooling fans, but I felt it was worth the trade to have 2 of a kind.

KB4LP Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2003 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Rugged Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The FT-2600M is a great little single band radio with most of the features needed for mobile operation. Some have mentioned that this radio has problems with loosing memories when the automobile is started with the radio already powered on. In the time I have owned this, no such problem has ever occured and it is left on very frequently. The Programming software is not required for programming, but it is desirable.(Especially, if you get one that has the memory loss.) I have always purchased the software for any radio I purchase...if it is available. This is the 5th or 6th Yaesu I have owned...all have been great radios. This radio has great intermod rejection. It has been on "RF Hill" where all the towers and transmitters are located. It did howl once, though. But this was while it was under a 1000 foot tower! The rig has a front firing speaker that is fairly strong, although I use a remote speaker. The internal speaker is suffiencient for quiter cars, but not so for the loud trucks that some of us own. The microphone PTT is slightly sensitive, other than that the Mic is very functional and straight forward. Constantly receive good audio reports. The TX audio apparently is a little strong...at least for my deep voice. Back away a few inches and the TX is great. These radios are now discontinued but should be available on the used market at hamfests and such. They were selling for $109 when the closeout took place! A great bargain for this rig!