Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2600M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2600M
Yaesu FT-2600M Reviews: 112 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $170
Description: HEAVY-DUTY VHF FM TRANSCEIVER
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/ft2600m.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2600M.

G0YAP Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2007 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Built Like A Tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 of these, one has been my main station 2 mtr rig for the passed 6 years and it has never let me down. My wife uses the base alot to talk to me whilst I,m at work and by god.. she can talk!! The 60w pa stands up to her verbal assault and the radio does heat up, but nothing to worry about. I have noticed these radios are favoured by the Raynet and 4 x 4 rescue lot and I,m not surprized. They are a good, well built and reliable radio. Shame Yaesu stopped making them. If you see one for sale... BUY IT or tell me about it and I,ll buy it!

G0YAP Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2007 08:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned one as my main base station transceiver for years and it is used everyday on 60 watt. It is like the duracel... It keeps going... and going and going..... A good basic, reliable radio.

N5NPO Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2006 04:59 Send this review to a friend
Wish they still made 'em!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got mine used from e-bay. Being a two way radio tech I was not overly concerned about any problems that might crop up with a used rig. Despite not being packed well for shipping, I recieved the radio in very good condition. It was missing the mounting bracket and one screw from the face plate. I found a mounting bracket for it (from a Kenwood TK-7160 land mobile rig) and put it in my service van. It has a fron firing speaker, best idea yet on a 2m mobile rig. It is 90% heatsink. It will get very warm, but rest assured it is dissipating the heat. I have the programming software and it makes entering memories a BREEZE! If you want a 2m mobile rig with guts and features, this is the one! You can get them used sometimes for under $120. With the built in PL encode decode and DPL (DCS) encode/decode, the radio will not be obsolete for many years to come! 73 de N5NPO

WN5T Rating: 3/5 Dec 15, 2004 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now had my 2600M for over a year. It transmits full rated output of 65W. The audio reports have been outstanding. The receive audio is good. The internal speaker isn't great, but it is a front-firing speaker. That feature I really like, though I usually run an external speaker. This a great rig which I have run both in the truck and in the shack.

I do wish it had the DTMF control functions like those on the FT-1500.

Now, the reason I gave it a "3"... Whoever at Yaesu decided to use 6-wire modular (a.k.a. three line telephone) plugs on the microphones should have stayed home that day. If there is ANY tension on the mic cable, my transmitted audio crackles. This one will probably get opened up and the mic cable hard-wired into the radio. The trend of using RJ series connectors doesn't find it's only home at Yaesu. It is a lamentable trend. At least ICOM uses the RJ-45 on the IC706 series of radios which seems to be a more mechanically sound connection.

Buy the rig. It's great...just be ready for "you've got mic cord problems" to be heard from the speaker.

73 es gud DX,
Michael
WN5T

WX4MET Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2004 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, but gets pretty warm  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my FT-2600M for about a year and a half now, and have had no problems with it! I do have mine in a base setup in my home. Something I have observed probably not more than three times was that after turning on my power supply the radio would not come on. I had to completely unplug the power supply from my wall outlet and put it back in before the radio would come on. After that it was back to normal! I think this was due to the power supply however, and not something with the radio.
The only other thing about this radio is that it heats up very quickly. Even transmitting on five watts will cause it to get very warm, if you place your hand on the bottom of the radio. Transmit on sixty and it's too hot to leave your hand on for very long! Be certain to make sure the radio has good ventilation, no matter where its operating environment is. This is a great radio, and I will continue to recommend it to anyone!

K7TYE Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2004 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like this radio. I had it mounted in my truck for about two years. It never let me down. I only lost the memories once in the entire time I've had it. Radio has good receive and transmit. I always got great comments on transmit. It scans fairly fast which is nice when listening to multiple frequencies. The 8 character alphanumeric display is very nice. The menu system was easy to learn. Having the front facing speaker is a plus but I would still reccomend an external one for even better audio. I would definetely buy another one of these if I ever needed a 2m again.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2003 22:27 Send this review to a friend
good performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
ive had mine for 2 years now and have not had any problems withanything.ran 60watts for hours at a time and yah it got warm but they all do.memory problems?i havent.speaker works excellent,scan is super fast,display is easy to read,etc etc.take it for what its worth,this is a very good radio and i wouldnt hesitate to buy another one or do it again.

REMOVED_KB8UYZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2003 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using primarily Yaesu equipment lately, and have great success with the rigs. I purchased a 2600M in late 2002 and use it as my primary FM base radio. I have it stacked on an FT-100D and both are using a Yaesu 25 amp switching power supply. I primarily use the radio on simplex, using a Diamond V-2000 tri-band base antenna at 40 feet fed with 5/8" hardline. The setup works perfectly. As for the heat issues, I have a small 3" fan mounted directly behind the radio and it comes on automatically as the radio warms up. After long rag-chew sessions on simplex, the radio is still cool to the touch at 25-watts or 60-watts.

WA9AFM Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2003 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a radio for mobile APRS. The FT-1500M was at the top of the list till I was offered the 2600M by a local ham who got it on sale from HRO for a price he just couldn't pass up. It had been fired up once to test and sat on the shelf for several months. I liked the 2600M's four power settings vs the usual three or two on most rigs. The DB-9 data connector was also a big plus. The 2600M is built like a tank! I put it on the bench and tried it on the air; audio reports were excellent. I had fleeting thoughts of making it a base rig as the front facing speaker is feature you don't see anymore. Anyway....I hooked it to a TinyTrakIII, ran the power cables, stuffed it under the front passenger seat, and connected it to a 1/4 wave 'chocolate chip' magmount. It's been cooking away for several months now without a problem. If you want a solid, simple data radio, pickup a 2600M and enjoy!

M1PAC Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2003 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Brill Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this radio so I could get back on the air On 2 Mtrs around my local community.It is one of the best 2 mtr radios I have owned so far .
There have been ones that I wished I could own But the 2600 has all I need in a 2 Mtr Radio.

That front end is just amazing and the 60W of output power used to shut my little 10a regulated power supply down,but I went 10a Switched mode and that seemed to cure it .
The data socket on the back means that I can use UI-VIEW (aprs) or Packet radio.
I can see me having this radio for quite a while yet. Thanks go to Alan (G8WXR) for selling me the radio.

M1PAC